Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2017, 02:18 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Games and Stuff With Wires
| | |-+  Kerbal Space Program - Now on Steam
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program - Now on Steam  (Read 86118 times)
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2011, 08:38 pm »

Quote from: Mu, a KSP dev
At its heart, Kerbal Space Program is a game about creating your own space program from scratch. You construct spacecraft and launch them off into the cosmos, attempting to further the science and achievements of Kerbalkind. That or explode spectacularly on takeoff.

The game features a complete space flight simulation, where you can seamlessly go from the planetís surface up into orbit, and from there into deep space, all driven by a physics engine that simulates actual orbital mechanics, and in which every part you place on your ship has an effect on how it will flyÖ or crash. Proper planning and experimentation through trial-and-error are key to succeed, as with an actual space program. Only here, your Kerbals are perfectly ok with being strapped to an untested contraption filled with rocket fuel. Itís health and safety gone elsewhere.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmorOO58KLM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmorOO58KLM</a>

The solar system currently consists of a star, 5 planets, 2 dwarf planets, and 9 moons. You can land on any of the moons, and 4 of the 5 planets have a surface you can land on.

Setting a task then trying to figure out how to do it is a lot of fun. Feel free to ask for anything you don't know how to do, though you might wind up learning a bit of rocket science.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 02:31 pm by fermun » Logged
Captain Bravo
Captain Obvious

Mercenary Prostitute

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 01:55 am »

Did you find out about this through SA too? I just heard about this game today, and it's fun as hell but not very user-friendly. I still have no idea how to move the camera during construction, turn my rocket around to see where I'm sticking things, or why my multi-stage keeps sitting on the launchpad after launch until it inexplicably explodes.

I've sent so, so many Kerbals to their doom. I am Kerbal history's greatest monster.
rkickmon
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 07:59 am »

Where did you find it on SA?
Captain Bravo
Captain Obvious

Mercenary Prostitute

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 10:02 am »

People talking about it on the Let's Play forum, I was reading the latest Dwarf Fortress thread, and they had some Screenshots of it.
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 10:29 am »

I did see it on SA, but not the Let's Play forum. For construction: Moving the camera around is done by holding the right mouse button and moving the mouse, zooming is holding the middle button and moving forward or back with the mouse. Moving up and down is through the scroll wheel. There are a few things that are done poorly but I think overall the user interface is pretty good.

Your multi-stage is probably sitting on the launchpad getting too hot and exploding. Increase the throttle (left shift) and get your ass into the air, then throttle down (left control) to stop yourself from overheating.

You also will need to watch out on multistage rockets that you don't blow up as you separate and begin using the next stage. You usually have to wait a second or two after separating before you can start the engines on the next rocket stage.
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 02:17 pm »

I think I made a stable orbit:

Plenty of fuel left to maneuver around a bit then 1 final stage to get Jeb and family back on the ground. My goal on this will be to try to land my capsule near the pad. I'm high enough up that I should have plenty of time to maneuver, start about 5 minutes before I'm over the pad, do a retrograde burn and see if i can't land right on target.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 04:06 pm by fermun » Logged
jimbob
AKA Billy
Book Smart

Chelonoidis nigra

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 02:26 pm »

Holy fuck.

I couldn't even get it to go straight up.

fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 03:23 pm »

My rocket that did that was 6 stages of rockets.
stage 1 - 16 solid fuel boosters
stage 2 - 8 liquid fuel rockets 1 fuel tank each
stage 3 - 4 liquid fuel rockets 1 fuel tank each
stage 4 - 1 liquid fuel rocket 2 fuel tanks
stage 5 - 1 liquid fuel rocket 1 fuel tank
stage 6 - 1 liquid fuel rocket 1 fuel tank

I overshot the landing pad by quite a bit. A crazy rocket like that is necessary if you want to have a high orbit with that much fuel left over to maneuver, but you can get a lower orbit with a whole lot less.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 05:35 pm by fermun » Logged
Johnny Roastbeef
Novice LARPer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 05:36 pm »

When you're orbiting the planet you can get some really cool effects.

Because freshness is expected of any hip-hop artist, I avoid using traditional techniques.
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 05:49 pm »

Beginner's guide to orbiting:
Orbits will only be stable if you are orbiting above 40km, if your orbit ever goes below that you will hit the ground eventually.

I haven't gotten a single stage into orbit, though it is probably possible with some of the modded engines.

As you launch, increase throttle to maximum, then play with it, decrease it a bit if the engines are about to blow, then increase it if they aren't at threat of blowing up. You need to punch through the atmosphere as fast as possible otherwise you are wasting fuel. Once you hit about 25km, you should be going fast enough that momentum can carry you above 40km, so point at the horizon in the direction you want to go and get your speed up to 2000m/s, then throttle down and hold off. Watch for your apogee, when you stop rising, you need to aim in the direction of your travel and increase your speed to get a circular orbit. Consult this chart to see where the circular orbit will be: https://gist.github.com/1073201 From then on you can just play with your orbit, slow down a bit at perigee or speed up a bit at apogee to get your orbit more circular.
Johnny Roastbeef
Novice LARPer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 05:52 pm »

I've been running my orbits between 50 and 100km.  Any higher than that and you're moving very slowly.  Around 50k, one orbit should take roughly 30 minutes.

Because freshness is expected of any hip-hop artist, I avoid using traditional techniques.
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 08:42 pm »

Check it:

Johnny Roastbeef
Novice LARPer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 09:01 pm »

Nice, next step is building a rocket that has a lunar lander-esque upper stage and actually setting down manually

fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 09:21 pm »

I was aiming for the coast in the upper right of the picture, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Here's the rocket I did it with. It handles terribly, so I tossed on some RCS modules which improve maneuvering, it still handles poorly despite the RCS modules. Also, due to the game currently requiring steering to be done from parts the crew is in, the crew dies if those things are destroyed. Since I was using them, I didn't want my crew to die from the modules hitting the ground after separation, so I separated that stage at escape velocity and used the next stage to get down into a stable 60km orbit, then used the last two stages to try to stop the horizontal speed then steer the rocket into the pad.
Captain Bravo
Captain Obvious

Mercenary Prostitute

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 06:15 am »

All was well at the Kerbal Space Center, a beautiful day for a launch.
A quick recap on the controls was offered, but it was rejected. There was no time to waste, space awaited! Moments into the launch, however, copilot Bob Kerman noticed they were slowly leaning to the side. Attempts were made to manuever back into a stable launch, but they proved unsuccessful. Aborting the mission, Command ordered an emergency stage seperation, but the still-burning engine prevented complete seperation. With no other options, the solid-fuel booster was fired to seperate the sections, but this led back to the exact same problem. Panicking, Jebediah fired off the emergency parachute. This was a mistake. A very grave mistake. Back to the drawing board, brave Kerbals!
rkickmon
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 07:40 am »

Hey, Captain Bravo ever think of doing an actual let's play of the game?
Captain Bravo
Captain Obvious

Mercenary Prostitute

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 08:23 am »

A Let's Play generally involves you succeeding at the game eventually. Mine would just be page after page of Kerbals blowing up in new and exciting ways.
Parcae
Nevermind, Just Another Jerk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 09:11 am »

I would be all kinds of into that.

I like the part where he fucked the cat.
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 11:49 am »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJM-j8PLW-c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJM-j8PLW-c</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFVkRLYDFgk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFVkRLYDFgk</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgN_Fj3xt8s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgN_Fj3xt8s</a>
Johnny Roastbeef
Novice LARPer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 07:19 pm »

I tried building a ship capable of launching off a lander that could come to a powered landing at the launch site.  It tuns out I was using some modded engines with better thrust and fuel use, that technically make my ship cheating.  Regardless though, here it is.

Just after the deorbit burn.

On the way down to the launch site

Steering toward the pad, I blew this approach

But I had enough fuel to make another pass.

I made it down.  I landed at about 2 m/s with a slight horizontal velocity.  It was a decent landing, but these parts apparently don't accept any impact at all, and a couple pieces fell off

After about 2 minutes, this happened

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length