Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2017, 07:54 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Food
| | |-+  Let's all introduce ourselves as cooks
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Let's all introduce ourselves as cooks  (Read 11583 times)
Nicol
Time Vampire
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 07:14 am »

I pretty much never don't set off the smoke alarm when I am cooking in the kitchen.

i came up in this world so cold. that's why my heart's on froze
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer
Killer Blob Supporter

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 07:43 am »

Hey guys, first time thread poster, long time thread reader. I'm a decent enough chef, particularly with grilling. I just got a grilling book for Christmas and can't wait for the warm weather now, since most of the techniques aren't exactly Foreman-related. I also make a mean batch of Turkey tacos, though that admittedly takes a little less skill.

My biggest problem with cooking is also one of my biggest motivations for cooking. I am a terrible, terrible eater. So, I tend to not exert myself on anything too exotic sounding when I go out since if I'm spending 30 bucks on a meal it better be one I like, and I don't tend to enjoy eating at other people's houses, since no matter how much I know they understand I am a horrible eater, I still don't want to try what they made and then not want to eat it like a big rude jerk. This is particularly bad since my one friends' parents love me so every time I visit her they insist on asking me to stay for dinner. So, while I always said I wanted to learn to cook, what finally inspired me to actually start learning when I got out of college was the fact that I could try out new recipes and flavors, and if my stupid oafish tastebuds didn't enjoy it, there was nobody to be offended by it.
Mr Gale
Unbannable
Admin

I am Poirot

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 02:04 pm »

I think i'm also a circumstances limited eater. I have that same "I dont want to order something I might not want to eat" new experience limitation,

"the grilled prawn in sauce thing sounds interesting and might be spectacular.. but I know I like the lamb korma, i'm just going to get the lamb korma then I wont have an outside chance of spending the whole meal pushing prawns around my plate looking forlorn waiting for the chance to order dessert so I wont starve."

So yeah, I like the chances to try new things. Which is why its good to try something at home (you can realise it was a mistake and get a sandwich for little actual loss), or buffets/tapas are good to try new things.

Though it doesnt help that I have pretty weird taste anyway, I find fruit really plain and uninteresting and i'm totally sickened by most seafood and other random foods. My foody friends get all annoyed about this, I cant help that I dont find lemon in my chicken pleasant, im sure it is my fault, stop tutting!

Kathana
Potential Friend

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 05:31 pm »

I'm the opposite. I like to go out to try new things. That way, if I don't like it, I'm not stuck with a bunch of leftovers.
Honest Abe
Chairman, Pug Club Local 80085
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

join pug club! ask me how!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 06:41 pm »

i love cooking but i hate shopping for ingredients, thus i don't cook as much as i probably would if i had a magical pantry that produced ingredients when wished for.

i tend to stick with meals that are a meat and a couple sides. i usually do not like to dress up the meat beyond a little bit of salt and pepper before cooking because i think a meat's taste best speaks for itself. sides are usually a combination of sauteed veggies. while i love good sauces when i go out, i am not one for making them with a meal. usually if i want something i end up reducing some wine and butter and the meat grease. every once in a while i will look up a recipe to try my hand at. i hate following recipes because i'm pretty ocd about getting shit exactly right and that is why i usually stick to the above protocol.

also i make a damn good chili. this involves no recipe other than 1) get all the good looking peppers that you find at the store and an onion 2) a couple pounds of meat, usually half beef, half turkey 3) a few cans of beans, different kinds depending on mood 4) a few cans of diced tomatoes and rotelle and a can of tomato paste 5) salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, whatever sounds like it might help.
Nate
GUNS GUNS GUNS BIKES BIKES
Potential Friend

Yo mama.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 11:41 pm »

My job goes on hiatus for about 4 months out of the year, so I spent those 4 months doing a lot of my own cooking because I'm a cheap fucker.  So I make a lot of soup.  With beans and rice and pasta and more beans and maybe beef and veggies and some more beans. 
I have something like 18 different varieties of dry beans now.

I used to make bread a bunch, but lately I've been trying to minimize breads because they take up space in me that could be otherwise filled with meat.  So in about a month when I'm unemployed again, it'll be bean soup time.
Ryzhaya
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 03:15 pm »

I've decided to quit lurking and start posting here, and this thread seems like a good a place to start as any.

I've loved cooking ever since about age 7 when my mom started enlisting me to chop and peel vegetables for her. I still find chopping onions weirdly calming.

I make a kick-ass chicken cacciatore and a damn fine beef stew. In general, savory-food-wise, I like to cook big vats of hearty country fare that keeps getting better the longer it sits. I like braising, stewing, and broiling, and some favorite basic ingredients are onions, red pepper flakes, red wine, and soup bones.

I've also been getting more and more into baking lately. After many experiments and about 5 pounds, I think I've perfected my lemon bar recipe, and I feel confident that one day soon I will bake a pie crust that is half as good as my mother's.
Johnny Something
Potential Friend

bitches ain't shit

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, 03:05 pm »

Well, since this thread hasn't been posted in for about a month now, I figure I will.

Hi, I'm Johnny Something and food is awesome so I consider cooking an obligation. Creating breakfast is the best, and I tend to do better in that area, but I have been known to create some fine-ass things in the other domains.

But breakfast kicks any other meal's ass, hands-down.
Chronicles
Recovering Alcoholic

Friend of the Future

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2011, 03:17 pm »

Obviously this man has never had dinner

Johnny Something
Potential Friend

bitches ain't shit

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2011, 06:30 pm »

I've had dinner several times. Dinner's fine as hell, don't get me wrong.
HyperGlavin
bridge and tunnel dyke
Probably a postbot

I'm a cool guy irl

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2011, 09:14 pm »

What about breakfast for dinner?

Yes, come on, get a dog up you, you rapscallion.
Johnny Something
Potential Friend

bitches ain't shit

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2011, 10:08 pm »

Exactly. Breakfast > Dinner. You can't eat something like pizza for what the fuck am I even thinking
BanditThunder
Internet Person

ye got that right

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2011, 06:57 pm »

Hi people, it's sad people aren't saying hello via food so that's what I'll do.

I'm Bandit Thunder and I have been cooking (as in real cooking) since I was twelve.  My motto is "we live because we eat" or something, and I'm the best at making cheese/broccoli/red pepper/potato/french onion omelettes.  (Not any of those omelettes, I mean one omelette with all that in it.)  I also sometimes bake little goodies, but that's no fun because it makes me feel less masculine. 
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length