Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2017, 04:17 am

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  i'm going to be in london and paris in a month, what do I do
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: i'm going to be in london and paris in a month, what do I do  (Read 1028 times)
Kybard
society's stared-at man
Mod

HOW ARE YOU

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2017, 01:33 pm »

london from march 9 to 13, paris from 13 to 16

we have planned some specific tourist-y stuff for one of the london days and are otherwise still formulating plans. if anyone living in the area wants to meet up, cool, but even if not what do people do in these places? we will be stealing ideas from my sister and her boyfriend who were just recently visiting the same locations, but other suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated

but it's not so great when you consider that it's coming from an alive lady
Citizen Snips
♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖ ♙♙♙♙♙♙♙♙ ♟♟♟♟♟♟♟♟ ♜♞♝♛♚♝♞♜
Probably a postbot

Der Zorn Gottes

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 05:16 pm »

Museums!

I was in Paris for just two days last summer and my girlfriend and I were still able to get our fill at the Louvre, the Musée d'Orsay, and the Centre Pompidou. They're all really close to each other, too. The first two are across the Siene from each other, so doing both will let you walk around an incredibly scenic part of the city. And the six floor of the Pompidou gives you a gorgeous view of the city's landmarks, especially Notre Dame, which is just south of it. There's a really nice collection of restaurants just near it, too.

Even though we weren't able to check out the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, and the other major landmarks, we felt really satisfied with our experience.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 05:34 pm by Citizen Snips » Logged

CatAstrophe
Gay Dolphin Sex
Hurker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 02:18 am »

I liked the military history museum in Paris

fermun   haha, if killing babies offends you, this may not be the show for you
Navigator2001Plus
Mr Pedanto McLiteratureProfessor
Admin

That's what she said.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 03:13 am »

I will also be in England then! Flying out March 3rd and back on the 12th. Maybe we can meet up at some point.

One fun thing to do is ride the London Eye at night.

<Skeletonic> nav is very important to me
<SuperCalvin> So as I was saying, navigator is handsome
Ishliquor
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

Fives at High Sucking.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 10:04 am »

I can also recommend the Musée d'Orsay and would have tried one of the lesser known entrances to the Louvre had I known about them at the time.

As for London, have a look at what music is on. At this short notice, most of the bigger names will probably be sold out, but there's plenty of options to peruse over here.

Also, just generally keep a Big City mindset in terms of theft and safety. (Apologies if this is stating the bleedin' obvious but) Move with purpose, maintain a healthy level of vigilance especially in touristy areas etc.

A factoid I learned recently from the QI podcast is that if you are somewhere that has a sign warning of pickpockets operating in the area, there will likely be pickpockets watching for people who instinctively check that their valuables are still safe, thereby giving away that they have something worth stealing and where it is.

Oh, and go out for dim sum in London. I don't remember the places I went to, but here's some recommendations.

Seeking a vomitorium from the arena of the unwell.
jimbob
AKA Billy
Fart Robot

Chelonoidis nigra

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 05:55 pm »

Are you planning to go out? if so i recommend you also get down.

Timeout is useless. Ents24 has most concerts. There is good pop and classical and some jazz clubs but you have to pay to get in those. There are good stand up comedians, the most english is simon munnery. There are usually some good plays on in london, and there's always awful shitty trash musicals too if you're into that. There is a chain of cinemas called picturehouse that show the better films fairly cheaply if you like going to the pictures.

The museums in london are good and free. Natural history, imperial war, british, maritime. The national gallery is free, and good. St pauls cathedral is not free, but you can time it so you go for a service and look round afterwards. Most dim sum places in chinatown only serve dim sum at lunchtime, not evening. If you don't like craft beers, pick fullers brewery; if you do, pick pretty much anything else. Hip places to go out drinking: soho, the south bank, shawditch. The tower of london is fun but i don't know how much it costs since i haven't been for twenty five years. Go to brick lane market for street food.

The thames clippers is a water bus service with a bar, it is very good for tourists. there's a cable car over the thames from canning town to the isle of dogs, it goes high and it's cheap. if you go on that, and your plane comes in at night, between those two you can possibly skip the london eye and save money and queuing time. Climb the monument and imagine they hadn't been allowed to surround it with skyscrapers. every bus and tram and underground train and overground train and national rail train within london takes oyster card, just get one or use contactless bank card which costs the same. it is always cheaper than any other type of ticket.

ps. you're american right? If you see a black man in london you may NOT order him to carry your bag. That's what we have asians for.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 06:06 pm by jimbob » Logged

HyperGlavin
bridge and tunnel dyke
Probably a postbot

I'm a cool guy irl

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 04:48 pm »

Adding to the list of museums to see in London: the British Library. It has a small section of very old books, manuscripts, and artwork which is a hidden gem.

Yes, come on, get a dog up you, you rapscallion.
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 05:00 am »

Become a tramp, then a plongeur.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length