Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 24, 2017, 07:02 am

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  AV Club
| | |-+  rogue 1 spoilers
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: rogue 1 spoilers  (Read 1751 times)
spermos thermos
Internet Person

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2016, 01:02 am »

Best X-Men spinoff yet.

Leia looks pretty stupid with her "diplomatic mission" line in A New Hope, now that we know that five minutes prior, she and the empire were staring at each other through their windows as she fled from combat. Why do they need to abuse the plot like that?

Fuck science and fuck Jesus.
Navigator2001Plus
Mr Pedanto McLiteratureProfessor
Admin

That's what she said.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 02:25 am »

We don't know that only five minutes elapsed. It could have taken the Empire a day or two to track them down.

<Skeletonic> nav is very important to me
<SuperCalvin> So as I was saying, navigator is handsome
spermos thermos
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 02:52 am »

She must have hoped they forgot.

Navigator2001Plus
Admin

That's what she said.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 03:00 am »

Eh, what else was she going to do? Admit from the jump that they're rebels? I'd at least TRY to bluff my way out of it.

spermos thermos
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 02:39 pm »

It's logically not a crime. That's why I danced around the term "plot hole". It just looks stupid, like a redneck on a cop show saying "I didn't do it!" right after a camera caught them doing it. A smart person IRL might even use the redneck strategy, just because it's their best hail mary available. But people drop dookies IRL too. You don't show that in a movie. It was an awkward way of trying to link the two movies, I think.

Skeletonic
Skeletronic
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

FIGHT ME IRL

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 05:54 pm »

i saw this today, and while a nostalgia part of me enjoyed Vader clowning on some rebel troopers, the whole bit w/ the disc changing hand at the last second before getting to fake Leia felt totally unnecessary

like, we just watched a whole rebel force literally sacrifice themselves dying to get this info off planet and we know where that info ends up, Bail Organa already hinted it was going to Leia and we know it gets to Leia, it felt really forced

overall i liked the movie but there were some weird beats that i didn't get like, forest whitaker dying for reasons??? and then because star wars is like poetry, it rhymes, we watch some more heroes die the same way later.

CGI Tarkin was kinda distracting

Vader's costume looked...cheap? weird? idk how to describe it but it seemed off somehow, it looked like a costume Vader

not sure how i feel about calamari andrew or w/e his name was, his whole redemption arc feels really unearned as he just all of a sudden decides to do the opposite of everything he's been doing because that's what makes the plot happen. or because jango was mad at him? idk, some of the middle bits as far as character motivates feel a bit muddled.

it  was weird watching everyone die, even knowing they were going to. by like the 3rd death it stopped having much of an emotional impact, so when jane hairdo and carambe anglo died holding hands on the beach i just kinda shrugged.

i still can't shake the feeling that it's a story that didn't need to be told, and i'm not sure the story we got justifies it. i would've liked the characters to be fleshed out a little bit more, or for the empire to be less incompetent. it kinda felt like the Rebels couldn't lose, there was no point where I had any legitimate dread. they start dying and yeah okay that's bad, but we KNOW the mission is a success.

all-in-all a solid war movie for what it is, it's tracking around 80% on RT and that's about where i'd put it, maybe a little less (75% range). it's an okay watch but you're not missing anything if you never check it out.

if loving me is wrong, everybody is right
spermos thermos
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 02:29 pm »

I saw the Half in the Bag.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc2kFk5M9x4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc2kFk5M9x4</a>

I thought it was funny because they hated this one while they loved the Force Awakens, and I thought they were both good. It seems to be because characters are more important to them, while I'm satisfied with adequate plots and good actions.

I seemed to dodge a lot of bullets that hit other viewers. The CGI people only made me suspicious, but not hostile. Maybe because I was at the back of the theater. Vader's costume was dirty for continuity with A New Hope, which I concluded fast and easily. And I thought his slicing and dicing was cool enough to make up for its stupidity. Most of my thoughts are about that:
  • Sure, we already know the rebels are throwing themselves into a meat grinder. But that's the theme of the film, so I was okay with it getting repeated.
  • Vader being an invincible monster was a ghost of a beat that I've (and most fans, I think) been waiting to see struck since forever. A terrible itch vs. a so-so scratch makes a win.
  • It was fast, so I think it outran all my "Wait this is stupid"s.
  • And then Leia showed up, and I suspect she jumped in front of all the remaining "this is stupid" bullets, saving Vader's life.
I went along with Calamari Accento's change of heart because it seemed for a while that he was about ready to believe Protagonist's story about her father being good. And seeing him on the landing pad was like the last push toward that. I don't know if the writers intended that, or got lucky with me.

Navigator2001Plus
Admin

That's what she said.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 01:08 am »

overall i liked the movie but there were some weird beats that i didn't get like, forest whitaker dying for reasons???

It made sense to me. He's got mechanical shit all over him barely keeping him alive (and not even that high quality shit that Vader's got) and the last fight he had in him was on Jedha. With everything being blown to shit, I understand his "Eh, fuck it" moment.

Citizen Snips
♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖ ♙♙♙♙♙♙♙♙ ♟♟♟♟♟♟♟♟ ♜♞♝♛♚♝♞♜
Probably a postbot

Der Zorn Gottes

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 01:32 pm »

My favorite part of the movie is when Forest Whitaker took a hit of his gas mask and I yelled LET'S FUUUUUUUUCK

Kybard
society's stared-at man
Mod

HOW ARE YOU

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 08:47 pm »

man who gives a shit about the minutiae of how the plot beats dovetail directly into ANH. explain it away however you want in the margins of the boring in-between parts we don't see. who cares

by the end of the movie basically every good guy has exactly the same motivation, which is spot on for the theme of the movie (self-sacrifice for the greater good) so I think it's sort of silly to ding it for poor characterization. Jyn's arc is that she goes from  wounded cynic and apolitical to true believer - from selfish to selfless. she's basically the only character that gets any specific backstory beats because everyone else has already made that journey to some degree or another. and that's not an arc that requires a ton of beats anyway. otherwise this is a movie of deliberate archetypes with little dabs of neat shading, all of whom are meant to work in landscape better than close up. it's about a rebellion (plural), not a hero (singular)

I thought the whole final sequence works really goddamn well for basically that reason (oh and also because it's really well paced and directed)

vader looked fine, that last scene of his was fucking perfect

tarkin was weird - I feel like they made his eyes move a little too much? - but I'm not sure how much I would have noticed/cared if I hadn't known going in that he was CGI. my wife did not notice at all (she is not terribly observant about these sorts of things, but still).

it was a Good Movie and i liked it

but it's not so great when you consider that it's coming from an alive lady
Skeletonic
Skeletronic
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

FIGHT ME IRL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 12:07 am »

lots of boring characters that all die anyway, rest in piece Donnie Yen and Gruff Friend of Donnie Yen, you were the coolest and everyone else was boring

i watched the film a second time to see if it would affect any of my opinions and it didn't.

i don't find the two leads of Jyn or Cassian to be overly compelling and their death is cheapened still by the final bit after everyone planetside sacrifices everything to get the plans off base, we STILL have to endure the nerdwank scene of Vader trashing a bunch of nameless dudes in a hallway playing olympic torch with the disc to get it to fake Leia. in that scene Vader uses the force like six times, why didn't he just grab the tape? or pull the guy who was hanging with an arm through the door for like 30 seconds? on a second viewing, i dislike the entire bit even more. why involve Vader at all if the most impact he's going to have in the movie is a choking scene at his spooky lava castle he lives in for some reason, and then a bit that's designed to just be connective tissue to ANH. i didn't like it, especially after the cool factor of finally seeing Vader clown on some dudes wore off from the first viewing.

i still would have felt better about the end of the movie had it ended with the mon cal getting the data and boosting the fuck out of dodge, everything after feels like tired fan service.

i still maintain vader looks weirdly cheap, but i guess he always kind of did and i never noticed. i think his classic design, which they're accurate to, doesn't hold up as well to me, personally.

i still think this movie didn't justify itself, it's a fine watch but doesn't add anything meaningful or lasting to the Star Wars canon and any interesting characters it introduced died anyway.

the thing that holds this movie up for me is the action sequences and the pacing. most everything else i find to be bland to uninteresting, and it doesn't give me great confidence in prequel filler stories going forward.

if loving me is wrong, everybody is right
Citizen Snips
Probably a postbot

Der Zorn Gottes

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 11:52 am »

I liked the Vader Goes Apeshit on the Rebels part because it conveyed a proper mood of a really tense escape

I didn't like the CGI Leia bit because it ruined that intensity and instead made me go "oh, look, it's a shitty CGI Leia"

Kybard
society's stared-at man
Mod

HOW ARE YOU

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 12:52 pm »

yeah the leia was distracting. I felt like her face was moving too much (like overcorrecting for the usual lack of detail in CGI people faces), was maybe too waxy/perfect looking? and regardless they lingered on the effect like a beat too long

the actual emotional resonance worked okay for me mostly I think because I learned about carrie fisher's death literally minutes before the movie started, so recognizing where they were going with that last image I was already ready to be taken with it before it happened

but it's not so great when you consider that it's coming from an alive lady
Citizen Snips
Probably a postbot

Der Zorn Gottes

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 03:34 pm »

Also, I don't get all the people complaining about the lack of characterization, because to me everyone seemed pretty distinctively sketched. It feels like we're spoiled by both already established canons like Marvel (where we have years of backstory and iconography to fill in the gaps) as well as the era of prestige TV (where we get to spend around 500 hours with the same characters) and now we expect the same level of detail to be established in 90-130 minutes. We don't have time to reconnect with Batman or get to know another Don Draperówe have to learn about the characters through a few lines of dialogue and visual elements (e.g. costumes and make-up). I felt this was done extremely well here.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 03:42 pm by Citizen Snips » Logged

Remington Lonespear
#buttchat
Deathfat

Neil deGrasse Tyson for the motherepic shit win

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 08:23 pm »

yeah but you're wrong

this movie is Not Very Good

[18:30] <JonasSalk> lee was bring nerds together forever
Citizen Snips
Probably a postbot

Der Zorn Gottes

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 11:34 pm »

who even cares

Navigator2001Plus
Admin

That's what she said.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 11:13 am »

yeah but you're wrong

this movie is Not Very Good

incorrect

EFHRK
ABORTION FORESTFUCK
Hurker

I am a huddled mass

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 06:01 pm »

who even cares

nav
evilspud
Street Smart

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 09:20 am »

I liked all the shooty shoots and the big space bangos at the end.

C'mon stop being a dick just screenshot the best bits for us.
Mr Gale
Unbannable
Admin

I am Poirot

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 08:07 am »

I saw this nerd movie. It was pretty meh, I liked the bang bang and the bazinga. But it was too badly put together to be good and not quite bad enough to be funny.

It had that DC movie feel where it seemed like you could have cut or rewritten a good enough movie out of the parts, the motley crew of bad guy rebels on a heist etc and empire power shenanigans, but as it was they were all painfully thinly written and the plot was nonsensically clipped and tone dry to point of boredom. Lots of wasting a really good cast.

The sassy marvin the murderous android got annoying pretty fast and the various cartoon characters were hilariously bad. The REFERENCES also annoying.

(click to show/hide)

Would be interested in seeing/hearing how it was before the extensive cuts/reshoot stuff.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length