Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2017, 08:32 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  AV Club
| | |-+  The Metal Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: The Metal Thread  (Read 27940 times)
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2010, 03:11 pm »

Talk metal here, if you talk shitty metal, I will hate you.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qii59-7JAM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qii59-7JAM</a>
A really weird video but the song is awesome. Baroness is a good band, and you should probably be listening to them.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 03:39 pm by fermun » Logged
spaceboy
just some guy
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 03:15 pm »

I've got Baroness' Red Album and the Blue Record. I saw them live with Opeth. They were awesome. I like the Red Album much more than the more recent Blue Record. Are you aware that the lead singer is responsible for the album art?

Mid-Boss
Boss Before the Big One
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 03:41 pm »

He also does the album art for many other bands, and a lot of their merchandise too!

Baroness is the best.
Doctor Kill
Unicorn Cavalcade
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 05:50 pm »

What's that?  Fermun and Mid-Boss like Baroness?!

I never knew!

Baroness is pretty great, and one of the few doom/stoner bands I can get into.

In a similar musical vein, High on Fire is pretty good I GUESS.  Snakes for the Divine is good stuff, and new.   Mastodon - Oblivion off their most recent album is pretty good, but way different from their earlier stuff.

I'm a big ole fag who likes Power Metal though, so maybe I just suck.  But don't you fret, guy who cares too much about how gay I am!  This is some stuff that I think you may like even if you hate power metal:

Kiuas - Black Winged Goddess
: It's like if power metal had a baby with Death Metal.  If you hate how whimsical and fruity power metal is then you might like this.  They are from Finland and their name in English means "sauna stove."

Kamelot - When the Lights are Down
: It's power metal, but also symphonic metal, so maybe you will like it?  Who knows!  They have an opera singer vocalist from Norway, and the rest of the mostly American instrumentation is pretty good too.

Hibria - Millennium Quest
: Okay this is pretty goddamn cheesy and ridiculous, but Hibria is sort of like if Judas Priest decided that rainbows and unicorns were cool.  As a frame of reference, they have a song called "Tiger Punch."  If you were a person who liked power metal, I would explain how Brazil has some good power metal, and these dudes are from Brazil.

Pretty fag, huh?  But I also like me some Death metal too so maybe I am not totally gay?

Bloodbath - Ways to the Grave
: Pretty standard Death Metal, but they are good stuff, though somewhat slow.  For more intense death metal Krisiun is always good.  Also Deceased, though they are a bit Melodic Death.

SPEAKING OF MELODIC DEATH METAL.

Dark Tranquility - The New Build
: Melodic Death gets some flak for calling themselves Death Metal but not playing intense music but these guys have a good balance.

Insomnium - Mortal Share
: These guys don't.  They aren't very intense or extreme, which is what people look for in metal sometimes, but they have a good rhythm and are very relaxing, as far as "Death" Metal goes.

Edge of Sanity - Crimson
: What's that, you say?  Part 1 of 5?  That's because it's a 40 minute song motherfucker.  SUCK IT PROGRESSIVE METAL THESE GUYS ONE-UPPED YOU.  You don't have to listen to the whole thing, because every part of it is great.   Done by Dan Swano who is a great metal musician.

But to counter that, I'ma bust out some Technical Death Metal.

Gorod - Neuronal Disorder State
: These dudes are pretty ridiculous.  Usually their songs have more vocals, but this song is basically my favorite.

Lykathea Aflame - Land Where Sympathy is Air
: These dudes have some weird music, but it's pretty interesting.  One of their tracks is 12 minutes of bird noises.  This is not that song.

Atheist - Mother Man
: Starts off with a bass solo.  It's a jazzy kind of Death Metal, and sort of skittish in flow, but they are one of my favorite bands.

Good stuff!  Hopefully.  I also occasionally listen to black metal, but not as often.  Every black metal person knows Immortal, a Black/Thrash metal band, who are quite possibly the stupidest looking musicians in the world.  They are great. Dissection is also a good Black Metal band, because they also have elements of Death Metal in most of their songs.  Skeletonwitch is also Black-Thrash metal band who are pretty cool dudes who wear nerdy glasses when they stop playing.  
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 06:29 pm by Doctor Kill » Logged
toores vaev
Internet Person

interior crocodile alligator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 06:19 pm »

Nice to see someone like Insomnium, I thought they were really obscure, for some reason. They are a bit bland at what they do, but I still listen to them, have a CD laying around somewhere.

And DT is sweet. I liked Projector the most but I haven't really listened to them in a while. Growing old, I guess.

it would be awesome yeah if we could dance
spaceboy
just some guy
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 06:46 pm »

Also, I fucking love Neurosis. That is excellent droning horribly depressing post-apocalyptic shit right there.
toores vaev
Internet Person

interior crocodile alligator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 06:52 pm »

I personally approve of the post above.

it would be awesome yeah if we could dance
oball
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 07:17 pm »

So since Abe doesn't run this thread, we're allowed to talk about black metal, which I will now proceed to do.

Doctor Kill already mentioned Immortal, who are excellent.  Recently came back from a hiatus with another excellent album. Here's one of their older tracks - Unsilent Storms in the North Abyss.

Ulver are an interesting case, since of their first three albums, one was straight Scandinavian folk, one was raw black metal recorded in a forest, and one was a blend of the two.  Then after that they veered into ambient electronica.  Their first album, Bergtatt, is the blend, and it works amazingly well.  Here's the final track off it - Ind i Fjeldkamrene.

Of course I would be remiss if I talked about black metal without mentioning Venom and Bathory, two of the bands that pioneered the aesthetic, if not the exact sound, of BM.  In sound they are closer to thrash, but the lo-fi recording quality and lyrics focused on Satan and death were hugely inspirational on the developing black metal scene.  Hell, Venom even gave the genre its name.

Venom - Black Metal
Bathory - In Conspiracy With Satan

Varg Vikernes AKA Count Grishnackh AKA Burzum is probably one of the more notorious artists in black metal, having served 16 years in prison for stabbing his Mayhem bandmate Euronymous to death.  Despite this, his work as Burzum is pretty damn good.  In fact, Jesus Tod was the song that got me into black metal.

On the less ambient and hypnotic and more straight-up brutal side of BM we have Gorgoroth.  Notable for having probably the only openly gay frontman in black metal.  They make some excellent music.  Gorgoroth - Procreating Satan.

Of the black metal bands active today, probably my favourite is Wolves in the Throne Room from Washington state in the US.  They reject the Satan and war focus of earlier black metal bands and instead sing about nature and shit.  That may sound totally gay but they make such amazing music that it really doesn't matter.  I saw them live recently and it was less a gig than a spiritual experience (also I was really drunk at the time).  A track from their latest - Wanderer Above The Sea Of Fog.

BUTTS FOR THE BUTT GOD
Mid-Boss
Boss Before the Big One
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 01:19 am »

I'm a big ole fag who likes Power Metal though, so maybe I just suck.

Well, Power Metal is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me.
Pretty fag, huh?  But I also like me some Death metal too so maybe I am not totally gay?

I'm not a fan but I guess I won't hold it against you...

Quote from: Doctor Kill and Oball
Black Metal

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTS
oball
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 01:23 am »

Well, sorry for mentioning it.  Is this more your sort of thing?

BUTTS FOR THE BUTT GOD
Mid-Boss
Boss Before the Big One
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 01:25 am »

Just look at how low to the ground that guy gets while he plays! Amazing!
Fiction
I'M GONE STING
Posthulhu

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 06:15 am »

I like that they consider themselves a new genre of music based on how stupidly they hold their guitars.
Kybard
society's stared-at man
Mod

HOW ARE YOU

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 04:07 pm »

I have always found the genre-wrestling amongst metal fans to be hilarious and pathetic.

a lot of metal strikes me as either ponderous or fatally nerdy, so I usually stick with things that either have self-awareness (Dethklok) or groove (Kyuss, Motorhead). I skim the surface of a ton of other metal, from Slayer to Mastodon to The Sword, but usually if I try to dig deeply into any particular genre I'm just disappointed because not every guitar lick can be the one that kicks off "Freya".

but it's not so great when you consider that it's coming from an alive lady
BStiff
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 04:56 pm »

Are... are they using auto-tune in the chorus's of that song? Next thing you know T-Pain is going to be doing guest appearances in metalcore songs.

Anyways, here is my contribution to this thread;

Austrian Death Machine - It's kind of a gimmicky band but for some reason I just can't help but like them. It's the lead singer from As I Lay Dyings' side project. Hello California/Get To The Choppa

Byzantine - They broke up about two years ago but at the time their album ...And They Shall Take Up Serpents was probably one of my favorite records. Jeremiad

Between The Buried and Me - Probably one of my favorite metal bands of all time. I know everyone here probably knows about them but I feel I need to mention them anyhow. Backwards Marathon
CrumpetsAndTea
Internet Person

I am not a number! I am a free man!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 05:43 pm »

Good news everyone! Dio is getting better!
Fiction
I'M GONE STING
Posthulhu

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 06:40 pm »

I have always found the genre-wrestling amongst metal fans to be hilarious and pathetic.

a lot of metal strikes me as either ponderous or fatally nerdy, so I usually stick with things that either have self-awareness (Dethklok) or groove (Kyuss, Motorhead). I skim the surface of a ton of other metal, from Slayer to Mastodon to The Sword, but usually if I try to dig deeply into any particular genre I'm just disappointed because not every guitar lick can be the one that kicks off "Freya".

I feel kind of similarly- I know that there are differences between the types of metal, with all these weird adjectives and abuse of the suffix "core," but I just don't get most of it. It's not bad, but...I don't find it all that good either. I tend to like classic metal more, if that makes any sense.
TheDarkFlame
Uselessness Personified
Fart Wizard

Go on. Touch it. You know you want to.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 11:59 pm »

I'm a bit weird. I will listen to pretty much anything, although even I agree that Stick Stickly are just terrible. When it comes to metal I'll listen to anything, but I'm not a massive fan of screaming.
Annoyingly, my speakers are broken, and the PS3's browser pauses videos when you switch tabs, so I can't really check any of this stuff out.

Rolling all the ones, forever.
spaceboy
just some guy
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 09:24 am »

I'm not a big fan of Nile, but this song makes me want to slaughter the women and children.

Just sayin.
Doctor Kill
Unicorn Cavalcade
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 11:27 am »

More like Just SLAYin!!
Honest Abe
Chairman, Pug Club Local 80085
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

join pug club! ask me how!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 03:15 pm »

sadly no longer together, but everyone should listen to reverend bizarre

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQO3GQROBHw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQO3GQROBHw</a>

edited to add: THANK YOU FOR THE YOUTUBES DRISCOLL
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 04:35 pm by Honest Abe » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length