Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 02:22 am

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Games and Stuff With Wires
| | |-+  Let's Play King of Dragon Pass
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: Let's Play King of Dragon Pass  (Read 64321 times)
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2010, 07:34 pm »

I will start with an overview of what the hell this game is with something ripped straight from Wikipedia:
King of Dragon Pass is a 1999 computer game published by A Sharp. Set in the fictional world of Glorantha, it depicts the lives and fortunes of one of several barbarian clans, settling the untamed lands of Dragon Pass over the course of several decades. The clans bear some similarities, such as fyrds and lawspeakers, to the Iron Age Nordic peoples.

The most distinctive features of the game are its greatest oddities. KoDP contains no animation whatsoever, instead depicting people and events with lavish hand-drawn artwork. The game's genre is somewhat unclassifiable and anachronistic it has elements of strategy, construction and management simulation, and role-playing, even though it offers no proper alter ego.

Gameplay

The player controls the seven-member clan ring leading the clan, providing leadership to the clan in all aspects of its life from rituals to diplomacy. The ring can make two macro-level decisions per each of the five seasons in the Gloranthan year. Random events are drawn from a pool of hundreds and are often influenced by previous decisions. In battle, the player determines the goals and preparations, and possibly chooses the actions of his nobles at pivotal moments.

To succeed, a player must balance the various needs of survival and prospering, as well as manage the problems presented by the setting or the clan individuals - a lack of food might be solvable by clearing more farmland, but when the forest responds by sending a talking fox to urge leaving the trees alone, a wrong choice could bring the clan hunters to war with their environment. Likewise, should a member of the clan act in a selfish and foolish manner, action needs to be taken to stabilize and defuse the situation, if necessary.

To win the game, you must put yourself in the mindset of an Orlanthi. It might seem like a great idea to you to form a lasting peace with trolls, but our ancestors might forsake us if we do. The first thing we will need to decide is exactly what the traditions of our clan are.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 07:41 pm by fermun » Logged
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 07:34 pm »

Table of contents:
Chapter 1, Clan Creation part 1
Chapter 2, Clan Creation part 2
Chapter 3, Clan Creation part 3
Chapter 4, Clan Creation part 4
Chapter 5, Clan Creation part 5
Chapter 6, Clan Creation part 6
Chapter 7, Clan Creation part 7
Chapter 8, Clan Creation part 8
Chapter 9, Allocation of Magic
Chapter 10, Of Leaders and Slaves
Chapter 11, Dishonoring Our Ancestors
Chapter 12, Traders in our Midst
Chapter 13, Food and Spirits
Chapter 14, Sacrifice and Adventure(ers)
Chapter 15, Murdered by Duckman's Friends.
Chapter 16, Resolving a Feud
Chapter 17, Dowries and Ducks
Chapter 18, A Quick Exploration
Chapter 19, Wolfmen Among Us
Chapter 20, Canine Extravaganza!

The following is where I'm going to put all supplemental information. Think of it as an appendix, but at the beginning. None of it is essential, but there's a lot of flavor text in the game that you can find, and I thought I'd toss a bunch of it here. Some of it will eventually become useful, so when that happens, I'll let you know in the individual chapter. Other bits will never be useful, but might be interesting.

Clans in Dragon Pass

Dragon Pass, 1330

Gods and spirits we worship (and one who we can sacrifice to to placate!):

The icon to the right of the name is the symbol for that god or spirit, the icon to the left of the name, if present, is the presence of a shrine or temple and how large it is. I'll try to keep this up to date if I remember.

All About the Orlanthi Culture:
The Calendar

Chaos part 1  
part 2

Deities part 1  
part 2

Foreigners

Heortland

Law

World Map
The majority of this is outside the area we will ever see in the game.

Runes

History of the Orlanthi:
The major overview of the history so far.

Myths of the Orlanthi:
How Things Began

The Sword of Death

The Contests

The Storm Age

The Making of the Storm Tribe

Humakt the Champion

Issaries the Conciliator

Lhankor Mhy Finds the Truth

Orlanth and Aroka

Orlanth the Justice Bringer

Chalana Arroy Heals the Scars

The Great Darkness

Elmal Guards the Stead

Uralda's Blessing

Ernalda Feeds the Tribe
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 08:13 pm by fermun » Logged
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 07:36 pm »

Chapter 1, clan creation part 1

There once was a time when gods and people walked the earth together. Your clan traces its ancestry back to those times. Your clan history begins when you joined the forces of the storm god Orlanth. Back then, Orlanth was simply one of many upstart, rebellious gods bent upon conquest of the world. Orlanth's unique contributions at the time were personal honor and a close kinship to the other deities who seemed to be on the winning side.

After many tribulations, adventures, and discoveries Orlanth proved himself worthy of marrying Ernalda, the Earth Mother. The two of them created the Marriage Ring and established great harmony in the world through this sacred bonding. Your clan took part in the wedding ceremony. Most clans either whooped with Orlanths, or learned a secret from Ernalda. A few clans stood with Elmal, God of Horses and the Sun, as an honor guard.

How did you prepare for the great marriage?
1. Your men and women donned gleaming armor and stood guard with Elmal, to protect the celebrants from Orlanth's many enemies.
2. Your men whooped with Orlanth and drank the Eight Known Drinks, so that their heads would hurt during the ceremony.
3. Your women withdrew with Ernalda, and learned a List of Names, which they promised not to repeat to the men.

This will choose our primary deity and followers of our chosen deity will be our choice for clan leader. This will also change the stats of our nobility. Followers of Orlanth have higher leadership, followers of Elmal have higher combat, and followers of Ernalda have higher plants. Furthermore, it will also change our traditions a bit. If we choose Orlanth, our people will really like to party so we will have to have costly feasts every now and again to keep them happy.

Vote here, when I get enough votes in that I think I know how it will be going, I will move on to the next decision.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 09:34 pm by fermun » Logged
drunkpiano
Je m'appelle
Technocratic Libertarian

Hurry up, Tommy, before zee Germans get here.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 07:47 pm »

Get crunk with Orlanth.

Joseph Nistal
Shogun
Admin

lep

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 07:59 pm »

Orlanth is like the Andrew W K of gods. Partying in his name seems the best idea.

JMD
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

Creepin while you're sleepin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 08:03 pm »

Drink with Orlanth.

There are only 2 meanings for troll. 1) Fishing and 2) Sing carefree.
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 10:32 pm »

Chapter 2: Clan Creation part 2

Orlanth's struggle to remake the world was just beginning, and many other gods joined him in it. Orlanth undertook many wars of conquest. Other more peaceful deeds were just as important.

Your earliest Famous Event was:

1. The Battle of Extinguish Field, when Orlanth's forces defeated those of his worst enemy, Yelm the Bright Emperor.
2. The Hundred-Day Hunt, when Orlanth's brother Odayla tracked the Sky Bear.
3. Jested's Settlement, when Issaries the Talking God outwitted foreign deities in a difficult negotiation.
4. The Procession of the Animals, when Uralda the Cow Mother led the sacred herds into Orlanth's stead.
5. When Barntar, son of Orlanth and Ernalda, harnessed oxen to plow.
6. When Ernalda and her daughters went to the Hidden Place, and then came back with many secrets.
7. When Lhankor Mhy, the Knowing God, learned how to use the marking bone, which could mark signs of power upon anything.
8. When Pella, the pottery goddess, made the first pot to store grain in.
9. When Roitina, lady of dance, first performed the Clan-making Dance.

We have chosen Orlanth as our most important god. Our leader will be better at leading, but our people will have in insatiable thirst for the Eight Known Drinks and will want to feast often.

A little info about the choice we are making here. The nobles have seven skills, here they are in alphabetical order: Animals, Bargaining, Combat, Custom, Leadership, Magic, and Plants. There are nine options to choose from, seven of these choices will raise all of our nobles' ability in one of these skills. One of these choices will raise three of the skills for every noble, but not as much. One of them will boost our clan's economic output, but leave our nobles' skills alone.

It's up to you to pick which skill you want to boost. In order they:
1) Improve Combat
2) Improve Animal, Combat, and Plant a small amount each
3) Improve Bargaining
4) Improve Animal
5) Improve Plant
6) Improve Magic
7) Improve Custom
8) +5 Crafstmen, -5 Farmers at start
9) Improve Leadership

These all have long-term benefits. Combat will help us in every battle since the leaders will all have a higher combat stat. Bargaining will improve our trade, and make dealings with other clans more effective or cheaper for the same effect. Animal will make our cattle, sheep, horse, and pig herds increase faster. Plant will provide us with more food from our crops every year. Magic will increase the effect of our yearly magic allocation and help us every battle we spend clan magic on. Custom will make us better poets and help us understand the will of our ancestors better, thereby allowing us to gain more magic every year from doing what they want. Leadership will make our leaders better. The more craftsmen at the start will let us produce more goods every year, but it isn't all that useful since we can swap farmers into craftsmen at any time in the future assuming we have enough food to support the crafstmen.

Again, I'll wait until it looks like there is a consensus.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 11:21 pm by fermun » Logged
Fiction
I'M GONE STING
Posthulhu

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 10:44 pm »

Magic seems like a good plan. Number six.
Illiterati
sex fucker
Deathfat

ʕノᴥʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 10:56 pm »

I vote Klan Magicks.

8====D~~~~~~~~~~(( |
Joseph Nistal
Shogun
Admin

lep

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 10:58 pm »

You guys are forgetting about our insatiable thirst for beer. We need MORE BEER.

To make beer we need plants.

I vote 5.

JMD
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 11:00 pm »

I vote for plants

Matt
Fart Wizard

Quoth the raven, `Hmmm.'

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 11:18 pm »

If it is in fact plants that are the source of our beer in this game, I too vote for plants. Otherwise pour us a nice pint of MAGIC.

drunkpiano
Je m'appelle
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 11:24 pm »

I begrudgingly vote for plants.

fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 11:36 pm »

4 plants to 2 magic. I'd like to let the vote go on longer, but I'm calling it here since I want to bust out a couple more of these tonight so I can get past clan creation and to a part I can save the game at. For the record, I've never chosen Plant before, I tend to choose magic and use some of the clan magic to strengthen the crops every year if I want more food. We are treading new grounds here!

Chapter 3: Clan Creation part 3
When Barntar harnessed oxen to plow, he taught our people to do the same and improved our knowledge of planting crops.

Orlanth succeeded in remaking the world, and thus began the golden era called the Storm Age. Orlanth's son, Vingkot was a famous warlord during this time. Most of the people in the area were among his followers. Many people who would not have survived joined his tribes. He was a great organizer and helped the many scattered people form into new clans and tribes. Your clan was one of those aided by King Vingkot. After you proved yourself robust and capable of survival, Vingkot placed a remnant people under your protection. They were the Nalda Bin, or "Stick Farmers." You had a choice whether to make them into thralls (slaves) or adopt them as members of your clan.

How did you add these strangers?
1. As thralls
2. As adopted family

This is over a thousand years in the past, the descendants of the Nalda Bin have long since been absorbed into the clan. This question is whether we are a clan that will turn all foreigners it captures into slaves, or will we let any old pathetic outsider become a part of our tribe? Whichever we choose, if we later defy the will of our ancestors, our clan's magic will suffer. As such, this is going to have a long-term effect on our clan and who we can recruit to join our tribe.
drunkpiano
Je m'appelle
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 11:40 pm »

Man, it's a party. Let's adopt these dudes and have some drinks.

JMD
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 11:48 pm »

slaves slaves slaves s;aves

Captain Wacky
Sucks at High Fiving

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 12:39 am »

Adopted family. Seeing a bunch of wretched slaves hanging around really puts a downer on any party.

A photograph described as a dog that was burned saving a family from a house fire is actually a dog with a slice of ham on its face.
dustbuster
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 03:09 am »

Adopt.
Nicol
Time Vampire
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 03:11 am »

I also vote adopt.

i came up in this world so cold. that's why my heart's on froze
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 03:12 am »

Chapter 4: Clan Creation part 4

We accepted them as adopted family, welcoming them to our clan, but there were darker times as well.

The foes of the Vingkotlings were many, and our people fought hard against them.

Which one in particular did we fight?

1. Boztakang, the Troll Lord
2. Ukka Gra, King of the Basmoli Beastmen
3. Chinkis Mor, the Elf Warlord
4. Tada the Green, champion of the flat land called Prax
5. Faralinthor, Salty Lord of the Sea
6. Ves Venna, Son of Valind, Warlord of the Ice Tribe

This is our ancestral enemy. Our ancestors will want us to kill the ever living shit out of these guys, and these guys will want to return the same favor to us.

One of these guys is going to be weaker than us, or at least will be so long as we save magic each year to deal with them. One of these choices is possible to make an ally if we don't pick them. No matter who we pick, it will be possible to win.

So pick who you want to kill the most. Later on we will get 2 rituals. One is Earthblood which rewards us with a huge bonus to our harvest if people or monsters die on our land. The other is Summons of Evil which will cause a force of our ancestral enemy to attack us. Our ancestors will give us a big chunk of magic if we do this.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 04:24 am by fermun » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length