Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 23, 2017, 07:05 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Games and Stuff With Wires
| | |-+  Diplomacy
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Diplomacy  (Read 12467 times)
dustbuster
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2010, 01:06 am »

Diplomacy is a classic game of warfare, negotiation, and betrayal.  In it, each player commands a European Great Power at the onset of the 20th century.  They are: England, France, Germany, Italy, Austria, Russia, and Turkey.

Those new at the game should check out this PWOT post (which is, in turn, copied from SA), as well as zimmer's great follow-up post.  I urge participants to also read the official manual, which goes into greater detail and provides many more examples.

Each turn, you will be given 3 days to submit your orders to me via private message.  During this period you are free to communicate with other players through whatever means you like.  You should try to set aside at least a few minutes every day for this.  If you aren't conducting any diplomacy then, well, you aren't really playing Diplomacy.

Once all orders are in or time has run out, I will post the results.  If I don't hear from you by the deadline, all your units will hold.

I don't care what your orders look like, as long as they are clear and precise.  "A Par-Bur" and "Army in Paris moves to Burgundy" are equally acceptable. 

Because it bears repeating: Make sure your orders are clear and precise.  Invalid orders will not be carried out, and I cannot correct them for you.  However, if you submit your orders early and I spot an obvious error, I will try to contact you for a correction.

The game should last between one and two months total.  Players are expected to be active throughout the entire game (or until they're eliminated, at least).  That said, sometimes shit happens.  So if you have to drop out of the game for any reason, please let me know so I can get someone to take your place.

I'll be using jDip to resolve all the orders.  You may find it useful for planning your moves.  Also, there are some handy strategy guides over at Diplomacy Archive.

If you have any questions, shoot me a PM or look for me in the #cracked IRC.
dustbuster
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 01:18 am »

The Great Powers of Europe

England - rawrsaurus_rex
France - Fiction
Germany - TheDarkFlame
Italy - Chronicles
Austria - fermun
Russia - Tim
Turkey - Captain Bravo

Spring 1901 click here for larger map

Orders for the Spring 190 turn are due by 11:00 PM EST on Friday, October 8.
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 10:36 am »

The Austrian Empire will crush you all, but you most of all rawrsaurus_rex. Don't believe for a minute that your distance or your larger navy can protect you. The morale is to the material as three is to one.

Also, I'd appreciate it if other people would post here so that I don't have to look you up in the member list to send you a PM
HyperGlavin
bridge and tunnel dyke
Probably a postbot

I'm a cool guy irl

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 10:46 am »

Sure thing, buddy.

Yes, come on, get a dog up you, you rapscallion.
dustbuster
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 10:55 am »

Here's the list with profile links:

England - rawrsaurus_rex
France - Fiction
Germany - TheDarkFlame
Italy - Chronicles
Austria - fermun
Russia - Tim
Turkey - Captain Bravo
rawrsaurus_rex
Buddy Friend Pal

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 11:23 am »

Aw shit, fermun.  Us Brits will be eating an Apfelstrudel in Vienna faster than you can say guten tag.

Which means, probably sometime in 1905.
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 11:27 am »

Shit, you know my one weakness. Now everyone knows I can't say guten tag.
Fiction
I'M GONE STING
Posthulhu

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 02:17 pm »

Friggin' France.
Captain Bravo
Captain Obvious

Mercenary Prostitute

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 04:51 pm »

Kickass. So, I'm a little fuzzy on the rules, when do we all stab everyone else in the back? 1908?
Fiction
I'M GONE STING
Posthulhu

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 04:36 pm »

Rex, check your PMs.
rawrsaurus_rex
Buddy Friend Pal

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 11:50 pm »

Aye, you see Britain just had her mid-term elections yesterday, in which the Prime Minister was apparently locked into heated discussions and intellectual thought all day.

Meaning no real correspondences were able to be made.  And stuff.
dustbuster
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 05:07 pm »

Orders are due in a few hours.
dustbuster
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 08:32 pm »

Spring 1901

German forces seize Holland and seem poised to take Belgium by the end of the year.  Kaiser DarkFlame, perhaps fearing Russian aggression, also sends an army into the province of Silesia.

The Royal Navy embarks into the North and Norwegian Seas.  With the German military committed elsewhere, King Rawrsaurus is free to invade both Norway and Denmark this year.  Sweden, however, seems destined to be absorbed into the Russian Empire.

Meanwhile, Tsar Tim's troops march into Austro-Hungarian territory!  Did Emperor Fermun authorize the Russian move into Galicia, or is it an indeed an invasion?  Whatever the case, the Russian army may have to withdraw to thwart a potential German attack on Warsaw.

The Austrian Empire invades Serbia and seizes control of the Adriatic Sea.  Is Fermun gearing up for an attack on Venice?  And what of the Russian army in Galicia?

Bulgaria falls to the Ottoman Empire.  Grand Vizier Bravo, apparently content to cede the Black Sea to Russia, parks the Turkish fleet near Constantinople.

King Chronicles of Italy sends his own fleet into the Tyrrhenian Sea and an army into Piedmont.  Will he continue to advance westward, or will the threat of Austrian aggression make him think twice?

With an army in Spain and a fleet in the Mid-Atlantic, France is in position to annex the Iberian peninsula outright.  While the Italian army near Marseilles is cause for concern, overall President Fiction must be pleased with the current state of affairs.

There were no conflicts this turn, so we can skip the retreat phase.  Here's the current map:

The deadline for Autumn 1901 is 11:00PM EST on Monday, October 11.
dustbuster
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 10:15 pm »

Autumn 1901

There were no surprises in Western Europe.  France completes its conquest of Iberia, Germany invades Belgium, and England and Russia divide Scandinavia between them.  

King Chronicles positions his armies to defend against Austria, but this maneuver proves unnecessary as the Austrian fleet withdraws to Albania.  But lest Fiction interpret this as a good-will gesture, Chronicles sends his fleet west rather than capture the supply center in Tunisia.

Meanwhile, Emperor Fermun attacks Bulgaria only to find that the Ottomans had already moved on to Greece.  Russia annexes Rumania and pulls out of Galicia, but now a German army in Bohemia threatens the Austrian capital.

Here's the situation at the end of 1901:

England: 5 centers - 3 units - 2 additional units
France: 5 centers - 3 units - 2 additional units
Germany: 5 centers - 3 units - 2 additional units
Italy: 3 centers - 3 units - no additional units
Austria: 4 centers - 3 units - 1 additional unit
Russia: 6 centers - 4 units - 2 additional unit
Turkey: 4 centers - 3 units - 1 additional unit

Your new units can each be placed in one of your home supply centers.  Let me know where you want them ASAP so we can move on to the next turn.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 10:25 pm by fermun » Logged
Fiction
I'M GONE STING
Posthulhu

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 02:38 pm »

That is most definitely not Galicia.
dustbuster
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 03:07 pm »

Alright, here's the current state of affairs:

Orders for Spring 1902 are due at 11:00PM EST on Friday, Oct 15.
dustbuster
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 10:39 pm »

I'll have the update up tomorrow morning.
dustbuster
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2010, 09:23 am »

Spring 1902

The first shots have been fired!  English and Russian fleets clash near Denmark and Italy rebuffs France's attempt to invade Italy.  German troops continue their advance into Austria.  Fermun seems to have been counting on Italian assistance in Tyrolia, but it never arrives.  Miscommunication or treachery?

Things look bleak for the Ottoman Empire.  The Turkish army in Greece manages to keep Austria out of Serbia, but is subsequently destroyed by an Austrian pincer attack.  Meanwhile, Russian troops cross the Black Sea and land in Ankara.  Is this the beginning of the end for Grand Vizier Bravo?

Notes: We skip the retreat phase yet again.  The Turkish army in Greece was removed because it had nowhere to retreat.  The fleet in Portugal holds because Fiction's order (F Por-Spa) was invalid.  Fiction failed to specify a coastline.

Orders for Autumn 1902 are due at 11:00PM on Monday, October 18.
Tim
Potential Friend

You like Tim

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2010, 09:24 am »

A message from Russia to our fellow peaceful nations:

Your friend Russia has suffered for too long from Turkish aggression. We can no longer tolerate their brinkmanship and war-mongering. We can no longer live under the fear of invasion, fear of annihilation! The Turkish menace is a existential threat to the peaceful Russian nation. We demand only the right to defend ourselves from our provocative aggressors. Every nation has the right to self-defence; we trust that you will not begrudge us our use of proportionate force in this, our time of need.

Also: England are dicks, why you got to be such dicks?
Captain Bravo
Captain Obvious

Mercenary Prostitute

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 01:52 pm »

A message from Turkey to all other nations:

Fuck you, Russia. Fuck you hard.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length