Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 07:18 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  AV Club
| | |-+  Star Wars: The Trouble With Porgs
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Trouble With Porgs  (Read 710 times)
Kybard
society's stared-at man
Mod

HOW ARE YOU

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2017, 12:27 pm »

seriously though, when all is said and done this might end up being my favorite star war of the whole bunch

I don't much care about mechanical plot holes or whatever, what's great about this movie to me is how thematically coherent and explicitly political it is, and how so much of that politics is an interrogation or rejection of the shittier implications of the lucas/abrams conceptions of the franchise. it's a movie about acknowledging and learning from failure, found families vs. privileged bloodlines, trying to break free of the wheels of history and war, humbling oneself to one's own failings and to the very insignificance of the self, really, in the face of the greater good, the whole of creation, and every living thing

every single set up and payoff is about this -- constant subversion of the monomyth, the importance of survival over battle, of what heroism is and what heroic sacrifice looks like (plenty of examples but just contrast Holdo and Luke's sacrifices to Finn's attempted suicide run, or even just Finn's attempt to Rose's, in terms of who they're for and what purpose they serve; Finn wasn't going to do shit to that cannon but would get to cathartically explode with his need for vengeance, just trying to hurt the enemy, while Rose wants, as she says and as echoed by Holdo and Luke, to instead "save what she loves")

"who gives a shit about snoke/rey's parents" is both brilliant from a tears-of-the-fanboys sense but also thematically stripping away some of the shitty hegemonic fundamentals of star wars and making it a film franchise about and for everyone

but also goddamn the filmmaking is stunning throughout. the silent lightspeed ramming, the red salt, the twin sunsets in Luke's final scene, the "I want to see my parents" scene with Rey. in particular I'm still having my breath taken away just thinking about the beginning of the throne room battle, the camera slowly panning back to watch the excellent sword-dueling choreography as snoke's charred corpse lies in pieces behind a backdrop of brilliant red

but it's not so great when you consider that it's coming from an alive lady
Remington Lonespear
#buttchat
Deathfat

Neil deGrasse Tyson for the motherepic shit win

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2017, 03:59 am »

I 100% agree with all of this

[18:30] <JonasSalk> lee was bring nerds together forever
Wibblewobble
Pug Club President

May contain nuts

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2017, 06:56 pm »

Especially the bit about Rey fighting a porg.

ShakeyPapers
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2017, 01:06 pm »

I'm just here to also agree with Kybard. The lightspeed ramming may be the best thing I've ever seen in a theatre. Although I felt more like I was binge watching an excellent Star Wars miniseries than watching a movie but I still loved it.
Joseph Nistal
Shogun
Admin

lep

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2017, 03:55 am »

also why did Del Toro know about that to betray the rebellion, I missed anyone telling him the secret plan.

He would have overheard Poe telling Finn and Rose about the plan over the communicator BB-8 tossed them when they reached the door he needed the necklace to bypass.

I really enjoyed some of the smaller touches in the film, chucking a sea-beast into the background of the shot of Rey looking up from the ocean, Luke's transported ghost looking 'younger' as well as using the blue saber that was destroyed rather than his own green one and then the quick glimpse of those Jedi books from in the tree now on some shelf in the Falcon. I definitely rate this film as a bridge to whatever final conclusion there is.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length