Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2017, 05:23 am

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Games and Stuff With Wires
| | |-+  Europa Universalis 3, who doesn't love grand strategy?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Europa Universalis 3, who doesn't love grand strategy?  (Read 15404 times)
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2010, 05:51 pm »

So EU3 is a game I play quite a bit and recently I have been trying to convince others to check it out. The basics of the game is you start at some point from just before the Renaissance and lead your country through the age of colonization, the reformation, and the enlightenment. The game can be extremely difficult for new players, and you are destined to run your country into the ground the first few times you play. Eventually though, you will get good enough to be able to take any country and lead them to greatness. The game also has multiplayer, and multiplayer games allow for many things that a computer doesn't. Playing multiplayer often results in every country playing for themselves trying to hinder the strongest power while the strongest power will give aid to a weaker power so that they don't lose to a coalition of every other player. It can be extremely fun, though the length of the game makes it take place a few hours a day once a week over a series of weeks.

So here's a review that does a pretty good job of describing what the game is all about.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27237/Opinion_Power_and_Disorder_in_Europa_Universalis_III.php

I know a couple people have the game, and if you ever want to try to arrange a multiplayer game, let me know. Also, I'm fairly good at the game, so I can answer any questions you have after playing it.
Otis P Jivefunk
Internet Person

Beards 1 - 0 Shaving

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 12:15 pm »

I've lost a lot of evenings playing this, and have, on a few occasions now, led the Byzantine Empire from the brink of destruction to worldwide glory, before usually getting fucked in the arse by the French.  I also like starting as Borneo, too - you can normally develop quite a powerbase in south east Asia if you can hold off Ming, before getting fucked in the arse by the French, or any other colonising European Power.

Never played it multiplayer, and don't have the time to right now, but should this situation change, then I'd be up for giving it a go.

OP Jivefunk c Richardson b Marshall 0
dustbuster
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 07:08 am »

Thanks fermun, you have completely destroyed what little productivity I had.

My first few attempts have been as Denmark.  The first time I drove it into financial ruin after twenty years, the second time I got caught up in a disastrous war.  This time I've built a highly profitable trading empire and am just now getting caught up in another disastrous war.
grondopolis
Internet Person

sock fulla cash

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 05:34 pm »

This is just about the best strategy game I've ever played, and without a doubt one of my top 5 games of all time. I've logged so many, many hours on that game that I feel like I've done almost everything there is to do and haven't touched it in months, but if someone wanted to get a multiplayer or even a Lets Play going I would be up for that so hard.

Hey Fermun, if you haven't already, try the mod Magna Mundi and take your time wasting to the next level.

we've got compasses, and they're neon
Fiction
I'M GONE STING
Posthulhu

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 05:41 pm »

This looks great. Is it as complicated as it looks?
grondopolis
Internet Person

sock fulla cash

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 05:54 pm »

To anyone thinking about buying, Amazon has EU3 Complete for $14, that includes the original and the first two expansions. The third expansion came out pretty recently and will cost you another $20.

Fiction, at first it can seem extremely complicated and even overwhelming, and there is definitely a steep learning curve, but its not so complex that it isn't fun. Master the game and before long you'll be searching for mods to make it more complex. Choose easy, big countries like England or France for your early games, they're powerful enough to give you room to make some mistakes without really screwing yourself over.

we've got compasses, and they're neon
Fiction
I'M GONE STING
Posthulhu

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 06:00 pm »

Well, all right. Maybe I'll pick it up after I tire of dawn of War II.
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 11:58 pm »

Hey Fermun, if you haven't already, try the mod Magna Mundi and take your time wasting to the next level.

Yeah, I play with a heavily-modified magni mundi sometimes. It depends what I want whether I use it or not.
This is just about the best strategy game I've ever played, and without a doubt one of my top 5 games of all time. I've logged so many, many hours on that game that I feel like I've done almost everything there is to do and haven't touched it in months, but if someone wanted to get a multiplayer or even a Lets Play going I would be up for that so hard.
A succession game is another option. I'd be down for that if someone wanted to do it.
Parcae
Nevermind, Just Another Jerk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 09:46 am »

If this thread is still alive, I would be all over any of those things like tits on a Martian whore. Would we be using Heir to the Throne?

Also, anybody who has not tried the Sengoku Jidai campaign for Magna Mundi needs to try the Sengoku Jidai campaign for Magna Mundi.

I like the part where he fucked the cat.
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 01:45 pm »

The thread is still alive, yes. We just haven't gotten motivated to try anything yet. Yes, Heir to the Throne with the latest beta patch I think would be best, though all Heir to the Throne save files are compatible whether using 4.0 or any of the three 4.1 beta patches.

As far as the Sengoku Jidai campaign for Magna Mundi, I urge anyone to hold off on it for now. Magna Mundi uses a lot of different modifiers, and the piracy is all handled through events, unfortunately the ability to remove the automatically spawning pirates was removed in one of the patches. Now you get pirates spawning all over the Asian sea zones before you can build up a fleet to prevent them from spawning. As soon as that particular thing is fixed, then it really does make for an excellent gaming experience to try to unite Japan, consolidate your holding over your provinces, and just as you are finished doing that, then Europeans show up.
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 10:15 pm »

I'm using some necromancy to bring this thread back to life. I will be starting a succession game. I have just played the first king's reign, and it will be up to someone else to get us through the next king. I decided to do a strong nation, the Ottoman Empire, as a couple people who expressed some interest in playing are not experts or haven't played before. All the digital distributors are running a sale on all Paradox games until the end of the month. I'll be starting a new thread for that tonight and putting up the first chapter of the Let's Play a bit later, but this thread can serve for any game-related questions that don't relate to the Let's Play.

The mod I am using for it is Misc Mods. You can find it here:
http://sites.google.com/site/miscmods/home
It requires the Heir to the Throne expansion (which requires the other 2 expansions) to play, as well as the latest beta patch (there is a link to it on the miscmods site)

The new thread and the save file will be up in a few hours.
Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 01:30 am »

so I'm starting to get the hang of this, sort of.
Technohawk
Spacesquatch
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 01:53 am »

For anyone who considers it neccessary to purchase games, EU3 Complete is on sale at steam for $15 and the Heir to the Throne expansion is on sale for $10.
Parcae

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 03:34 am »

You're better off getting EU3 Complete from Amazon for $7.15 and Heir to the Throne from Gamersgate for, again, $10, unless you have some deep emotional attachment to Steam.

Fiction
I'M GONE STING
Posthulhu

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 01:50 pm »

Whoops.
Parcae

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 02:59 pm »

Hey, that $7.85 is big money for impoverished college students like me. Thought I might point it out, especially since the Steam version is generally inferior to the CD/Gamersgate version (more DRM, slower patches, harder to get mods working, etc.)

Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 07:35 pm »

why does the world hate castille... i only ganked the arabs... And the sicilians?
Fiction
I'M GONE STING
Posthulhu

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 10:30 pm »

No, I meant I just bought it off of Steam when I could have saved money and headaches.
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 12:37 am »

So since there are a lot of new people playing the game, I thought I might upload the game's strategy guide.

http://rapidshare.com/files/410497023/HeirtotheThrone_strategyguide.pdf

This is only up to date as far as the unpatched expansion goes, 99% of it is still true, i haven't found anything that is out of date yet, but there might be something.

EDIT:
Misc Mods has a new version out, this won't change anything about our succession game, but you might want to grab the new version for your own playing.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 01:55 pm by fermun » Logged
wophugus
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 12:28 am »

So does anyone know a good start date for the english civil war?  Can you play both sides, or are the roundheads just normal old rebels?

A thrifty bachelor uses every part of his offensiveness.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length