Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 25, 2017, 04:46 am

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Games and Stuff With Wires
| | |-+  Elder Scrolls 26: Skyrim
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls 26: Skyrim  (Read 31986 times)
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 17, 2016, 05:17 pm »

On my way from Morthal to the Pale, I ran across a company of Stormcloaks: a quick headcount totalled fifty. I've never seen that many NPCs in a single area before in my life.

I decided to run along with them as an outrider for a bit since they were going my way and watch them steamroller through bandits and hostiles.

They eventually marched straight into the Imperial camp and an amazing pitched battle followed. There must have been eighty NPCs all duking it out in the snow.

'Massacre' is not too strong a word for what transpired.

spermos thermos
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 14, 2016, 10:56 pm »

Hey guys I just found out about this video,

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhBiNx749Zw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhBiNx749Zw</a>

by reading this tread. Also, I started Skyrim for my first time ever recently, because of the remastered thing. I'm a level 21 summoner/healer/heavy armor person. I got the Fists of Steel perk early, but I forgot about it until the video rekindled my passion for fisting. Anyone know where I can get the best gauntlets, short of spending five perks in Smithing? I can't think of a good way to frame my "best gauntlets" question on the Wikia.

Also, how do I get kill cameras with punches, like in the video? I tried punching with both hands. That was my only idea. I've punched a lot of people to death and never seen a finishing move.

Fuck science and fuck Jesus.
spermos thermos
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 14, 2016, 11:06 pm »

I don't care about spoilers. I only play for the murder.

Skeletonic
Skeletronic
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

FIGHT ME IRL

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 15, 2016, 05:21 am »

The highest base defense value Heavy Armor in the game is Daedric Armor, so Daedric Gauntlets will be best. However, Daedric pieces don't start to spawn as loot until level 48, or very rarely you could get it in boss chests (chests at the end of major dungeons, chests guarded by Dragon Priests, Bandit Chiefs, Quest bosses etc). Enemy NPCs level 49+ have a chance to have Daedric armor. Daedric armor is Ebony armor with a Deadra heart also used in the smithing. There's an ebony mine you can get to pretty early, there's also a few Daedra hearts lying around (there's one in the room of Kodlak Whitemane of the Companions in Whiterun that you can steal). Getting the materials is easy, but you'll still need to get yourself up the Heavy armor side of the smithing tree.

There is no guaranteed place to get them in the game. Smithing your way there shouldn't be that bad, especially if you have the Ars Metallica mod that expands the smithing system so you get more smithing exp overall from every smithing task. I think it also lets you break down random drops back into usable ingots. So instead of selling off your dungeon loot to merchants, you can take all the iron / steel / dwarven etc armor and weapons into ingots then smith them back into something else, getting smithing Xp and then still having something to sell. I recommend the Ars Metallica mod, it's pretty highly rated and hasn't interfered with any other mods for me.

Alternatively, you could just cheat spawn a pair if you don't want to grind for them or wait for chance drop. Even if you do that, smithing is still worth investing some time in because upgraded armor is extremely better than base armor late in the game.

Edit: To your second question, from what I can find, there are only a handful of unarmed kill moves and they seem to trigger on Critical. I'm assuming critical hit chance is low for Unarmed combat.

Edit 2: If you don't want to deal with getting the Daedric gauntlets, you can start finding or buying (from merchants and blacksmiths) Ebony gauntlets around level 30. Again, I can't really overstate how useful spending those Smithing perks will be in the long run, and if you ultimately don't care, just cheat yourself some Daedrics.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 09:36 am by Skeletonic » Logged

if loving me is wrong, everybody is right
spermos thermos
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 15, 2016, 02:13 pm »

Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine I'll spent the perks. Thanks for the info.

spermos thermos
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 17, 2016, 09:42 pm »

I've hoarded a sufficient load of perks. Any tips for smith grinding? Grind smithing? I won't complain if anyone repeats information from the video. If you know a good way to make profit$$$, that would help too. I'm already spending all my money on Conjuration points. So I could use even more money to blow on Smithing.

Skeletonic
Skeletronic
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

FIGHT ME IRL

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 17, 2016, 11:31 pm »

Early in the game you can grind up your smithing by just making a shit ton of iron daggers which you can then turn around and sell. In fact this used to be the fastest way to do it, but they patched it at some point so that has diminishing returns. As far as I know, the amount of exp you get is directly proportional to the complexity of the thing you're smithing (# of materials required) and its tier (if you've got the steel perk, smithing steel is worth more than smithing iron, etc). So my best advice is to invest in smithing early and often so you never have to deal with it again. It's expensive, but get in the habit of using loot selling to buy ingots and ore to make ingots. Always be smithing whatever the highest tier available is (for example if you're up to Orcish armor, prioritize that).

Also, a good idea is to enchant everything you smith. You probably have soul tap or a weapon that can soul tap by now, and lesser soul gyms are so ubiquitous as to basically be free. Enchanted items sell for a higher price.

So, essentially, you're looking at this loop:

>Spend what you can to get a bunch of material.

>Smith some shit.

>Enchant that shit.

>Sell that shit.

>Go do a couple quests and side dungeons, sell loot.

Repeat as necessary. You'll not have a lot of pocket gold while you're doing this loop, but it works pretty fast. If you play pretty regularly this should max your smithing out in just a couple sessions.

As for making gold, do bounties often. They average 100-500 gold, but you'll get as much if not more from looting during the quests. Sell dragon bones and scales, dragonbone armor isn't worth the hoarding. Magic shit sells for high prices generally, kill every punk wizard you see, and always enchant junk before selling it if you can. If I'm not mistaken, soul tap works on animals, so you can pretty much always have a flush supply of lesser soul gems with souls in them ready to enchant stuff.

Side dungeons reset/repopulate after a month in game time (30 days, you can see the month on the Wait screen). Lower tier mines (iron, corundum etc) also reset in a month. Orichalcum and Ebony mines take longer.

Also, on the outskirts of Dawnstar, under a tree, there's a chest you can access very early game that has 750 gold and a bunch of enchanted shit. It belongs to a khajit merchant who will attack you, but fuck that cat and take its shit.

Forsworn are good to farm because they tend to have gems on them which sell for more gold than typical bandits tend to have in gold. Pro tip: if you pickpocket a Briar heart's briar heart it will die instantly, so no reason to brawl those fuckers if you can sneak up on them.

Honestly, it seems like more grinding than it is, imo. Once you've maxed out smithing and you've gotten to a point where you have really good armor, you'll stop spending money on it and very soon you'll have more gold than you know what to do with. On one of my longer save files, I've got all the houses in the game bought, millions in gold, and a chest with more gems than carry weight would allow me to carry. Trust me, you'll stop caring about gold very quickly.

That's pretty much the best advice I can think of short of just cheating your smithing skill perk to 100, which is a totally fair option if you don't want to grind.

HyperGlavin
bridge and tunnel dyke
Probably a postbot

I'm a cool guy irl

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 19, 2016, 08:35 pm »

When I played through as a thief, I made money and upped my smithing skill super quickly just by making jewellery from all the gold and gems I acquired. It's a great way to fence stolen merch that shopkeepers won't otherwise touch. If you're going this route, there's a bandit hideout just north of whiterun that contains a spell tome for transmutation, that'll allow you to turn iron ingots into silver and silver into gold. So you can also grind your magic skills at the same time. That's probably not faster than skel's method, but it had the advantage of being doable alongside my regular rogueish activities rather than having to set aside hours of crafting and bartering at a time and messing with the flow of gameplay.

Yes, come on, get a dog up you, you rapscallion.
Skeletonic
Skeletronic
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

FIGHT ME IRL

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 20, 2016, 01:49 am »

I also forgot to mention there are skill tutors in the game. There are 4 blacksmiths that can teach you 5 levels of Smithing each for a total of 20 (in case you don't do arithmetic i guess). It's expensive but after you buy the skills from them you should be able to pickpocket your gold back.

The ones I know for sure are the orc smith in Markarth, Eorlund Greymane by Jorvaskr in Whiterun, and Balimund of Riften. If you have Dawnguard, which you should if you're playing the SE, one of those guys teaches smithing after the quests, which are totally worth doing.

Also, pickpocketing tip: if you reverse-pickpocket a paralysis poison into anyone's pocket and paralyze them, your next pickpocket is 100% guaranteed. This is the best way to pickpocket large sums of gold or stuff from people.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 02:01 am by Skeletonic » Logged

thermus aquaticus
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 20, 2016, 01:46 pm »

Every trainer I've encountered resets their five-session limit every time I level up. Maybe that was patched in recently. Picking-pocket hadn't occurred to me. That's why I was blowing all my cash on Conjuration. Hopefully they haven't patched out this Pickpocket trick.

I was able to try smith grinding a little, and it leveled fast, so good.

Wooer et ass, 2013
thermus aquaticus
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 20, 2016, 04:12 pm »

I got the transmute book. Thanks.

Hey, what's this?

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Atronach_Forge

A way to bypass Smithing? One problem is that I can't figure out whether this Sigil Stone is something I can get more than one of. If so, there seems to be an exploit where I can make stuff out of it, and snatch it before it's consumed.

Wooer et ass, 2013
Skeletonic
Skeletronic
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

FIGHT ME IRL

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 20, 2016, 05:06 pm »

OH, yeah, I guess you can use that to farm for a Daedra set, but because it's random each time and you need a daedra heart each time, it's less convenient than just smithing exactly what you need since you might end up with 4 helmets and 2 armor pieces. Plus, to get a steady supply of Sigils stones is annoying IMO, and way more tedious than just smithing.

Your mileage may vary though, since I never really got into the spellcasting outside of utility spells like healing. I don't think magic is very fun in skyrim, and the inventory system sucks if you're juggling spells.

thermus aquaticus
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 22, 2016, 02:46 pm »

I've had it with pets. Dogs are death magnets and armored trolls disappear after roughly 5 map loads. But I think I'll try Vigilance. Word is he has a high level cap, so maybe he won't die. I guess I'm trying to say I still want pets despite their poor performance.

Wooer et ass, 2013
thermus aquaticus
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 24, 2016, 12:28 pm »

I've got bad news Vigilance is toast.

Wooer et ass, 2013
Skeletonic
Skeletronic
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

FIGHT ME IRL

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 24, 2016, 09:44 pm »

yeah i find the pets and companions to be pretty useless in general. the only really useful/good companion IMO is the one from the Dawnguard story. she has a personality and can't be killed because of quest significance so you don't have to worry about killing them like every other dumbass useless companion that gets in your way.

that being said, if you are gonna fumble around with a companion don't forget you can make them trigger chests and do lockpicks and stuff if you need to

thermus aquaticus
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 25, 2016, 12:56 am »

I did like Serana, but she kept turning me into a vampire. Not intentionally, but just by hanging out with her, through some bug. I'm even a werewolf and it happens. She also offed a dog, but everyone does that.

Now I'm rolling with Ingjard (also from Dawnguard), because she's level capless. She rarely dies her arrow shooting is often helpful. I'm getting into tanking lately, so I need someone to do the fighting.

Wooer et ass, 2013
thermus aquaticus
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 26, 2016, 06:18 pm »

Level 40, and here's the point where my build plan isn't possible without lists and charts. It's going to be quite ultimate, so now I'm mostly planning for my gratuitous displays of victory. I even have a plan for getting the dead bodies of my adversaries back to my house, to make a dead body pile in my trophy room. They'll stay there, won't they?

Wooer et ass, 2013
thermus aquaticus
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 26, 2016, 06:25 pm »

I looked it up and they don't :(

Wooer et ass, 2013
Skeletonic
Skeletronic
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

FIGHT ME IRL

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 27, 2016, 01:25 am »

i've been experimenting with punching some more since you mentioned it and i had really enjoyed my punch-run, and I seem to have most success getting the cutscene kills when i do the two handed power attack (pulling both triggers/attack buttons for the 3 hit combo)

thermus aquaticus
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 27, 2016, 03:34 am »

I don't think anyone's mentioned these yet:

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Gloves_of_the_Pugilist_(Skyrim)

My calculations show that you can more than double your punch damage by learning that enchantment, if you max out Enchanting. One reason I'm working on that now. That's why I'm stuck hunting goats.

Wooer et ass, 2013
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length