Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2014, 01:10 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Dumbtown
| | |-+  nerds fucking suck
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 92 Print
Author Topic: nerds fucking suck  (Read 114046 times)
Honest Abe
Chairman, Pug Club Local 80085
Posthulhu

join pug club! ask me how!

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2011, 03:37 pm »

girl writes article about going out on a date with a fucking nerd, fucking nerds react like fucking nerds

it's essentially reverse slut shaming.
RummyLu
The PUNisher
Holocaust Princess

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 03:45 pm »

Why are so many dumb things spawned from Gawker Media?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 03:58 pm by RummyLu » Logged

"Iíll retract the rape complaint from the wombat, because heís pulled out."
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Posthulhu

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 05:10 pm »

Imagine what sheíd have to say about me, a fan of My Little Pony? I canít imagine the kind of assumptions someone this judgemental would make for a 30 year old who enjoys a cartoon aimed towards young girls because hey, itís really really the farthest thing from Rape Culture and is the perfect way to come down off being triggered and to come up when suicide-ally depressed.
DoctorShenanigans

DEFINITELY Not Qualified To Practice Medicine

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 07:22 pm »

Nerds are seriously the fucking worst, man.

I mean, it's worth remembering that the article was a bad article - it named names, it served no purpose, and came off as shallow, taunting, and mean.  Some negative response to this article would have been justified, because it was Not Very Good.

But now you've got Internet Males galore who've targeted the writer as being some sort of huge symbol everything that makes Internet Males unhappy.  Giant assholes on some sort of fucking nerd crusade because a woman had the temerity to have opinions on the internet.  Dudes who defend the guy she went out with to the point of fetishizing him, even after he's stated repeatedly that he really didn't have any problem with the article in the first place.

This whole thing just really makes me despair for my gender and my profession, honestly.  Ugh.

I am a mobile game designer, check out my NEW PORTFOLIO!
BSam
Hally Porter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 07:27 pm »

You're also a professional Magic: The Gathering player?
drunkpiano
Je m'appelle
Technocratic Libertarian

Hurry up, Tommy, before zee Germans get here.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 07:32 pm »

Nerds are seriously the fucking worst, man.

I mean, it's worth remembering that the article was a bad article - it named names, it served no purpose, and came off as shallow, taunting, and mean.  Some negative response to this article would have been justified, because it was Not Very Good.

It did not serve no purpose. She used a personal (and pretty amusing, really) anecdote to illustrate a larger point. That point being: know who you're meeting before you meet them.

Kybard
society's stared-at man
Mod

HOW ARE YOU

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 07:35 pm »

the piece breaks down the horrible self-entitlement and victimhood-complex-ing of nerd culture pretty nicely. I don't despair for my gender so much as I am irritated by members of my gender who are too dumb/self-satisfied to do anything other than get defensive and loathsome when called out on ugly patterns of behavior. see also: that whole penny arcade dickwolves nonsense.

(as an aside, sady doyle is fucking awesome)

but it's not so great when you consider that it's coming from an alive lady
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer
*ACCOUNT DELETED*

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 08:08 pm »

Has the article been edited after the blow up or did I just miss her using his name, because all I found that ID'ed the guy was saying he was a Magic World Champion. Googling that I wasn't able to get some definitive name for the dude in question until I searched for it with her name also in the search, and that was obviously only linking to articles which came out after the fact referencing how she wrote a thing and it was about that dude.
HyperGlavin
hellafancy
Probably a postbot

Magnificent ass-haver

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 08:33 pm »

I think they edited it out. The Australian sister site even had an intellectually insulting editorial response that I couldn't finish reading because it was written by one of those asshats that refers to women as 'females' and yet wonders why they don't appreciate nerd culture.

[19:13] <EFHRK> Calvin the Coward
[19:13] <%ZachJ> Calvin the Unremarkable
[19:13] <oball> Calvin the Gross
[19:13] <@buttebot> Calvin the Butt
DoctorShenanigans

DEFINITELY Not Qualified To Practice Medicine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 08:43 pm »

Yeah, the article was edited pretty heavily for tone after the first wave of the shitstorm hit. 

Section 3 of this breakdown/analysis of the situation has all the parts that were changed or taken out, if you're interested.  I might also recommend giving the breakdown a read - dude calls out a lot of the shitty Internet Male behaviors of his fellow nerds.

I am a mobile game designer, check out my NEW PORTFOLIO!
HyperGlavin
hellafancy
Probably a postbot

Magnificent ass-haver

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 09:36 pm »

Oh, so the Aussie version was left unedited. And it's still incredibly fucking tame.

ATTENTION NERDS: THIS IS WHY PEOPLE BULLY YOU - YOU MAKE IT TOO EASY NOT TO DO IT.

Zach
Artist, Allusionist, Ape
Admin

Human, all too human

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 11:57 pm »

nnnNNNNEEEERRRDS!!!

StumpNasty
Fart Master

can't burg

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 12:57 am »

When all this blew up I found the original article to pretty mean, and still do, if only for the fact that she went out on a second date with this guy just to gather up more material so she could slam him later. Say the roles were reversed: A guy goes meets up with a woman through an online dating service and it turns out her photo was heavily misleading in the face department. Now not only does this guy plan to write how jesus fuck this girl is ugly LOL! but he's going to on another date with her, this time a sham one, just to be able to say he did. And after THAT he's gonna address an audience about how super nasty dog ugly holy balls this girl is OMG.

That may not be a perfect analogy, but I'm trying to say that what Bereznak did with the article was objectively mean.  At the root of it all she was just being prejudice and mean-spirited against a certain hobby or lifestyle, which is completely fine. I just hope she didn't expect to be applauded for it.

On the other hand, there are few things in the world that I hate more than (as Kybard put it) the self-entitlement and victimhood-complex-ing of nerd culture. How hard it must be to come up in the world as an intelligent white male in a first-world country. THERE SHOULD BE A CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT FOR GUYS THAT ARE INTIMIDATED BY WOMEN WE WILL NOT BE OPPRESSED BY TITS ANY LONGER. This freak-out backlash against Bereznak highlights the worst of the demographic: Raging insecurity and mob mentality channeled into hateful words and actions.

So I think there are two sides to this coin is all. I don't think Jon Finkle needs defending just because he was made fun of, nor do I think it's right that Bereznak is feeling the almighty wrath of the collective socially inept hive-mind. Just bitch-ass people being bitch-ass people on all sides.

i fuck like T.T. Boy you don't know what i do
HyperGlavin
hellafancy
Probably a postbot

Magnificent ass-haver

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 01:06 am »

See, I saw the second date as giving the guy the benefit of a doubt. If she'd only had the one date with the guy and dropped him without trying to learn more about his involvement in something that is a huge part of his life, then she'd look even more shallow and unforgiving. Basically, when you air your personal dramas out over the internet, there are endless ways people can spin it out of proportion.

Chez San
Busko Tungus
Posthulhu

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 01:38 am »

ďNerdĒ is thrown around like itís a BAD thing. I work in the gaming industry. I DO NOT play Magic, but have respect for the strategy you must have to play that game. Letís also touch base on the fact that you tried to find an online date and didnít do the leg work. Had you done what he most definitely did (PsstÖ itís called RESEARCH) you wouldnít have accepted the date nor publicized how petty and terrible you really are. Enjoy the single life and size D batteries, sister, because youíre just the worst.

To the guy she went out with: Keep it real man. Do what you do, CHAMP.
Remington Lonespear
#buttchat
Alcoholic Gandalf

Neil deGrasse Tyson for the motherepic shit win

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 02:26 am »

Really I think everyone involved with this overreacted--Alyssa B. overreacted to the fact that she accidentally went on a date with a nerd, and then a bunch of nerds overreacted to her overreaction by doing what nerds always do.  Jon Finkel remains cool as ice, though.

I can see where they response is coming from--she's basically using this guy as an example of something that is completely wrong with the dating world--but really the only thing he's guilty of is being a Magic player.  It's not like he was otherwise unpleasant, the fact that he was a Magic player was literally the worst thing about him.  And that's a totally fine reason to not want to date someone--I wouldn't date a woman who spent every weekend training dogs for dog shows because that's not something I'm attracted to.  All her friends would be dog trainers or veterinarians and I'd probably get caught training a dog to lick peanut butter off my balls or something and I just can't go back to prison.

Where she went wrong was when she tried to present it as though going on a date with someone who didn't mention their nerdy hobby on OK Cupid is like a really horrifying thing that might happen to other women if they don't Google their dates' names first.  There's this "women be warned, if you don't do your research you might accidentally end up on a date with a guy who likes Halo too much" kind of vibe to the whole thing.  She makes it seem unacceptable that nerds don't have to discuss their hobbies on their dating profiles because they might infiltrate regular people dating sites and end up on a date with non-nerd women.

But as far as I could tell, that's all anyone was actually upset about, and like Calvin said it's fucking tame as shiiiiiiiiit.  I admit when I first read it that I was like "up yours, article writer", and then I remembered that the article wasn't about me and really, what she said was fucking not a big deal, no matter how big the tech blog is that she posted it on.  But people on the internet, nerds especially, are by and large retarded and will blow any little thing that slightly upset them completely beyond the concept of "out of proportion."

(As an aside, I honestly think that the article was poorly written regardless of the content and if it had been done up with a more tongue-in-cheek tone, it could have been a legitimate hit rather than a flamebait article that only got hits because of the controversy surrounding it.  But I digress.)

In the end, the internet sprung into action and just proved every point she was making.  Magic: The Gathering suddenly became interchangeable with whatever crazy obsessive thing each commenter was a fan of and Alyssa was targeting them and they needed to fight back.  Not only was the way they responded retarded, but the fact they responded at all.  I would be honestly fucking terrified if I were a woman and I ended up on a date with a guy who said he "reads Gawker every day" because based on the way this article went down I'm pretty sure he'd be a sexist dillweed who posts videos of himself unboxing collector's edition hentai video games on Youtube. 

At the end of the day, though, that Jon Finkel is a cool motherfucker for doing the right thing and just not really giving a fuck.  I think that's really the best response to this article-- unfortunately it's never one that internet commenters think about taking.

[18:30] <JonasSalk> lee was bring nerds together forever
Remington Lonespear
#buttchat
Alcoholic Gandalf

Neil deGrasse Tyson for the motherepic shit win

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 02:26 am »

I retroactively apologize in advance for the long ass post you're about to maybe read.

[18:30] <JonasSalk> lee was bring nerds together forever
nchammer326
Hurker

I'm charming, I'm dashing, I'm rental-car bashing

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 02:52 am »

Finkel did an AMA on Reddit (where pretty much everyone flipped their shit over the whole thing) and demonstrated his coolness:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/jz3u7/iama_jon_finkel_ask_me_anything/

How was the actual date? Did you text her to tell her she was being a total bitch after she posted the article? Are you angry? Do you think it was unfair for her to call you out by name?

Quote from: Finkel
Look I think it's kind of uncool to do what she did. I dont really want my personal life out in public, and I think theres a sort of general understanding that you don't blog about someone you went out with using their real name in an attempt to denigrate them, especially if they weren't an asshole.

That said I dont think these thoughts were necessarily going through her head, and it seems like enough people are giving her a hard time without me. I dont think this invalidates her as a human being or anything.

Then you're handling this much, much better than I ever could.

I'm 33 years old. Sometime around my mid 20s it turned out that girls like me. The 20 year old version of me would probably have taken this much, much harder.

A stupid note is produced. It's the one assholes play to make their audience start punching themselves in the crotch repeatedly.
Lladnek
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 02:57 am »

The responses were just awful. No excuse for those, especially all the whiny butthurt memes that spawned because of it(which appear to be gone from meme generator). it was as if the nerds got kicked really hard, because that guy was RICH too, if that doesn't save a nerd then well there's nothing left but draino! I can't shake the feeling though that Alyssa was just trolling to begin with, because that article was seriously terrible, I remembered why I don't read Gizmodo, except for interesting science articles when they show up there first.

Also, I like Sady Doyle (especially the thing about Game of Thrones being creepy), but I think this was the wrong thing to lecture nerds over, especially because she spent all this time focusing on the response to the article and only a small amount of time saying to make the guy anonymous. The entire point of the article would have been different if it were anonymous, her point seemed to be that she was going to be as entertainingly mean as possible about a guy who probably didn't see it coming.

I don't think that is a terrible offense but its not exactly fair, because how do you know that she wasn't half-assing the date the whole time for the purpose of making an article? Which again, isn't wrong, but I'm less likely to take her side if she's just mining for material in her personal life. I also find it hard to believe that a person familiar with writing online in blog form wouldn't be familiar with google.

But anyway, yeah fuck nerds. seriously, these guys whining are probably the same nerds who make black jokes all loud in my face like I've not heard them all way too many times.
HyperGlavin
hellafancy
Probably a postbot

Magnificent ass-haver

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 03:34 am »

I'm 33 years old. Sometime around my mid 20s it turned out that girls like me. The 20 year old version of me would probably have taken this much, much harder.

Translation: "You guys desperately need to get laid."

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 92 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length