Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2017, 06:26 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Games and Stuff With Wires
| | |-+  Steam
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: Steam  (Read 24039 times)
88FingersLouie
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

Back to Abnormal

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2013, 06:33 pm »

My understanding from reading the article that it has to be shared on the same computer?

Your mother is so fat, she couldn't fit on a FAT32 file system. We solved the problem by upgrading to a more modern format, but sadly it's acronym does not lend itself to this joke.
Johnny Roastbeef
Novice LARPer

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2013, 06:41 pm »

It isn't absolutely clear, but they talk about 10 devices not 10 accounts on one device. Also, why would there be any concern about multiple trying to play at the same time if it's one computer? But yeah, we need to wait for more details.

Because freshness is expected of any hip-hop artist, I avoid using traditional techniques.
EFHRK
ABORTION FORESTFUCK
Hurker

I am a huddled mass

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2013, 06:49 pm »

Ready and willing to sell spots on my list to get access to my huge library of games I never play
Joseph Nistal
Shogun
Admin

lep

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2013, 07:49 pm »

Happy to share my 200+ games with others. JRB's comment about being smart and sharing with people in other time zones seems like a pretty good idea.

Remington Lonespear
#buttchat
Deathfat

Neil deGrasse Tyson for the motherepic shit win

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2013, 08:30 pm »

My understanding from reading the article that it has to be shared on the same computer?

Then how would this part make any sense?

Though simultaneous usage of an account's library is not allowed, the lender may always access and play his games at any time. If he decides to start playing when a friend is borrowing one of his games, the friend will be given a few minutes to either purchase the game or quit playing.

[18:30] <JonasSalk> lee was bring nerds together forever
Johnny Roastbeef
Novice LARPer

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2013, 08:32 pm »

I have several hundred as well as a result of the humble bundles. Once it hours beta and the details are clear we can maybe do a share partner listing or something based on games we own.

It would be nice to know if 10 is all you ever get, or if by deactivating one you can get a new person to fill that spot.

Because freshness is expected of any hip-hop artist, I avoid using traditional techniques.
HyperGlavin
bridge and tunnel dyke
Probably a postbot

I'm a cool guy irl

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2013, 01:11 am »

So Steam are basically doing the same thing Microsoft wanted to do with the xbone before angry nerd backlash caused them to scrap it. That is amazing.

Yes, come on, get a dog up you, you rapscallion.
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2013, 01:36 am »

Steam have never let you play games elsewhere easily, this is an improvement in the system which lets you set any friend to play your games on their machine right now. It's a step up in user rights that people were used to so it's gonna be loved. Steam Box first prototype just finished testing. This whole idea is probably to pave the way for Valve's tiny little PC with gamepad and 8 monitors support.
Remington Lonespear
#buttchat
Deathfat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2013, 02:04 am »

Also I don't think most people were really upset about the family sharing portion of Xbox One's DRM, it was the always on camera and the system that required a check in ever 24 hours and a handful of other features that people were upset about

HyperGlavin
bridge and tunnel dyke
Probably a postbot

I'm a cool guy irl

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2013, 02:44 am »

I can't see how Steam could ensure that no game is being played simultaneously by two different people without requiring they both be online to check in. That's what people were originally upset about, not realising that it was necessary. That amuses me.

Remington Lonespear
#buttchat
Deathfat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2013, 03:06 am »

I can see how you might think they're the same since the differences are subtle but what people were upset about is not quite what you're claiming they were upset about.

The 24-hour check-in for XBONE wasn't directly tied to the family sharing service. It was a separate check for system updates, game updates, etc., and the system would actually lock you out of playing any of your installed games after being offline for 24 hours, until you checked in again.

Having to be online if you wanted to share games with friends/play games that friends shared with you would likely have been a reality with or without the 24 hour check-in.

HyperGlavin
bridge and tunnel dyke
Probably a postbot

I'm a cool guy irl

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2013, 03:46 am »

Online check-ins that can disable your files aren't a new thing either. Spotify uses the same principle. I can see how the 24 hour check-in could have been used to circumvent people from installing the game on their hard drive, then giving the disc to a friend. Perhaps with some unique identifier to tell individual discs apart, although I have no idea if that's possible or not. Steam doesn't have that issue, per se, so they don't really need it but it's hardly a different issue.

Karlski
ಠ_ಠ
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2013, 05:11 am »

hahahahaa

x bone

<TDF> Karlski only has one rule
<TDF> And that rule is "get fucked"
Johnny Roastbeef
Novice LARPer

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2013, 05:54 am »

It's a step up in user rights that people were used to so it's gonna be loved. Steam Box first prototype just finished testing. This whole idea is probably to pave the way for Valve's tiny little PC with gamepad and 8 monitors support.

I use steam heavily because of the massive sale opportunities it offers.  Hard copies of games are virtually never on sale and certainly not for 50-75% off.  I don't like their user rights terms in general though so this particular opportunity is exciting for that reason.

Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2013, 11:17 am »

Hey please add me to the Dragon Mountain steam group please

Steam ID: zootsanchez

I've been playing a shitload of L4D2 recently, there are a couple dozen fan campaigns that have opened the game up quite a lot.
barco
Buddy Friend Pal

Life is a difficult process

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2013, 12:03 pm »

Oh shit there is a steam group? Add ultradicker

Anger at the Boner Funeral
Skeletonic
Skeletronic
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

FIGHT ME IRL

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2013, 08:59 pm »

I have been playing a lot of PC games lately and am building a new PC soon to play more actual good PC games!

So, please add me to the steam group!

Steam ID: krayzskeletor

if loving me is wrong, everybody is right
Johnny Roastbeef
Novice LARPer

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2014, 09:33 pm »

Guacamelee is $3.75 on steam.  It's a good Metroid-esque game with good fighting.

Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 26, 2014, 05:54 am »

Dark Souls moved from GFWL to Steamworks last week and now it triggers an attempted install of Blackberry Desktop Manager every time it goes to the Start screen. Anyone know what's happening? This is really weird and annoying
Johnny Roastbeef
Novice LARPer

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 26, 2014, 09:33 am »

It doesn't do anything weird on mine. Do you have DSFix running or something?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length