Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2017, 08:22 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Science! and Sports
| | |-+  FOOTIE
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36 Print
Author Topic: FOOTIE  (Read 102354 times)
Melancholic Goat
space goat coast to coast
Mod

never owned anything

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2010, 08:24 am »

Alright so I don't know how many footie fans we have here, but hopefully enough. If it's just me and Gale we'll probably still manage to keep the thread afloat.

I am going to kickstart the thread by naming MY WORLD CUP 23 for this summer. All of you should do likewise, for whatever heathen country you happen to be unfortunate enough to live in. If you live somewhere that won't be playing in the world cup, may I be the first to say holy shit your country sucks worse than New Zealand.

ENGLAND'S WORLD CUP 23

Goalkeepers:
Rob Green
Joe Hart
Paul Robinson

Defenders:
Ashley Cole
Leighton Baines
Rio Ferdinand
John Terry
Joleon Lescott
Wes Brown
Glen Johnson

Midfielders:
Steven Gerrard
Frank Lampard
Gareth Barry
Shaun Wright-Phillips
Aaron Lennon
Ashley Young
James Milner
Theo Walcott

Strikers:
Wayne Rooney
Peter Crouch
Jermain Defoe
Darren Bent
Bobby Zamora (CONTROVERSIAL)

This squad is built around two different tactics I would play if I was managing England come South Africa (yeah I'm getting way too into this, fuck you).

4-4-2:

GK - Rob Green
LB - Ashley Cole
CB - Rio Ferdinand
CB - John Terry
RB - Wes Brown
LM (free roaming) - Steven Gerrard
CM (creative role) - Frank Lampard
CM (holding role) - Gareth Barry
RW - Aaron Lennon
ST - Wayne Rooney
ST - Peter Crouch

With Ashley Cole pushing forward from left-back Gerrard has more freedom to roam. On the right of defence Wes Brown plays more of a holding role and so Lennon is restricted to the wing, which is where he plays best. Crouch and Rooney play together in a fairly typical strike partnership, Rooney having more creative and positional freedom than Crouch. This is pretty similar to Capello's ideal line-up, I think, with the exception that he'd probably swap out Heskey for Crouch or play Rooney as a lone striker, and maybe drop Lennon from the wing.

4-5-1/4-3-3:

GK - Rob Green
LB - Ashley Cole
CB - Rio Ferdinand
CB - John Terry
RB - Glen Johnson
CM (holding role) - Gareth Barry
CM - Frank Lampard
AM (playing off Rooney) - Steven Gerrard
LM/LW - Ashley Young
RM/RW - Aaron Lennon
ST - Wayne Rooney

There are so many decent attacking wingers in the squad it's easy to shift from the 4-4-2 to this formation, with attacking wingers and a solid midfield, Gerrard playing shadow striker behind Rooney. If you started with this formation, the potential to pull off Lennon and Young after 60 minutes and replace them with Walcott and Wright-Phillips - thus giving the opposition full-backs, knackered after an hour of chasing two nippy buggers, a couple of completely fresh nippy buggers to deal with - puts the opposing team and manager in something of a bind.

Well, that was a waste of half an hour. Can you do better?

(fixed typo)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 01:52 pm by Melancholic Goat » Logged

24/7 never beggin on a rain check
oball
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 08:32 am »

Quote from: Melancholic Goat
If you live somewhere that won't be playing in the world cup, may I be the first to say holy shit your country sucks worse than New Zealand.

Man.  Sucks to be you, Canada.

BUTTS FOR THE BUTT GOD
raknade
Buddy Friend Pal

Move along there there there that's that

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 09:03 am »

Fuck you, Thierry Henry.
Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 09:17 am »

Quote from: Melancholic Goat
If you live somewhere that won't be playing in the world cup, may I be the first to say holy shit your country sucks worse than New Zealand.

Man.  Sucks to be you, Canada.

oh yeah well, uh how did New Zealand do in HOCKEY? or anyone else for that matter huh? Yeah.
screw s----r anyways who needs it. hmph.

WE DO NOT USE THE S WORD IN HERE

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 11:39 am by Mr Gale » Logged
ElPolloDiablo
Internet Person

Like a Batman big on dick jokes

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 11:40 am »

I am pretty pleased with America's chances to get out of the group stage. We may not be able to beat England (I don't think we've beaten them in 60 years), but Slovenia and Algeria shouldn't be too large of problem so long as we don't see any lapses in discipline that the US seems to enjoy.

I'm not expecting a confederations cup result, but it will be nice to see us not last in the group.
Mr Gale
Unbannable
Admin

I am Poirot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 12:00 pm »

Here is my DEFINITIVE 23 man England squad.

(On the assumption everyone on the list is fit and have had some games by them and realising Beckham is now totally out and hoping Ashley makes a comeback)

Goalkeepers:
Joe Hart
Rob Green
Paul Robinson

Defenders:
Ashley Cole
Leighton Baines
Rio Ferdinand
John Terry
Joleon Lescott
Wes Brown
Glen Johnson

Midfielders:
Steven Gerrard
Frank Lampard
Gareth Barry
Stewart Downing
Aaron Lennon
Ashley Young
James Milner
Theo Walcott
Joe Cole

Strikers:
Wayne Rooney
Peter Crouch
Jermain Defoe
Darren Bent

My go to 4-4-2  would be

GK - Hart
LB - Cole
CB - Terry
CB - Ferdinand
RB - Lescott
LM - Gerrard (free roaming)
CM - Lampard (creative)
CM - Barry (holding)
RM/Winger - Lennon
ST - Rooney
ST - Crouch

I think with Harts amazing season, and the lack of experienced people with similar form it would be worth a gamble on him. I think Lescott could be a good RB, with the appropriate instructions to not risk everything on attacking runs. Otherwise its pretty much in the accepted mould of how we play, only with Crouch over Heskey... I know Crouch is terrible in the air and the role of a striking partner will be to mostly set up Rooney, but I cant seriously think its a good idea to play Heskey on the strength of his backing up Rooney skills when the man cant score.

If you are going to build the team around rooney, bring up wingers and play Rooney up front with service, dont involve Heskey.

You could throw on Walcott for Lennon if his attacking runs arent playing out.

I threw Downing in, because I think he would be the best person to replace Gerrard in that free left role if he was injured (given that Cole hasnt had much play this season.) Might be my boro bias, I guess Milner is an option for that as well.

I also built my squad up with the notion you could (similar to Goats options) switch to an attacking mid option built around Rooney, but im not going to lay that out as well, as my footie nerdness is already running pretty high.
Mr Gale
Unbannable
Admin

I am Poirot

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 12:03 pm »

As for WC predictions. We win our group, go out in the semis to probable eventual winners and at some point Rooney breaks his leg or gets red carded giving us all something to complain about.

Brazil or Spain for the win and demonstrating the real class football. African nations to do unexpectedly well, getting out of groups and everything. Australia to bomb as bad as NZ will, America I think have what it takes to get out of our group but probably no further than that.
laktose
Unbanned

SLAM DRUNK

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 12:04 pm »

Football is stupid and dumb and it makes me sad to be Norwegian.

That being said, I hope England do well this summer. I also hope Denmark totally embarrass themselves, because fuck those guys.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 01:52 pm by Melancholic Goat » Logged

i love too laugh with, my pals on this web sight
Tim
Potential Friend

You like Tim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 02:59 pm »

Both your squads suck dick.

Goalkeeper:  Robert Green, Joe Hart,  David James.

Hart is probably in the best form of those but Green edges him out because he's had more international experience.

Defenders: Glen Johnson, Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Ashley Cole, Wes Brown, Matthew Upson, Joleon Lescott, Leighton Baines.

If the injured ones don't recover I'd like Shawcross. Micah Richard would probably work too.

Midfielders: Aaron Lennon,  Frank Lampard, Gareth Barry, Steven Gerrard, Michael Carrick, James Milner, Joe Cole, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

How did you both overlook Carrick? He definitely gets into my team. Lennon is first choice if fit, I'm not a fan of Wright-Phillips but I'll take him over Walcott. Downing would be my replacement if any of these are unfit.

Forwards: ROONEY, Emile Heskey, Jermain Defoe, Peter Crouch (only just).

I'm not really keen on Crouch but he's got experience and he's scored a few so I guess he deserves his place. Darren Bent SHOULD have been given a chance, but Capello didn't let him and now it's really too late. The same is true of Zamora (who I'd be inclined to refuse a slot) and Agbonlahor (who I would like to give a slot to). Heskey has to start, that's how this team works.
codespyder
Unbanned

mmmmm

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 11:47 pm »

Canada's technically a dominion of Englandistan, so here's my WC23 for yous:

GK: Green, James, Hart

I'd love to see Hart start, but he simply lacks experience. Going to have to be Green to start.

Defenders: Johnson, Ferdinand, Terry, Ashley Cole (if he recovers), Baines, Lescott, Brown

I'm not a big fan of Brown, but then again, Micah Richards hasn't justified his place in the team. If Cole is still injured, I'd throw in Upson and play either Baines or Lescott on the left.

Midfield: Lennon, Lampard, Gerrard, Milner, Barry, Carrick, Joe Cole, Wright-Phillips, Downing

I don't think Walcott deserves to be in the squad this year. Ever since his hat trick against Croatia, his form has been so-so. He's still got time to force his way into the line-up in the future though (maybe as an out-and-out striker?).

Wright-Phillips' form has always been erratic; hopefully it'll return in SA. Finally, I hope Lennon is fit, but if he isn't, I'd maybe go with Ashley Young.

Forwards: Rooney, Rooney, Rooney, Rooney

If human cloning hasn't been perfected by June, however, I'll take Defoe, Bent and Agbonlahor instead. Capello, however, will go with Defoe, Crouch, and Heskey.

My 4-4-2, from right to left

Green

Brown, Terry, Ferdinand, Cole/Baines

Lennon/SWP, Barry, Lampard, Gerrard

Rooney Defoe

Possible 4-4-1-1 (?)

Green

Brown, Terry, Ferdinand, Cole/Baines

Lennon/SWP, Barry, Lampard, Milner

Gerrard

Rooney

When I was 16 I got so drunk that I shit myself in a sleeping bag.
Melancholic Goat
Mod

never owned anything

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 08:44 am »

This just in: Heskey can suck my nuts.

Tim
Potential Friend

You like Tim

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 12:14 pm »

SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer
Killer Blob Supporter

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 12:37 pm »

I'd like to make my formal prediction for the title the team that doesn't get paired with another English side in the quarterfinals. Failing that happening, Arsenal, because fuck United and Chelsea.
Tim
Potential Friend

You like Tim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 12:57 pm »

My only excuse is that I don't have photoshop
Melancholic Goat
Mod

never owned anything

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 01:49 pm »

A terrifying excuse.

Also, what it is about Steven Gerrard? He repeatedly gets away with the kind of diving that would brand any non-English player a petulant foreigner, he gets away with punching a guy for using a jukebox on the basis that he is famous, he gets away with flicking the Vs at the ref last week, and now elbowing Michael Brown in the head is no big deal. While Terry gets publicly pulled through the mud over an extended period for having an affair (and various more minor misdemeanours).

What the fuck, England? What is it about Scouse thugs that makes them so irresistible?

Melancholic Goat
Mod

never owned anything

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 03:37 pm »

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyZ7TfC5shU

What a hunk.

codespyder
Unbanned

mmmmm

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 05:20 pm »

"Everybody knows Mourinho doesn't lose at Stamford Bridge. My record is unbeatable." - Jose Mourinho

No kidding.

When I was 16 I got so drunk that I shit myself in a sleeping bag.
Melancholic Goat
Mod

never owned anything

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 10:31 am »

ahahahahahaha

Terry has the worst PR agent in history. "Alright, John, we need to deflect attention from your terrible hair and tendency to fuck women who aren't your wife. Have you considered driving over a dude's leg then just driving off?"

Mr Gale
Unbannable
Admin

I am Poirot

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 06:44 pm »

Not the best time to go on a break.
oball
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 06:55 pm »

What's the difference between John Terry and deputy security manager Steve Rowley?

John Terry got his leg over Vanessa Perroncel, while Steve Rowley got his leg under Terry's car, possibly sustaining a serious injury!  Ha ha!

BUTTS FOR THE BUTT GOD
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length