Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2017, 08:18 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Games and Stuff With Wires
| | |-+  Game of Bone: A Crusader Kings II Joint
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Game of Bone: A Crusader Kings II Joint  (Read 787 times)
Melancholic Goat
space goat coast to coast
Mod

never owned anything

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2017, 04:12 am »

Since it's been about a month since I last played CKII, it's high time I played CKII.

Jimbob suggested I do an LP and I'm very impressionable.

For those who don't know it, CKII is a "grand strategy" game from Paradox, who pretty much exclusively make grand strategy games which they then spend 5+ years releasing approximately $200 worth of expansions for. If you want to simulate 700 years of medieval politicking and warfighting, playing a succession of rulers and trying to steer your dynasty to glory / avoid excommunication, CKII's hard to beat. For more information google "crusader kings screenshot" or "crusader kings funny screenshot" if you want to see maps of Europe that would make a cartographer shit and an odd one where the Holy Roman Emperor fucks a horse.

Posting firstly just to see if anyone besides Jimbob is interested because heaven knows I'm not doing it just for him. Secondly, if people are interested I'd like to do some "audience participation" - CKII is a wide-open game and I've played it from enough angles that it'd be quite fun having you all weigh in on the affairs of state. Who to befriend, who to befoe, who to dob in to the Pope and who to offer my teenage daughter, the usual medieval things.

With that in mind, I'm happy to take nominations for who to start playing as, and at what level - English count? Polish duke? King of Scotland? The aforementioned horse-fucking Holy Roman Emperor? If it makes a difference, low-level gameplay when you're a count or duke tends to be about scheming, politicking and marginal gains; high-level gameplay as a king or emperor tends to be international and militaristic.

Full disclaimer that I'm terrible at finishing things like this, but CKII pretty much owns me so if I'm going to finish anything, it's a CKII LP.

Nothing to see here, just an Africa-controlled France with an Irish enclave to the south of Paris. Just some good old historical reenactment with our friend CKII.

24/7 never beggin on a rain check
Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 01:10 pm »

I am down for CK2 but I am bad at making time commitments.
jimbob
AKA Billy
Book Smart

Chelonoidis nigra

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 11:59 am »

Off topic but this is as good a place as any to recommend this amazing book: Colin McEvedy - Atlas of Medieval History Colin McEvedy - Atlas of Medieval History

dustbuster
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 05:37 pm »

I would also read of your adventures.
Melancholic Goat
Mod

never owned anything

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 08:10 am »

Yeah, I don't need anyone to commit to anything - I'm not planning on passing the save over or anything, just taking votes on big decisions e.g. where to try and expand.

I just last night finished / got bored of the playthrough I was on so let's do this thing.

We'll do the 1066 start because it's the core game start date and a pretty recognisable picture of medieval Europe as nature/God/Paradox intended.

So, we can start as the ruler of any of the realms on this map - or we can play as one of their vassals, i.e., a duke or count who controls a small amount of territory and reports directly to the ruler. Feudalism, baby. Starting as a king is usually (not always) pretty easy, so I plan on starting as a low-level character under a feudal lord and seeing if we can scrap our way to the top from there.

I'll take votes on starting realm/nation, if no strong preference I'll mash the random ruler button 'til I find a start that looks suitably hostile.

jimbob
AKA Billy
Book Smart

Chelonoidis nigra

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 04:25 pm »

how about a pomeranian count

Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 05:23 pm »

byzantine counts for the castrating
Melancholic Goat
Mod

never owned anything

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 05:31 am »

It's a fucking show dog, it's got fucking papers.

Castrating is good times. I read that earlier versions of the game had a major slowdown problem in the later years because every Greek-cultured character was constantly running a check on everyone in their realm to see whether they needed to get castrated. I've also never really fucked with the Byzantines, beyond fucking with them in the sense of wiping them out. Lots of chance for intrigue too.

A Pomeranian count on the other hand promises to be a brutal game full of tribulation and getting my ass beat from basically every direction, which is the purest form of playing CK2. They're both good choices. Unless I receive other suggestions I'll have a look around both regions tonight across a few different (11th century) start dates and see what looks like producing the wackiest shenanigans.

du_Man
Nevermind, Just Another Jerk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 01:06 pm »

As a major fan of anything Byzantium, I strongly support that decision, but a minor German count getting getting their ass repeatedly handed to them sounds damn entertaining as well.

What the hell is wrong with you people? Cashews are the worst nut.
du_Man has been banned
Melancholic Goat
Mod

never owned anything

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 03:13 am »

Ooh, can we have a tedious debate about whether to call it Byzantium or the ERE? It'll be just like the Paradox forums.

Right, I did start a short game as duke of Athens, but turns out that's actually a pretty potent starting position. Fallback option of minor Pomeranian count, engage.

Melancholic Goat
Mod

never owned anything

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 03:41 am »

Alright, this is us.

Siemomysl, or Siemosil, or Zemuzil - the first historically verifiable "ruler" of Pomerania, about whom little is known beyond the fact that he called in the Holy Roman Emperor (a Catholic) to broker a peace deal between himself (a pagan) and Casimir of Poland (a Catholic). For some reason the Emperor actually did this, leading historians to speculate that Siemomysl converted to Christianity (either before or during their meeting) without actually telling any of the people he governed. A Christian in the streets, a pagan in the sheets.

There's also some information on paganism in-game, for anyone who's curious. Women owning temple holdings? Political correctness gone mad, that is.

jimbob
AKA Billy
Book Smart

Chelonoidis nigra

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 10:21 pm »

george carlin ass face looking motherfucker

Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length