Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 25, 2017, 04:40 am

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Linkies
| | |-+  Excellent Podcasts
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Excellent Podcasts  (Read 6964 times)
Finlander
Captain Obvious

I am become Walrus, destroyer of goo goo ga joob

View Profile WWW
« on: September 23, 2011, 03:26 pm »

A thread for linking any kind of internet-delivered audio-only recordings of speech to be played with your music device that are consistently good. I would personally prefer educational ones over comedy, but that's just me.

Currently I've been listening to this one series on the Byzantine Empire called 12 Byzantine Rulers that I've really gotten into. It's about a time and place in history that is usually sort of glossed over, so it doesn't really matter that it's pretty general, not getting into any real specifics, but going by the most important emperors and explaining major wars and policies and so on. I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in history.

Anyone else got anything?

20:50   soberpiano   i guess i could sort of see the distinction if i choked myself until i could no longer understand the significance of language
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer
Killer Blob Supporter

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 04:07 pm »

I am on the exact other end, preferring comedy podcasts, particularly ones which delve into the stand up comic world which has always been a place that's pretty fascinating to me. I've got two that I listen to regularly, usually if I'm playing a game like Oblivion or Dragon Age where I don't always need the sound, or if I've got a long workout on a given day.

Sklarbro Country - if you don't know the Sklar brothers they are identical twins that do stand up, and also used to have a MST3K-style sports show on ESPN Classic called Cheap Seats. Their podcast is sports-oriented, though they often have reader emails from people that aren't big sports fans that still listen, and similarly their guests are often not all sports fans (ie, Patton Oswalt has been on) since the jokes are for the most part not inside-jokes about sports. Instead the general concept for the opening is picking out the more ridiculous stories in sports (things like Gilbert Arenas' shark grotto, Ashley Cole shotting an intern) and making jokes about them. After that they bring out a guest who is somebody in the comedy field generally as a stand up, but also they've had non-stand ups, including most of the cast of Always Sunny who they know from being the DJs in the dance off. They talk with the guest about his career and comedy experiences and whatnot. The sports segments are usually strong and a fun round up of the best sports nonsense of the past week, while the guest segments are usually funny and also pretty interesting to hear about all the different paths through the industry that lead to the varying level of stars-to-grinders they talk with.

The Joe Rogan Experience - like with Sklarbro Country, Rogan's guests are often other comics, though he also occasionally has non-comics like MMA fighter Jason Miller or Anthony Bordain, which was just recently and an especially fascinating episode to listen to. There's no real set format to the show or anything, and it's not uncommon for them to be drunk or otherwise intoxicated for them, so sometimes they get rambling, but usually still in entertaining fashion. Sometimes you have to take Rogan with a grain of salt as he has some wonky beliefs he'll go off on from time to time, but in general it's always a good listen, and given it has 200+ episodes already, they're 2-3 hours each and he does multiple new ones each week if you like it you're almost certain to never run out of content. The Dane Cook episode was a pretty interesting one, since Rogan is famous for kind of really blowing up the whole Mencia thing, and Cook is probably the second most famously accused major comic behind Mencia, and they spend a good amount of time dealing with all that.
Kybard
society's stared-at man
Mod

HOW ARE YOU

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 05:26 pm »

I also mostly listen to comedy podcasts:

The Bugle is John Oliver and some other British guy being hilarious.

The Flop House, though it updates irregularly and you should largely avoid any of the many guest-host episodes, is the funniest talking-about-bad-movies podcast there is.

Mike And Tom Eat Snacks is where Michael Ian Black and Tom Cavanaugh eat snacks. it is usually amusing and occasionally wonderful

for educational, though, you necessarily must subscribe to all the How Stuff Works podcasts. general knowledge, history, ladybusiness, technology, etcetera.

but it's not so great when you consider that it's coming from an alive lady
DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

#1 Internet Content Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 06:36 pm »

i met you under the queensboro bridge, you were jerking off punks for 15 dollars a man

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6g5fncB-LI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6g5fncB-LI</a>

MadPiper6
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 09:06 pm »

Welcome to Night Vale is news and weather from a small desert town that is haunted by an undying evil city council and unnameable horrors and sweet tunes it's PRETTY GOOD http://feeds.feedburner.com/WelcomeToNightVale

norumaru
Columns: 2, Pillars: 4,

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 06:57 am »

Skeptic.com's Monster Talk podcast is a podcast where skeptics talk about monsters.

Basically, the hosts invite people who have researched a monster figure from folklore or pop culture and have a chat about it. The basic framework is a skeptic perspective on monsters as a cultural phenomenon, so most episodes have refreshingly little smugness and pointless debunking, and are more about what the story is, and why it is compelling to those who believe it, those who tell it and those who research it.

Don't discriminate, you retards, racism is gay
Kybard
society's stared-at man
Mod

HOW ARE YOU

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 09:50 am »

This American Life is the obvious pick but my dark horse candidate for best NPR/WNYC podcast is On The Media. excellent, broad-ranging, witty media criticism -- like a sophisticated radio-based Daily Show (not nearly as funny, but much more in-depth). both hosts are generally excellent, aggressive devil's-advocate interviewers, not letting people off the hook even when they might agree with the guest.

FizzlePop
All yours
Fart Master

Why do we want to eat the people we love

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 07:00 am »

I'd like to second welcome to nightvale. It is the only podcast i've actually liked enough to put on my mp3 player and listen to on the bus or train or whatevs. The stories are wonderful and the dude has a voice like honey.
DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

#1 Internet Content Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 04:17 pm »

Sometimes I listen to random episodes of Comedy Bang Bang. Here's an episode with Tim Heidecker and Jon Daly arguing about Guy Fieri. It's amazing.

"I am not a shocking disc jockey" - Scott Aukerman

norumaru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 02:46 am »

We should have some tetrapod zoology up in here. Darren Naish, a paleontologist, and John Conway, a zoologist, talk about dinosaurs, evolution, general animal weirdness and hijinks that occur among the people researching these things. Regular themes are newly published species, fun and informative debunking of cryptozoologist and weird archaeologist claims, and listener questions, such as which tetrapod is the most flammable.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 02:52 am by norumaru » Logged

Nicol
Time Vampire
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 10:25 am »

http://serialpodcast.org/

This follows a murder of a young schoolgirl in Baltimore in 1999. A guy is arrested, but was he wrongly convicted? It's a weekly thing, so far we've got three episodes. Very good production and very immersing.

i came up in this world so cold. that's why my heart's on froze
Liz
Mayonnaise Boy

Tonight, my bed is on the ocean.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 11:04 pm »

http://swordandscale.com/

Sword and scale is a criminal justice program that's pretty new. I've been binge listening to it and it's always pretty heavy. I appreciate that it covers police corruption and failures in the system while talking about notable crimes and forensic psychology and junk.

This one is about corruption in Jennings, Louisianan that a lot of people think partially inspired True Detective.

There are a few things that bug me about it, but it's really good for such a young podcast done by one dude.

Quote from: Zach
there's nothing liz can say that doesn't sound like something liz would say
Kybard
society's stared-at man
Mod

HOW ARE YOU

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 07:52 am »

http://serialpodcast.org/

This follows a murder of a young schoolgirl in Baltimore in 1999. A guy is arrested, but was he wrongly convicted? It's a weekly thing, so far we've got three episodes. Very good production and very immersing.

Serial is super good

another good (very different) new-ish serialized podcast is StartUp, which is tracking a guy who used to work for NPR's Planet Money starting his own podcasting company

norumaru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 07:26 am »

I've been listening to No Such Thing As A Fish almost non stop lately. It's a weekly thing where four of the fact-finding "elves" from QI get together, share their favourite fact of that week's research and banter about it. It's great both for listening and or putting on in the background. Basically QI with more facts, no klaxons and no uhm-I-don't know.

Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 06:02 pm »

I listen to a lot of podcasts while at my desk at work. I'm linking to the pages where there's a description and a "Listen" button, but these are on iTunes too.

Ideas is a Canadian Broadcasting Corporation program that does standalone documentary programs on many different topics, with some episodes branching out over a few episodes. A lot of them are Canada centric, but a lot of them should appeal more broadly. Kinda like a Canadian This American Life, with even fewer resources.

Here's an episode called "The Godforsaken Sea," about sailors who traverse and race in the Southern Ocean, where the closest human beings to you are sometimes the ones in the International Space Station.

I'm Sorry: The Art and Artifice of the Apology is fairly self explanatory. Features a U.S. soldier who was involved in the accidental shooting of a family in Afghanistan who seeks them out to apologize, and discusses a few other notable apologies.

This one's about truckers.
Nicol
Time Vampire
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 02:35 am »

https://twitter.com/sesamestreet/status/542794195107213313

i came up in this world so cold. that's why my heart's on froze
Citizen Snips
♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖ ♙♙♙♙♙♙♙♙ ♟♟♟♟♟♟♟♟ ♜♞♝♛♚♝♞♜
Probably a postbot

Der Zorn Gottes

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 12:08 pm »

Lately I've been listening to You Must Remember This, which is dedicated to "exploring the secret and/or forgotten histories of 20th Century Hollywood." It's very good.

EFHRK
ABORTION FORESTFUCK
Hurker

I am a huddled mass

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 05:20 am »

I recently found out a bunch of animators I like from the internet do a podcast together called SleepyCast. It's just general talk and debates but they're all super funny guys.

Here is a clip of them having a 20 minute screaming argument over what the best holiday is. It is one of my favorite moments.

The end.

EDIT: i think i have a new favorite moment
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 06:48 pm by EFHRK » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length