Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 25, 2018, 10:33 am

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Sanctum Sanctorum
| | |-+  You're just an atheist cause ya'll wanna sin all the time
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: You're just an atheist cause ya'll wanna sin all the time  (Read 27155 times)
spaceboy
just some guy
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2010, 11:29 am »

Watch this:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq7LXn4KSrM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq7LXn4KSrM</a>

Then watch this:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kag2yXDFoAU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kag2yXDFoAU</a>
spermus
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 11:50 am »

Those guys' lack of charisma must be what's holding atheism back. What's this thread about?

That was not the bear I was expecting in a gay blowjob.
Mile Star
Sucks at High Fiving

Like Jason Bourne, only retarded

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 01:37 pm »

That is retarded. He could mention any fruit (tomatoes have the perfect shape for throwing) and "prove" god made it that way. I'm just curios if he's aware of the other, more "sinful" way you can use a banana and maybe god made it that way.
spaceboy
just some guy
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 01:52 pm »

That is retarded. He could mention any fruit (tomatoes have the perfect shape for throwing) and "prove" god made it that way. I'm just curios if he's aware of the other, more "sinful" way you can use a banana and maybe god made it that way.

Did you even watch the 2nd video? If so, are you just repeating his points?
Mile Star
Sucks at High Fiving

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 01:54 pm »

Didn't watch the 2nd one. I feel sorry I didn't know.
Mile Star
Sucks at High Fiving

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 02:04 pm »

Watched the second one. That is actually a really good point and I admire that man's wisdom (or stupidity as some people will certainly say). And to think the length of that video stopped me from watching it.
spaceboy
just some guy
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 03:22 pm »

I guess this is where I want to talk about atheism.

I can't say I am an atheist right now at this moment, but if you plotted my tendencies toward atheism over the past 5 years, I think you would see a line with a decidedly increasing slope.

The thing is that I'm actually somewhat afraid to stop believing in God. There is a part of me that really wants to believe, but the more scientific I become, the less my brain can wrap around any idea of God.

It is a dilemma, to be sure.
Fiction
I'M GONE STING
Posthulhu

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 03:53 pm »

I'm in exactly the same boat. The same pussyish, indecisive boat. I don't know what it is. I suppose it's because I don't really feel like I'm hurting myself by believing in God. Which I'm pretty sure is entirely missing the point of religion in the first place.
Kybard
society's stared-at man
Mod

HOW ARE YOU

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 05:30 pm »

I was an atheist before I could justify it because I sort of had the opposite problem for a while -- I wanted to believe in God because it seemed nice but every time I tried it felt silly and false.

Since letting go of that struggle I've had a much nicer time accepting the world as I see it. That woman who called that show brought up a point about how Atheists "see nothing" when they look at trees or nature or whatever else, implying that a Godless world is a valueless one. I find the scientific explanation for the universe -- the mind-boggling unlikelihood of it all, the ruthless economy of natural selection, et al -- quite beautiful and valuable all by itself. As two wise men once said, in regards to Nature, there's magic everywhere in this bitch.

but it's not so great when you consider that it's coming from an alive lady
spermus
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 09:50 pm »

I have the even more opposite problem. I grew up atheist, so I must be used to the existential terror. I toyed with religion because it I thought 90% of people couldn't be wrong. One thing I eventually realized, which made me even more atheist than when I started, was that religion makes you afraid to believe the wrong thing. It makes you afraid to ask questions. That fear is worse than the sad godless truth it's protecting you from.

When I figured that out, it was like putting on They Live glasses. I noticed the same problem everywhere, not just with God existence. People ignoring facts because they don't want to deal with them. It doesn't help anything and it's not something grown-ups should be doing.

Daisho
Potential Friend

Lose yourself

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 10:00 pm »

I have been an atheist since my teens. However, I was also "raised by the Church," a couple of years from the Irish Catholic church, and a couple of years from the Church of God.

As far as a "Atheist's Nightmare," I really disliked the way it was presented. "This banana is incredibly handy to eat, thus this is proof of God's existence, and you would be foolish not to believe that. Simply present this argument to all atheists to make them feel foolish." This interview seems like a tactic for Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort to have an heir smugness more than it was an appeal to atheists and agnostics to attempt to convert them. Basically, it was like watching a Chick Tract come to life.

The second video was a bit classier. They didn't really insult the woman (more so invalidating her arguments with humor) despite her insulting them. They even went so far as to hang up on the next caller that did directly insult her.

I know the situation goes both ways. This is a case of the Christians being self-righteous and the atheists being more dignified, but there are plenty of situations where the roles is swapped. [READ: Richard Dawkins].

As far as my choice to be an atheist, I haven't given it much thought in years. I just don't see a need for a God. It is easy for me to sympathize with those that do, but that is just not my belief. I guess I would be called an "agnositc atheist," in that I don't believe a God exists, but I will not argue against the idea that one does exist. I am willing to accept that I really don't know.

Asian face. White body. Redneck smile.
spermus
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 10:13 pm »

Ray Comfort said that video is tongue-in-cheek and I believe him.

Fontelroy
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 11:43 pm »

I may be wrong but aren't the bananas like that due to selective breeding? Naturally aren't bananas much smaller and not as...user friendly?
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 12:07 am »

Yeah, he made a later video or press release or something saying that man has intelligence therefore it is our intelligence to make the banana a great shape for us that proves a god.
Daisho
Potential Friend

Lose yourself

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 12:35 am »

This is from The Way of the Master, Cameron and Comfort's official Youtube channel. I think this may be what you are talking about, or at least alludes to it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHaSZtf5I1k" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHaSZtf5I1k</a>

I have spent the last three hours watching them, and just wow. I wouldn't mind discussing the absurdity of some of the things in this channel, but I am not sure if that was spaceboy's original purpose, or if that would only serve to de-rail this thread.

Asian face. White body. Redneck smile.
spaceboy
just some guy
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 09:11 am »

If you have Netflix, I found the Colin McGinn and Steven Weinberg episodes of The Atheism Tapes rather convincing.

As an US citizen, I'm surprised how much more accepted atheism is outside my country. Here, it is definitely a stigma. You are looked down upon as an unenlightened fool by much of the (mostly Christian) deist community.
spaceboy
just some guy
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 09:34 am »

This is really interesting. Neil Tyson Degrasse is talking about some of the greatest minds in history invoking intelligent design when they cannot explain something about the universe.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV1r4fxaZsE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV1r4fxaZsE</a>

Part II
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YotBtibsuh0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YotBtibsuh0</a>

If you don't want to watch the whole 20 minutes:
(click to show/hide)

At least that was my take on it.
Raconteur
Nevermind, Just Another Jerk

ghetto diplomat

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 10:17 am »

As an US citizen, I'm surprised how much more accepted atheism is outside my country. Here, it is definitely a stigma. You are looked down upon as an unenlightened fool by much of the (mostly Christian) deist community.

I had the same surprise, only the other way round. I was brought up in an overwhelmingly atheist area; in my year at school I only knew of 2 or 3 practicing Christians out of 300 students. I'm sure that there were some more who believed in God, but there didn't seem to be many. Most people would gladly tick 'Church of England' under 'Religious Beliefs' on any forms we had to fill out, but very few were actually religious. It wasn't that people were anti-religion, it was just that atheism seemed to be the natural position, and believing anything else would be a deviation from that.  I don't think most people thought about it at all, and just saw no reason to believe in a God.

I wouldn't say that there was a stigma attached to being a Christian, but they definitely got a few weird looks if their beliefs were ever brought up in a conversation. That could be why a lot of people may have kept quiet about their beliefs: they would have probably got the same reaction that an atheist would have received in the USA. I couldn't believe it when I found out how strongly religious a lot of people were in the USA. It just seemed really weird to me.
spermus
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 11:16 am »

(click to show/hide)

At least that was my take on it.

Man, you can't summarize that talk. It was a cool talk.

I would go a million miles further than Neil and say Intelligent Design is always the issue when religion is about. Not only in science. Everyone wants to believe things have a purpose, everything is part of a plan. They want it so bad. I can see it in their eyes. It must be why they don't like my non sequitirs. It seems like such a universal characteristic of religion that it should probably go in the definition.

Hamburdracula
Potential Friend

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 11:23 am »

Yeah, he made a later video or press release or something saying that man has intelligence therefore it is our intelligence to make the banana a great shape for us that proves a god.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh1sotIUf3I" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh1sotIUf3I</a>
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length