Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2014, 07:18 am

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Science! and Sports
| | |-+  Any Programmers?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Any Programmers?  (Read 12540 times)
Lukeington
Mongolord

If at first you don't succeed, try power tools.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 05:14 pm »

Don't you mean

</body>

?

No no, you're thinking of HTML, whereas I meant something completely different and incredibly complicated.

DAMMIT
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 11:34 pm by Doctor Kill » Logged
spaceboy
Technocratic Libertarian

brain

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2010, 07:09 pm »

I've been a professional software engineer for 60 years.

Code:
if (you.getDoubt()) {
  println 'FUCK YOU';
} else {
  println 'FUCK YOU';
}

log.err('none of this matters');
exit(1);
JiminyJetson
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 06:48 am »

I program web-apps and REST web services based in Java and Grails/Groovy. For money.

Groovy is actually pretty kickass. It adds a few nice little features on top of Java, like dynamic typing, closures and stuff. So yeah, kickass....if you have never known a woman's touch.
spaceboy
Technocratic Libertarian

brain

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 09:37 am »

Wicked, I know Groovy in and out.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 09:06 am by spaceboy » Logged
JiminyJetson
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 10:32 am »

That's awesome I imagine you know a hell of a lot more than me, then. I've been doing this less than a year, after spending an awfully long time stagnating in a php dev job. I think Groovy's a pretty cool way to get back into proper OO dev, though.
spaceboy
Technocratic Libertarian

brain

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 10:39 am »

I totally agree that Groovy fucking rocks. I hope it eventually replaces a large amount of Java out there. It is so much more fun to program Groovy than Java.
holyMonkey
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 07:39 pm »

You might not know me from the other forum, but I am a programmer too. Mostly I use old school C.
holyMonkey
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 07:48 pm »

Sorry for the double post, but if anybody can direct me to a tutorial to Mobile Programming, I would appreciate it. I'm kinda interested in that.
Daisho
Potential Friend

Lose yourself

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 02:26 am »

I have actually been a freelance video game programmer for several smaller companies and a lab instructor at Full Sail University. I am a C++, .NET, and SQL programmer.

direct me to a tutorial to Mobile Programming

The two biggest API's out right now are the iPhone's API and Google's Android. The iPhone API is in Objective-C and compiles with the XCode IDE (comes with the SDK) and Android is in Java and works best with the Eclipse IDE.

Even if you never worked with SDKs before, both sites have very well detailed guides and there are dozens of manuals to get you started.

Asian face. White body. Redneck smile.
holyMonkey
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2010, 03:20 am »

Thank you very much for that. I'm going to check it out.
ElPolloDiablo
Internet Person

Like a Batman big on dick jokes

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2010, 01:37 pm »

Me and a friend have started a small app company for Android devices. It is a terrible company and we make terrible apps.
Illiterati
8==D
Mongolord

DICKBUS

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2010, 08:57 pm »

EPD, as an owner of an Android device, I would be very interested to know what your company is called and to see if I can download or purchase any of your apps.

The crystal around my neck contains an essence that gets recharged when I jack it with a bro who also has a crystal. It gives me confidence at work, home, social situations, etc. Nobody knows itís a JO crystal, but me and my bros.
Luna Fortuna

Rock Stacker

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 01:46 am »

I am still dumb and in school, but I am majoring in web development/database programming and learning all of the languages that entails.  I want to take it a lot further though, so I will use the advice in this thread.  I want to pile on the marketable skills.
spaceboy
Technocratic Libertarian

brain

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2010, 09:44 am »

I am still dumb and in school, but I am majoring in web development/database programming and learning all of the languages that entails.  I want to take it a lot further though, so I will use the advice in this thread.  I want to pile on the marketable skills.

What programming languages and databases are they teaching you in school?
Karlski
ಠ_ಠ
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2010, 10:04 am »

BASIC

<TDF> Karlski only has one rule
<TDF> And that rule is "get fucked"
JiminyJetson
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2010, 06:08 am »

If they aren't teaching you Smalltalk, then they aren't doing their jobs properly and you should tell them so.
spaceboy
Technocratic Libertarian

brain

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2010, 09:46 am »

If they aren't teaching you Smalltalk, then they aren't doing their jobs properly and you should tell them so.

That depends on what you want to get out of your education. There are not many jobs that require Smalltalk experience. It is a great academic language, and it was the beginning of object-oriented programming. But as far as practicality goes, you'd be better off learning C++ or Java or Python.

You don't have to have a CS degree to be a programmer, or even to call yourself a software engineer.
JiminyJetson
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2010, 12:33 pm »

I was actually joking. Smalltalk is the most baffling language i've ever come across in my life.
spaceboy
Technocratic Libertarian

brain

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2010, 01:27 pm »

I was actually joking. Smalltalk is the most baffling language i've ever come across in my life.

You heartless bastard. Have you looked into Scheme?
DoctorShenanigans

DEFINITELY Not Qualified To Practice Medicine

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2010, 05:59 pm »

Yo, in response to a possible job opportunity that may be opening up in the next few months, I'm going to be learning how to program for Valve's Source Engine.  Have any of you guys played around with it at all, and if so, d'you have any tips or links to helpful resources?

I am a mobile game designer, check out my NEW PORTFOLIO!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length