Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2017, 01:25 am

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Food
| | |-+  Let's all introduce ourselves as cooks
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Let's all introduce ourselves as cooks  (Read 12937 times)
Nicol
Time Vampire
Admin

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2010, 12:39 pm »

I know that we've got a lot of people who can cook on the forums, and it'd be cool if this place became like the writers and readers of cooking. So maybe in this thread you can say a few words to introduce yourself as cook.

I have been cooking for about nine days now, and I am noticing that I have the knack for making home-made pizzas. Not the microwave kind, but rather the kind where you cut up all of the stuff, throw it together and then put it under heat. I'd say I'm working with about 2% natural skill and 98% raw enthusiasm at the moment, but like they told me in Home Economics in school: "all it takes is practice!"

i came up in this world so cold. that's why my heart's on froze
RummyLu
The PUNisher
Probably a postbot

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 01:53 pm »

My name is RummyLu and I am a horrific cook who really quite enjoys cooking. I love the opportunity to inadvertently poison my friends and loved ones, although they probably don't appreciate it so much.

Despite this, I can make a mean gaeng keow wan kai and a pretty delicious pasta sauce or two, especially if it involves prawns. I am a slut for red chillies and beef that is not ground is my nemesis.

My partner is a chef and I think a little part of him dies every time he sees me head for the kitchen.

"Iíll retract the rape complaint from the wombat, because heís pulled out."
BSam
Vice Douchelord

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 02:10 pm »

My name is Sam and I can probably cook 3 things very well, everything else I need a very clear recipe or I can get lost.

I enjoy Indian curries, lasagne, and other stuff.
Kathana
Potential Friend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 03:48 pm »

I've been cooking all my life. My mom had me helping her in the kitchen for as long as I can remember. When I was 12 or 13, she had me making dinner for us on my own every night. It was mostly hamburger helper and things that were very easy to make, but I was doing it unsupervised. While I was in college, I decided to treat my ADHD with this diet I read about online that cut out all white flours and white sugars. I also cut way back on my meat consumption. I don't think it cured my ADHD, but I lost weight and I felt better about myself. Then I got married to a man who fetishesizes red meat and white rice and since I was a newlywed, I adjusted my cooking to suit his preferences. We ate lots of things that had cream of mushroom soup as an ingredient.

After a year or two of marriage, I did some reading up on psoriasis and high blood pressure, both of which are health issues my husband has. As it turns out, a diet high in fiber, vegetables and fruits and low in dairy and red meat is really good for both of those things. Also, cutting out preservatives seems to help Jimmy's skin.  So since I enjoy my husband want to keep him for awhile, I started cutting out the junk in our diets.  a couple years ago, I read some books by Michael Pollan, which really cemented my desire to eat as many "whole" foods as possible. We buy our eggs, fruits and vegetables from a farmers market now and I make things from scratch when ever practical.

I like to bake and I frequently make my own breads, cookies, cakes and more. I don't do delicate pastries or pie crusts, but it's only a matter of time before I decide I need to master those and start destroying the kitchen every afternoon rolling out pie dough or croissants.

Our diet right now runs towards lots of green leafy vegetables, beans, lentils, rice, sweet potatoes, winter squash, bacon and eggs.  This is because it's winter and that's what I can buy at the farmers market.  In the summer we ate ridiculous amounts of peaches, melon, tomato, green beans and other wonderful, summery foods. I like the creative challenge of trying to make the same foods every week be new and different.

My cooking influences run very strongly towards southern homestyle cooking (which everyone automatically assumes is terrible for you, but it doesn't have to be.) and Asian influenced dishes. My husband is Chinese, so he considers things like stir fries and fried rice to be absolutely essential to life. I blog about food here: http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

I love to cook and try new foods and I consider eating well an essential part of a full and satisfying life.
Parcae
Nevermind, Just Another Jerk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 06:32 pm »

I started cooking about a month ago, and can cook three things well:

1. German potato salad (Karlski posted a recipe here a while ago, and it is dangerously delicious)
2. Spaghetti alla carbonara
3. Risotto ai funghi

I have cooked many other things, mind you. Just not well.

I like the part where he fucked the cat.
Matt
Fart Wizard

Quoth the raven, `Hmmm.'

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 07:07 pm »

In my high school years I was generally terrible at cooking. Home economics class was basically an excuse to combine food products like a scientist until something exploded. One time I baked a black cake using black food dye and aranged jelly babies murdering each other on top.

It wasn't until I went to university and started spending more time with my Aunt and her girlfriend, who are mini gods of the kitchen, that something started to click. They fostered in me a love of making good gourmet style food which suited me just fine. I've always enjoyed gourmet products and meals and realising that I can actually make that stuff really got me into cooking.

Several years on and I cook most days of the week and have a knack for Japanese and French food. I must say I'm rubbish at baking however I love learning new skills, especially anything with flare. I can cook with a flaming wok and recently tried to learn spinning pizza dough (which failed). Like any real man should, I have a love of red meat and can cook a mean steak but I get that you need other things in your diet and enjoy searching out new ingredients and recipes.

I started living in Japan this year which has had good and bad effects on my cooking. Naturally it has done wonders for my Japanese recipes but Japanese supermarkets don't cater to foreign food as much as Australian ones so it is often either too hard to find ingredients or too expensive to buy them. However it has prompted me to make more things from scratch that I would normally buy premade such as doughs and taco shells/tortilas with mixed results.

My girlfriend is also good at cooking and if we're making pasta I let her take the wheel because, while I can make the stuff pretty well, she can make some really tastey stuff. Often to the dismay of everyone I cook for I am an absolute freak for chili and love my food to burn your mouth off. I've developed such a tolerance for chili however that I often put way too much in and end up murdering my guests while I sit there without a bead of sweat to show for it. There is always a bottle of the infamous Sudden Death Sauce in my pantry. Only half metaphorically speaking, chili is the spice of life.

elyseface
Nevermind, Just Another Jerk

Rude titties.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 02:02 am »

I have been cooking shitty, mostly instant things for myself since I was a teenager, but I really prefer baking. With cooking, I need a precise recipe to follow because otherwise I'm afraid I'll fuck something up and the result will be inedible. When I bake I'm more comfortable with the process and more willing to take chances by adding things, removing others, experimenting. I like baking cakes, cupcakes, etc., but I love baking pies. Little adjustments to the crust or added spices can make a world of difference and I think  that's awesome.

If I had more time and money to blow on ingredients I would probably experiment with baking more and try to create my own recipes, but for now I just tweak things I find online and keep learning about different techniques.

I envy the experience of growing up knowing how to cook. My mom and grandma are amazing cooks, but they didn't ask for help when I was young and I was a lazy punk, so I didn't learn a lot from them until I was almost in college. I need to get some of my grandma's recipes while I have the chance. Doesn't get much better than that comfort Mexican food for me.
FizzlePop
All yours
Fart Master

Why do we want to eat the people we love

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 09:21 am »

I've been cooking since i was but a wee lad, i've always been more of a dessert making guy than actual dinner, but i'm getting better at actual food instead of just cakes and cookies.
 I prefer asian stuff for the simplicity and the fact that it is fucking delicious, i'm not yet very good at it though.

I make pretty damn good brownies, my icecreams are pretty boss, and i have my way around mouses of various kinds. And for actual dinner my prawn diabolique is pretty good, as are my honey glazed ribs. I also make a pretty sweet mii soup.
Matt
Fart Wizard

Quoth the raven, `Hmmm.'

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 07:19 pm »

I prefer asian stuff for the simplicity ...

You just lumped the mega-vast variety of foods that come from Asia, the worlds largest and most populous continent, consisting of more than 50 countries and 4,000,000,000 people, into one catagory of "simple". Sure stir fry and noodles might be easy to make in their basic forms, but so are pasta, hamburgers, nachos and many other countries dishes. As a person who cooks a lot of Indian, Japanese, Thai, Chinese and Korean food I've found that the large majority to be anything but effortless.

Nicol
Time Vampire
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 12:20 am »

Hi, Matt!

i came up in this world so cold. that's why my heart's on froze
Karlski
ಠ_ಠ
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 12:24 am »

I'm very good at making a sort of local delicacy we have here in Perth, it's called pull your fucking head in son

<TDF> Karlski only has one rule
<TDF> And that rule is "get fucked"
Matt
Fart Wizard

Quoth the raven, `Hmmm.'

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 12:35 am »

I'm very good at making a sort of local delicacy we have here in Perth, it's called pull your fucking head in son

I'm sure its a hit with the ladies.

Karlski
ಠ_ಠ
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 12:49 am »

You have no idea.

<TDF> Karlski only has one rule
<TDF> And that rule is "get fucked"
Matt
Fart Wizard

Quoth the raven, `Hmmm.'

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 01:28 am »

None what-so-ever.

FizzlePop
All yours
Fart Master

Why do we want to eat the people we love

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 10:01 am »

ok then, i prefer the simple wok oriented asian stuff because it has a high easy to delicious factor.
RummyLu
The PUNisher
Probably a postbot

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 02:28 pm »

Racist.

(You will prise my wok from my cold deep fried hands.)

"Iíll retract the rape complaint from the wombat, because heís pulled out."
Schroeder
Fart Master

Where's the butter? Put butter on what I said!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 02:36 pm »

My name is Schroeder and I am a master of white trash cuisine. I also occasionally cook classical French dishes to keep people guessing.

Nicolē schroeder is to chess as gitro is to tribes
yowhound
Sucks at High Fiving

Fuck, yeah

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 08:31 am »

I love cooking

Learned cooking from Mom and a couple of aunts, starting when I was about 6, and Dad taught me slaughtering and butchery. Worked in a few restaurants as prep chef and sous chef - chinese restaurants and steakhouses mainly - in my teens, and made notes and learned recipes.

Cook pretty much any cuisine, and always looking for new dishes to try. We have an entire bookshelf devoted to cookbooks. The competition gets a bit intense for the kitchen at times, as the missus is a trained cordon bleu chef.

Wibblewobble
Pug Club President

May contain nuts

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 01:16 pm »

I'm pretty much self taught, as my mum had to make very basic fare due to dad having the most unadventurous palate (he won't even eat peas as they're too exotic for him).

I'm a decent cook of your regular English dishes, and pasta and rice-based meals, and also enjoy a little baking.

laktose
Unbanned

SLAM DRUNK

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 03:36 am »

I'm okay at making Caesar salads or boiling spaghetti, but other than that I pretty much just cause accidents in the kitchen. Like when I tried to make hamburgers. I ended up covered in beer and cigarette butts, broke a smoke detector and hurt my knee.

i love too laugh with, my pals on this web sight
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length