Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 28, 2014, 12:21 am

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Games and Stuff With Wires
| | |-+  Europa Universalis 3, who doesn't love grand strategy?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Europa Universalis 3, who doesn't love grand strategy?  (Read 7454 times)
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 09:51 pm »

The English civil war is treated just as if it were a very large rebellion. The game is unable to handle civil wars, there is no mechanism for it, so civil wars are instead just mass uprisings.
wophugus
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 10:57 pm »

Shucks.  I was hoping they would give it the full treatment and at some start date make the roundheads a separate state at war with england, like the colonials in the american revolution.  I was just too lazy to look for that date. 

In unrelated news, Vicky 2 is coming out soon!  August 13!

A thrifty bachelor uses every part of his offensiveness.
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2010, 12:41 am »

Remember, don't buy a Paradox game at release. The 2nd patch makes it mostly playable, the first expansion makes it worth buying if you're not REALLY into paradox games. I'm one of those battered wives that just keep going back only to get a punch in the face, but I think Hearts of Iron 3 convinced me to wait.
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 11:04 am »

Victoria 2's demo is available for download.

http://www.fileplanet.com/215199/210000/fileinfo/Victoria-2-Demo
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 03:34 pm »

The Paradox developers are split into 2 teams, the Game Team and the Expansion Team. Recently they held a poll to see what their forum users wanted the expansion team to work on next. The winner was "EU3: Rest of the World." I actually doubt they'll do another expansion for eu3, but that would be a pretty cool expansion, make it so the game is a bit less eurocentric. It's probably going to be an expansion for Victoria 2 though to fix whatever problems are in the game that everyone whines about.
wophugus
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2010, 09:01 am »

Personally, I hope they make an expansion for Vicky 2 and fix the fact that The Texas Revolution is ahistorically hard for Texas to win.  Because  The Texas Revolution is ahistorically hard for Texas to win. 

The actual war saw saw about 2k Texans vs. at most 6k Mexicans.  The Texans were outnumbered, but one lucky win on the battlefield against Mexico was both possible and, in the event of it happening, enough to bring the war to a close in Texas' favor, more or less.  That shouldn't be very controversial because, you know, it happened.

In Vicky 2 Texas has 6k troops and Mexico has what looks to be about 30k.  If you beat santa ana's stack of 8k you are, at best, down to about 4k troops with no real hopes of reinforcements and are facing four or five more stacks to beat all of which outnumber you and have vastly superior organisation.  You just can't' win the war militarily by yourself, ever.  You'll be annexed in days.

It looks like they made it possible to draw the US into the war as an ally about a quarter of the time or so (about a 50 percent chance of getting them to ally an about a fifty percent chance of them joining the war if they do ally), and maybe that will carry the day once I try that strategy, but it's stupid I have to go crying to the smelly ol' US.  Boo Rest of the World Expansion for EU3, hooray Republic of Texas expansion for vicky 2.

Honestly, though, Vicky was my favorite in the last generation of Paradox games.  If they skimp on a victoria 2 expansion I will be displeased.

fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2010, 07:45 pm »

There are problems with the game, yes. The game is still by far the best Paradox game at release. Did you play HOI3? EU:R? EU3? Vicky sans Ricky?

The Texas thing doesn't even need an expansion to fix it, just make Texas richer, boost their starting leader stats, and let them be able to support more troops.

The game still does need an expansion to fix it, but this seems like the first paradox game that is worth buying at release, despite the ridiculous stuff that johan's smug racist ass tosses into the game.
wophugus
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2010, 11:25 pm »

Oh I wasn't that serious about the Texas thing.  It's a minor problem, and you can get around it by just savescumming until the US accepts your alliance offer.  America didn't even bother to liberate the rest of the southwest after I did that, so the Texas Revolution actually reached a pretty historically accurate result.

That said, I've already run into one game-ending bug.  Around 1870 my pops stopped buying fruit.  No idea why.  They had plenty of money 'cause they'd go on to buy most of their everyday needs, fruit seemed cheap and plentiful if I'm reading the trade screen right, tariffs were low, and I was ranked 12th, so I shouldn't have been too far down on the priority of nations that get to buy stuff on the international market.  But no fruit.  With no one buying fruit not a single pop was fulfilling their life needs and an interesting little bid at Texas glory turned shitty.  I'm still holding out hope that this is the result of some intentional game mechanic I'm missing, but if it is I can't figure out what that mechanic would be. 

Until 1870, though, I was having a complete blast.  Ninjaing states away from the CSA, stealing territory from the Mexicans, turning Texas into a cultural mecca.  Awesome.  I'm not sure if it's less buggy than past releases, but they certainly did seem to get the game mechanics down pat.  This game is fuuuuuuuuuuuun.

fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2010, 10:13 am »

So Paradox announced a new expansion for EU3 this morning called Divine Wind which will deal with not-Europe. I'm excited about it, though it's surely going to end up with some weird compromises between Paradox's weird eurocentricism and the fact that this expansion is going to focus on countries outside of europe. Also, this is the second expansion after they released EU3: complete
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2010, 09:56 pm »

So I was talking on IRC about the possibility of a once a week multiplayer game of eu3. We'd play with the latest expansion, Heir to the Throne, and we would need at least 4 people to make it worthwhile. With 3 or fewer people, everyone tends to be noncombative because there's so much world to conquer and colonize that it becomes not worth it to step on someone else's toes. Once you have 4 people, the good areas start becoming crowded and it becomes more a 2-vs-2 game, and with 5 or more people, there becomes real incentive to curry favor with the weaker nations by helping them get areas that they want but you don't to ensure their support when you butt heads with the stronger nations. As such, it becomes a shifting web of alliances with the secondary powers or weaker great powers really determining the wars between the best of the great powers.

I'd really like to get a multiplayer game going, and hopefully see how many people are interested. We'll also need to discuss hosting, as the game runs best with the SLOWEST computer hosting. The reason behind that is that a lot is going on, and the slowest computer has a hard time keeping up with the speed of the faster computers, whereas if the slowest computer hosts, everyone can keep up with that speed without trouble.

Depending on how many people we have, will determine what countries we play, but we should all be European powers. There are a lot available without putting anyone in a position where they will be forced to step on someone else's toes right off or permanently prevent someone from unifying a country. The goal is eventual wars, but we want to avoid wars that will ruin the rest of the game for someone. Depending upon interest, we'll discuss the rules for how wars will be done once we see how many we have that can play at whatever timeslot we work out. Weekends would be the best I suspect, but if everyone who is interested could say the times they'd like to play, that'd be great.
Fiction
I'M GONE STING
Posthulhu

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2010, 02:34 pm »

How long on average will the games take?
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2010, 01:42 pm »

An average game takes 30-50 hours depending on the experience of the players. A typical multiplayer game is played once or twice a week for 2 to 5 hours.
Parcae
Nevermind, Just Another Jerk

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2010, 09:48 am »

I am writing a Let's Play for this game, using a popular mod called Magna Mundi. Please offer feedback because I crave the approbation of strangers.

I like the part where he fucked the cat.
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2010, 04:36 pm »

Playing a landlocked country? Too scared to deal with the constant pirate message spam?
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2010, 11:13 pm »

I just read it. That's pretty neat, I have avoided countries in the far east with MMU since the first time I tried and there were all these constantly spamming pirates that I couldn't stop from spawning because navies were too expensive and I couldn't destroy because once I had a navy they were too large.
Parcae

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2010, 12:07 pm »

Yeah, the piracy bug is annoying. On the other hand, the AI will destroy them for you if you get into a war.

fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2010, 02:32 pm »

Well keep it up, it's awesome, and I don't know if you saw but your AAR was recommended as one of the top 5 running in the something awful thread about paradox games.
Parcae

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2010, 04:05 pm »

Holy shit, really? Awesome.

Link? My Google-fu is weak.

Parcae

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2010, 04:21 pm »

Never mind. My talents are limitless when it comes to finding good things about myself.

Parcae

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2010, 08:34 pm »

I don't want to spam this thread with stuff about myself, but I'm totally going to spam this thread with stuff about myself.

With my Oirats AAR winding down, I'm looking for suggestions on another country for my next AAR. If you have an idea, post it here rather than on the Paradox forums, since I'm more likely to listen to a fellow Dragon Mountaineer than to a random internet person.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length