Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 22, 2018, 07:17 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  What do any of you people even do for a living
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: What do any of you people even do for a living  (Read 1188 times)
HyperGlavin
bridge and tunnel dyke
Probably a postbot

I'm a cool guy irl

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2017, 10:23 pm »

I've just completed the first of four years of my apprenticeship towards an electrical trade. Over the last two years I've worked for a large electrical subcontractor, on a rebuild of the local university's entire engineering campus after the original was destroyed by earthquakes six years ago. Over that time, I've been involved with the demolition and construction of five very expensive two-story buildings full of interesting devices and machines. We're hoping to have the whole project wrapped up by the end of the year.

There's been a wealth of opportunity to learn new skills, and the jobs I'm now tasked with are beyond what I would've expected to be capable of just a year ago. When I first set foot on site as an inexperienced labourer, I couldn't tell you anything about the trade. A few months ago, I'd wired up a switchboard by myself. It's good for the ego.

It's hard work though. The days can often be ten hours of pulling heavy cables through a ditch while the foreman screams slurs at everyone. But we also get to cash in all our scrap copper and put the money on a massive bar tab every few months or so. So you know, ups and downs.

Yes, come on, get a dog up you, you rapscallion.
Citizen Snips
♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖ ♙♙♙♙♙♙♙♙ ♟♟♟♟♟♟♟♟ ♜♞♝♛♚♝♞♜
Probably a postbot

Der Zorn Gottes

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2017, 12:26 am »

I already know; I've seen your Snapchats.

HyperGlavin
bridge and tunnel dyke
Probably a postbot

I'm a cool guy irl

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2017, 04:19 am »

I also work at the Dachshund factory

spermus
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2017, 02:57 pm »

I buy books cheap, then rip out and sell individual pages for mega profit$$$

That was not the bear I was expecting in a gay blowjob.
Wibblewobble
Pug Club President

May contain nuts

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2017, 04:21 pm »

I work for an information analysis company. We suck in information on just about any business / resource / environment sector you can think of, and interpret and add value to it and pump it out to clients. We employ around 9000 people in offices around the world.

The business unit I work for specializes in financial info, specifically the actions companies take that affect their shareholders (dividends, take-overs, spin-offs etc., ) and we confirm and format that info in a way our clients can use to STP populate their own systems.

Basically, we do the checking so that our clients do not have to employ pricey people who know what the hell is going on, and so can outsource the downstream actions to centres in India or Poland or whatever.

It still seems weird to me that I started off as a typical poorly-paid clerk in various stockbrokers offices shuffling paper around all those years ago, and now I am a rare and treasured expert resource.

CatAstrophe
Gay Dolphin Sex
Hurker

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2017, 08:25 pm »

I work for a large architecture/engineering/construction management firm as a transportation planner. We consult for primarily public agencies to help them take transportation, infrastructure, and public facilities from the prelimary exploration of options (feasibility, alternatives development) to managing the construction of the dang thing.

I primarily work in the early stages (feasibility studies, alternatives analysis, environmental review) though I am currently working on a project where I am making sure the final design doesn't deviate from the design that was cleared during the environmental review process.

My division works exclusively on transit and multimodal projects. My day to day involves writing and reviewing reports, mapping things, looking at design plans, and arguing with engineers and environmental analysts (people like Captain Wacky) or, more frequently these days, overseeing people that are doing those things.

fermun   haha, if killing babies offends you, this may not be the show for you
Remington Lonespear
#buttchat
Deathfat

Neil deGrasse Tyson for the motherepic shit win

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2017, 02:27 pm »

I work for a small (60ish) information security consulting firm. We largely focus on helping companies secure credit card data and pass payment card industry- and information security-related assessments and audits but we handle all areas of info sec.

For a few years I did assessments myself before the 55 hour work weeks and 30-40% travel started to wear on me. I went part time in May of 2015 to pursue comedy as a career and after about a year of part time work I switched over to head up our QA department (which didn't exist before). So now I basically proofread all of the outgoing compliance documentation that we send to clients. In January I'll go back full time and will be working on training new and existing employees on how to properly do assessments and document the results so that the quality of those deliverables I'm currently reviewing goes up.

I also now work for the improv company that I started with 4 years ago. I handle most of our internal administration stuff that has to do with scheduling events on Facebook, responding to incoming messages and calls, scheduling classes, students, and student shows, team check-ins, etc. It pays next to nothing but it has put me in a leadership role within the company which means I'm becoming more involved in the other day-to-day running of the business, finding our own theater space, etc. So it's nothing major right now but I do see someday soon moving over to being more of an owner.

[18:30] <JonasSalk> lee was bring nerds together forever
MadPiper6
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2017, 10:12 pm »

I mow yards. We do other stuff like repair and theoretically build $10,000-$15,000 koi ponds with waterfalls, though the dude I work for is old and doesn't really bid new clients so I doubt I'll ever actually get to build one. Still I've learned some basic plumbing shit and in a lot of ways this job has improved the way I think about work, but the guy I work for can make the whole thing pretty demeaning and more importantly I'm v bored.

Meanwhile I am starting a business!  I worked for this one media company in my town until I didn't about five years ago, and it left me feeling pretty unwanted and out of place, and I've been doing work I don't identify with ever since. The truth is I've always wanted to MAKE MOVIES but I get pretty depressed and really distracted plus I started smoking a lot of weed, but evidence aside, down to my core I really want to MAKE MOVIES. So let me just leap forward - book trailers.
There are a lot of self-published authors out there looking for new ways to stand out, and I think I can help them. I've got a couple of clients and have done some networking with local authors' guilds and conventions. Ideally there should be a considerable variety of work and opportunities to experiment and learn new things.
I've got a lot to learn and maybe even a little worth recalling. I've got a camera and a decent editing rig, so I'm re-learning my old Adobe CS faves and learning Blender to step up my mograph game. Marketing is scary which is ironic considering that's what I'm offering, but there's a lot of doubt about presenting myself. If I can get past the imaginary hurdles and then the real ones, I could really get into this work and maybe open up some new pathways.
BSam
Vice Douchelord

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2017, 02:08 am »

i work in a supermarket of just under 100 people. i do the payroll and cash management and am also in charge of price ticketing for items.

i'm in charge of all that shit now, as opposed to working for someone else who was in charge of that shit. it's so much better, i do fuck all, i love it.
Johnny Roastbeef
Novice LARPer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2017, 09:18 am »

I'm a college professor in renewable energy engineering at a small-ish undergraduate university campus. I teach 6 classes a year on miscellaneous topics: solar power, engineering design, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics. I also do research on some very application oriented solar power topics, including an Android app I made to let you measure the times of day that a solar installation would be shaded, and what your lost energy would be due to shading. Commercial standalone products cost over $2000, so this is my small way of sticking it to the man and getting the knowledge into the hands of anybody with a phone.

This is basically the dream job I went to grad school for in the first place, so it's a pretty sweet deal. I get to focus on teaching, do research that I'm interested in without the pressures of making the university money with big time grants and supporting grad students, and (most importantly) hopefully make a difference to my students.

Because freshness is expected of any hip-hop artist, I avoid using traditional techniques.
oball
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2017, 05:02 pm »

I'm a lab tech at a university - basically I'm the goon who does all the prep for lab classes behind the scenes.  I enjoyed it when I started as it was a welcome change from the hellscape that is a research career, but we went through a restructure recently to increase "operational excellence", which means they fired pretty much everyone who had been there more than ten years and hired less people at lower pay so now I'm one of two original members of my team and I have to train a bunch of new people how to do more work with less people, which is going to suck.

On the bright side it's got me more involved with my union, and from what the Murdoch media keeps telling us faceless union thugs secretly run everything so that'll be a nice perk.

BUTTS FOR THE BUTT GOD
Navigator2001Plus
Richard "Dick" "The Dickman" Dongman, professional dong-man
Admin

That's what she said.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2017, 03:55 am »

You guys need to shorten your posts down to just a few words and a picture. Like so:

I'm a science nerd and I play around with stuff like this:

Actually, if you can do it with just pictures that's even better.

<Skeletonic> nav is very important to me
<SuperCalvin> So as I was saying, navigator is handsome
Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2017, 04:34 pm »

HyperGlavin
bridge and tunnel dyke
Probably a postbot

I'm a cool guy irl

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2017, 09:09 pm »

Nav writes for Cracked for a living

Bettytron
Fart Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2017, 03:41 pm »

I do visual effects with a small, six-person company which is a branch of a larger edit and sound facility (about 30 employees). 99% of the time, I'm working on commercials. Sometimes this involves compositing things from green screen shoots, or doing beauty retouching, removing unlicensed logos from billboards or clothes, or updating a product shot with new packaging if the company has changed their label design but wants to use the same commercial. Basically anything you could do in Photoshop, I do in a program called Flame, on moving footage.

Most of that work isn't terribly exciting, but the methods are meditative, require some problem solving, and that can be satisfying. And every once in awhile I get to work on an interesting [mildly NSFW] music video or an Oscar-winning film which is pretty cool.

I started this career eight years ago getting coffee for clients and managing a tape library. Nine months after that I became an assistant, and I've officially been a lead artist for two years now. All of my coworkers are awesome and my boss has a good sense of the importance of work-life balance (even if clients don't, sometimes) so it's a good gig.

RummyLu
The PUNisher
Probably a postbot

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2018, 12:36 pm »

I'm the bridge Laktose works under.

"Iíll retract the rape complaint from the wombat, because heís pulled out."
Citizen Snips
♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖ ♙♙♙♙♙♙♙♙ ♟♟♟♟♟♟♟♟ ♜♞♝♛♚♝♞♜
Probably a postbot

Der Zorn Gottes

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2018, 01:25 am »

I'm about to accept a full-time job offer so that's pretty cool

I'll give you the deets when it's final

:)

laktose
Unbanned

SLAM DRUNK

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2018, 03:54 pm »

If that doesn't work out we could use a second puller under the bridge, business is boomin

i love too laugh with, my pals on this web sight
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2018, 05:43 pm »

I work for a residential and small commercial solar installer. Right now I work doing project administration stuff, which is stuff like filing for incentives, writing contracts, getting approval from the utility, scheduling things, and customer service. I don't like a lot of it, especially that there's an expectation that you work at minimum 45 hours a week and if you call in sick, by how the whole thing is set up, there's no one that will cover for you, so you just have to work overtime the next week, and so I'm trying to switch positions.

I took night classes in the National Electric Code and was given a promotion to doing the system design, which will be making plansets for the build crew, doing permit drawings, etc.. Unfortunately the promotion is contingent on them hiring a replacement and my boss has not been putting in any real effort, which sucks, as it has been since October 10th that they've theoretically been looking. So far there has not even been a single in-person interview. My boss became obsessed with bitcoins and spent all of her time the last few months trading various crytpocurrencies at work. I finally told her that I don't care about my current job anymore and was going to be doing the absolute minimum amount of work possible to keep everything from falling apart, but no more than that. Since then she's had a few phone interviews, but she's going to Thailand for 2 weeks of vacation, so it's likely going to be early March that I actually get the promotion.

In the meantime, it really sucks that I'm absolutely slammed with scheduling, as we are short one designer (future-me), so we don't have all the permits that we should, so between our project managers and the other project administrator, we are doing about 20 hours additional work every week to find jobs that we have permits for or can pull a permit for quickly enough to do work the next week and then tell the people that should have been done the next week that it'll probably be an additional week or two before we get out there. It's absurd.
BSam
Vice Douchelord

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2018, 04:21 am »

I work for a residential and small commercial solar installer. Right now I work doing project administration stuff, which is stuff like filing for incentives, writing contracts, getting approval from the utility, scheduling things, and customer service. I don't like a lot of it, especially that there's an expectation that you work at minimum 45 hours a week and if you call in sick, by how the whole thing is set up, there's no one that will cover for you, so you just have to work overtime the next week, and so I'm trying to switch positions.

I took night classes in the National Electric Code and was given a promotion to doing the system design, which will be making plansets for the build crew, doing permit drawings, etc.. Unfortunately the promotion is contingent on them hiring a replacement and my boss has not been putting in any real effort, which sucks, as it has been since October 10th that they've theoretically been looking. So far there has not even been a single in-person interview. My boss became obsessed with bitcoins and spent all of her time the last few months trading various crytpocurrencies at work. I finally told her that I don't care about my current job anymore and was going to be doing the absolute minimum amount of work possible to keep everything from falling apart, but no more than that. Since then she's had a few phone interviews, but she's going to Thailand for 2 weeks of vacation, so it's likely going to be early March that I actually get the promotion.

In the meantime, it really sucks that I'm absolutely slammed with scheduling, as we are short one designer (future-me), so we don't have all the permits that we should, so between our project managers and the other project administrator, we are doing about 20 hours additional work every week to find jobs that we have permits for or can pull a permit for quickly enough to do work the next week and then tell the people that should have been done the next week that it'll probably be an additional week or two before we get out there. It's absurd.

i didn't read that, but i do hope your boss finally puts some fucking effort into that whole replacing you bit.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length