Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2017, 09:09 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Linkies
| | |-+  Depressing News and Shitass Crimes
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 44 Print
Author Topic: Depressing News and Shitass Crimes  (Read 165820 times)
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2010, 05:00 pm »

Depressing news, grotesque crimes, criminally negligent parents, etc. Not for people in power such as the news media or politicians destroying all hope.

Without further ado, here is today's link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/25/opinion/25sun1.html?_r=2&hp
A prisoner being released from Guantanamo was afraid he'd be tortured if transferred to his home country Algeria. He asked to either remain in Guantanamo or to let him seek asylum in Switzerland. Hours after the order to transfer him out of Guantanamo, before he could seek asylum, he was transferred. Shortly after his arrival, he disappeared.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 01:29 pm by fermun » Logged
Gudamor
ಠ_ಠ
Mod

ಠ_ಠ

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 11:04 pm »

That one at least had a happy ending.

its like they heard somebody over here was handing out asses and theyve known nothing but years of bitter ass famine
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 12:33 am »

The happy ending wasn't there when I posted it. DAMN YOU ALGERIA! I promise tomorrow there won't be a happy ending.
Sev
Internet Person

OH GOD. I can see into forever!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 12:34 am »

Yeah that one actually made me feel a bit fuzzy inside.the man's fears didn't come true and now he is free from Guantanamo everything is just dandy.

I am a god, who has made himself forget he is a god.
laktose
Unbanned

SLAM DRUNK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 02:09 am »

You ruined your own thread in the first post, fermun. Although I guess that's kind of depressing, so well done.

i love too laugh with, my pals on this web sight
The Iron Colonel
Nevermind, Just Another Jerk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 07:15 am »

Depressing? Hell, it's impressive. Good show!
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 06:59 pm »

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/072310dnmetstarved.a73c8c7.html

An 11 year old girl, and her 10 and 5 year old brothers were locked in a motel bathroom and systematically starved and beaten for months. The girl was also raped a number of times.
Luna Fortuna

Rock Stacker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 07:26 pm »

He was sentenced to 99 years and a $20,000 fine. I suppose that's a reasonable sentence, but it's times like this I wish there was a way to incorporate total brutality into a punishment without the human rights repercussions.

I want this guy and the mother to be forced to feel pain and regret for what they did and I don't expect they will unless we get lucky and someone shanks them.
Logical Penguin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 09:25 am »

For what it's worth, sex offenders don't usually fare too well in prison.

Oh my god, I actually live on the tip of Logical Penguin's penis.
HyperGlavin
bridge and tunnel dyke
Probably a postbot

I'm a cool guy irl

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 09:29 am »

Yeah, I've heard that sex offender's records are usually kept secret from the other inmates by the wardens to avoid having to deal with the inevitable mess that will become of them.

Yes, come on, get a dog up you, you rapscallion.
The Iron Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 11:23 am »

That's a damn shame.
The Iron Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 02:49 pm »

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128799983&f=1002&sc=ce&sc=ce

Life insurers ripping off the families of deceased veterans. This isn't quite as horrible as the last couple stories, but it's more of a depressing story. The fact that a group of people does something so terrible somehow makes it worse.
Johnny Roastbeef
Novice LARPer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 05:20 pm »

In some ways I find that kind of story more depressing, because rather than being perpetrated by a psychopath with some kind of mental disorder, it's being carried out by a business person who just wants money.  Fuck those guys.

Because freshness is expected of any hip-hop artist, I avoid using traditional techniques.
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 10:08 pm »

Israel has Bedouins who live in some parts and have lived there for who knows how long. They are Israeli citizens, and after WWI were given deeds to their lands, but Between 1948 and 1967, the new State of Israel imposed a military administration over Arabs of the region and designated  85% of the Negev "State Land." All Bedouin habitation on this newly-declared State Land was retroactively termed illegal and "unrecognized." Now that Negev lands the Bedouin had inhabited upwards of 500 years was designated State Land, the Bedouin were no longer able to fully engage in their sole means of self-subsistence – agriculture and grazing. The government then forcibly concentrated these Bedouin tribes into the Siyag triangle of Beersheba, Arad and Dimona. Today, at least 75,000 citizens live in 40 unrecognized villages.

A village was destroyed yesterday because these people, who are Israeli citizens, are living on state land. Of course they do have the original deeds issued in 1919, but those mean nothing anymore.
http://english.aljazeera.net//news/middleeast/2010/07/201072774211397266.html
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/07/27/israel.bedouins.demolitions/index.html#fbid=bktqSwiudIA
nchammer326
Hurker

I'm charming, I'm dashing, I'm rental-car bashing

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 12:07 pm »

Tim Phillips is a horrible human being.

In 1998, now disgraced lobbyist Jack Abramoff hired Phillips’ firm to pressure members of Congress to vote against legislation that would have made the U.S. commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands subject to federal wage and worker safety laws. A federal report “found that Chinese women were subject to forced abortions and that women and children were subject to forced prostitution in the local sex-tourism industry.” Nonetheless, Phillips sent out mailers claiming Chinese workers “are exposed to the teachings of Jesus Christ” while on the islands, and many “are converted to the Christian faith and return to China with Bibles in hand.” The mailers then encouraged the recipients to contact lawmakers and ask them to oppose the Marianas labor reform legislation.

Holy shit.

A stupid note is produced. It's the one assholes play to make their audience start punching themselves in the crotch repeatedly.
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 05:49 pm »

Conservative website politico has a story on Lindsey Graham, Republican senator from South Carolina wanting to introduce a constitutional amendment to only grant citizenship to natural born children of current citizens.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0710/40395.html

“I'm a practical guy, but when you go forward, I don't want 20 million more 20 years from now,” he said. “I want to be fair. I want to be humane. We need immigration policy, but it should be on our terms, not someone else's. I don't know how to fix it all. But I do know what makes people mad, that 12 million people came here, and there seems to be no system to deal with stopping 20 million 20 years from now.”
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 04:26 pm »

While this is a good thread, almost none of these stories make me want to shave my legs.
Captain Bravo
Captain Obvious

Mercenary Prostitute

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 10:04 pm »

Legs? Shit, I shaved my balls for nothing.
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2010, 11:51 pm »

A fat French woman had 8 kids that she killed at birth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10816187
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2010, 11:11 pm »

An article on racial disparities in the US prison-industrial complex.
http://www.pslweb.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=14289&news_iv_ctrl=1261

The US imprisons a higher percentage of its population than any other country in history, and does so in an extremely institutionally racist way. 1 in 31 American adults are in jail, in prison, or on parole. This percentage is significantly higher for black males. The number of prisoners and percentage of inmates per capita has been on an increase for the last 3 decades despite steady declines in number of crimes committed. Sentence lengths and recidivism rates are also on the rise.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 44 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length