Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2017, 06:03 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Games and Stuff With Wires
| | |-+  Anybody up for some Paranoia?
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Anybody up for some Paranoia?  (Read 3512 times)
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer
Killer Blob Supporter

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2017, 01:29 pm »

So somebody (who I'm pretty sure was Kybard) first proposed the idea of doing Paranoia a few years ago but it never came off. I recently got interested again and was very interested in the idea of running a campaign. I'll post a little more detailed stuff (and hopefully a cut version of the rulebook which only has the info you lot would be privy to as players) in the next few days if people are interested, but I wanted to throw this out quickly to gauge interest. So, the overview:

What?: Paranoia, an RPG set in a future where the players are all clones in Alpha Complex, and underground bunker overseen by The Computer. The players are all generally inept, and also constantly looking to shift blame and casting sideways glances at everyone including/especially the fellow members of their team. For extra fun, some of you may turn out to have mutant powers or be members of secret societies, both of which are naturally treasonous affronts to The Computer. You will die. Often. To the extent every player gets six identical copies of their clone. It seems like a total riot, both from reading the rules and talking with people on Shut Up & Sit Down's discord channel.

Who?: That's what I'm trying to figure out. Ideally 4 to 6 of you who can be on Skype at the same time.

When?: TBD, but it seems like we could likely play an entire module in one or two Skype sessions. I would also want to do a quick Skype with each player individually beforehand so I can go over character creation, since knowing who everyone is will help me prepare to run things smoothly on game day.
Katastrophikus

Tequila fiend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 12:36 am »

I'd love to but time slots will prevent me.

*lamentations*
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 08:15 pm »

Who?: That's what I'm trying to figure out. Ideally 4 to 6 of you who can be on Skype at the same time.
Why Skype? We are using Discord for chat these days, and it has voice built in.
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer
Killer Blob Supporter

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 10:17 pm »

Yeah, we'd use Discord. I was rushing to get that out before heading to my brothers for the Super Bowl and my brain auto-piloted to Skype. I've used Discord for Secret Hitler before and found it to be really good so I'm definitely down to do it on there, instead.
Joey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 10:40 am »

i am up for some paranoia, paranoia is fun

-joey
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 12:30 pm »

I am willing to participate if I have the available timeslots available
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer
Killer Blob Supporter

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 06:13 pm »

So, Joey was nice enough to link me to the playtest version of the new edition and it's lovely. I was basically hemming and hawing on do I want to run a Paranoia campaign or a FUDGE campaign, and then I read those rules and saw they made the new edition by just blending the two together so it's my favorite thing ever.

Anywho, here is a link to the player's guide, which contains all the information you lot would be cleared to know. It's more pages than the player section of the 5th edition I had, however it's also smaller, less-loaded pages so I think it's also less of a read. I'd guesstimate somewhere between 45-90 minutes or so for a read through, depending on how fast you can go while retaining the important bits. Figure I might as well link it now for anyone interested to get to know it, and for anyone unsure to see if it seems up their alley or not.
BSam
Wikipedia Nazi Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 02:34 pm »

in hopefully
TheDarkFlame
Uselessness Personified
Fart Wizard

Go on. Touch it. You know you want to.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 09:13 am »

This looks like a lot of fun provided I can get the right days off work. Once we've figured out a day/time I'll try and sort out my time off.

Rolling all the ones, forever.
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer
Killer Blob Supporter

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 05:19 pm »

Okay so there's enough interest to start thinking about times that work, if everyone wants to post their availability.

I'm on EST, and work ~9AM to 9PM Mon-Thur, 4PM to 9PM Friday and 9AM to 1PM Saturdays, so I'd probably looking to do a Friday night my time, Saturday evening/night, or Sunday morning/evening. Midweek I could make work in a pinch (ideally Tuesday or Thursday since I can be in later the next days) though I imagine a weekend will be best for everyone.

Also, with discord can you be in multiple voice channels at once? Like, say I wanted to be able to have single-player-only talks, have one room for everyone and a solo for everyone that's just us two? Then I keep the solo rooms muted on my end, and can unmute one and mute main to talk to, say, just Joey, and also players could talk to me secretly by just muting the main room and unmuting the room that's just the two of us. Is that doable?
BSam
Wikipedia Nazi Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 11:57 am »

Also, with discord can you be in multiple voice channels at once? Like, say I wanted to be able to have single-player-only talks, have one room for everyone and a solo for everyone that's just us two? Then I keep the solo rooms muted on my end, and can unmute one and mute main to talk to, say, just Joey, and also players could talk to me secretly by just muting the main room and unmuting the room that's just the two of us. Is that doable?

doesn't look like it
Joey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 11:44 pm »

you can typechat privately with friends though

-joey
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer
Killer Blob Supporter

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 02:33 pm »

Alright, so I'm moving next weekend, which means I'm out for this upcoming weekend and that one, but my schedule will open up again a bit in March as my commutes will go from an hour to 10 minutes. That said, I'd like to get the ball rolling since there seems to be a decent crop of people already interested (and hopefully we can grab one or two more as we hammer out some specifics.)

For playing windows, I'm thinking the weekend, and we can set specific few-hour windows in advance based around when everyone can make it.

To get started, since it's my first time GMing, I think it would help me to have a little time between character creation (Page 15 in the Player's Guide) and getting going to prepare so was thinking of doing it (or starting it, if we don't get all the way through) here on the forum since we do have a little time to kill meaning the slower pace of doing it by post won't doom us. Hopefully this can also possibly nudge somebody on the fence into playing.

We'll leave things open for a bit before getting to skill selection to let anyone interested get in, so all players need right now is to Define, by posting your character's:
 - Name (comes before clearance letter in your full name)
 - Sector (three letters, comes after clearance letter in your full name)
 - Personality (Three traits that describe your character)
BSam
Wikipedia Nazi Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 11:33 am »

BSam
BAC
M
Forgiving
Refined
Shy

SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer
Killer Blob Supporter

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 01:00 pm »

Added to the Google Sheet.
Jerbwyn
Dr. Internet
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 10:19 pm »

Lily
ETA
F
Helpful
Ambitious
Manipulative

[15:30] <Ryzhaya> this guy seems alright
BSam
Wikipedia Nazi Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 04:13 am »

yeah! anyone the fuck else?
Skeletonic
Skeletronic
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

FIGHT ME IRL

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 09:24 pm »

i want to do a try of this.

Eamon
JIT
M
Naive
Trusting
Dutiful

if loving me is wrong, everybody is right
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer
Killer Blob Supporter

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 10:40 pm »

Nice! I'd ideally like a team of five or six but would be down to start the character building if we got one more with the hope seeing how dumb and fun it is that will push some maybes into the "fuck it, why not?" camp. (Anyone joining late will be subject to the other players getting to assign all corresponding +/- ratings that have already happened until they are caught up.)

So, who is gonna round us out?
dustbuster
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 12:40 pm »

I could perhaps do this but I wouldn't be free on Saturdays at all.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length