Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2017, 10:29 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Games and Stuff With Wires
| | |-+  Rise of the Tomb Raider
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rise of the Tomb Raider  (Read 427 times)
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2016, 06:59 am »

It's been a tradition of mine to get every continuously disappointing Tomb Raider instalment immediately upon release because like a smack freak I'm still chasing that first hit of having my socks completely blown off by a very clever game. I didn't get this one because lol 40.

It was on sale this weekend so I picked it up. Lara's head has changed shape which is disconcerting and made me reflect on the insanity of recasting video game characters. Like the previous one, it's a stealth actioner with some platforming bits, targeted at an presumed ideal player who suffers from both ADHD and OCD, divided into a series of obstacle courses where the player is expected to return to previously explored areas several times to collect thousands of bits of pointless shit, as directed by the relentless messaging and blinging and booping and information overload and mountains of garbage firing up on the screen to keep you staring at it because presumably your attention has wandered and you're looking at your phone or masturbating out the window or whatever.

They've included some actual tomb raiding in this one, but reluctantly, as the tombs are all optional and hidden out of the way. Instead of an intriguing secret looking path or something a pop-up message yelling OPTIONAL CHALLENGE TOMB will blat up on the screen to indicate there's a puzzle area nearby. These are the best parts of the game, where all the swarming enemies and NPC and radio chatter and Lara's constant inner dialogue shuts the fuck up and it's just you, alone, in a spooky ancient temple with a bunch of puzzles. Then they have to go and ruin it with Lara's omniscient Bat-Vision (basically a cheat mode) and an intrusive pop-up message that appears every five seconds ordering you to switch bat-vision on because presumably stopping to try to figure something out for a couple of minutes is considered some sort of christ-sodomizing blasphemy. Then you're herded back onto the main path with all its crass constant weapon upgrades and pointless murder.

The environments look incredible. The story is so bland it seems focus-grouped. Vulnerable Millennial Daddy Issues Lara doesn't get her face sadistically murdered off every two minutes like in the last one, if it even is her, her head is different. There's some sort of collectible card game built into it which I will never look at. Parts of it are really good. So far it feels like there's a solid game under the infuriating bullshit UI.
laktose
Unbanned

SLAM DRUNK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 06:01 pm »

Do you still find machine gun upgrades in tombs no one's been in for like 500 years?

i love too laugh with, my pals on this web sight
Skeletonic
Skeletronic
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

FIGHT ME IRL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 09:13 pm »

no, the ancient treasure you find is books that teach you ancient techniques and stuff that for the most part make sense, like a lost mongol arrow technique or things about hunting/gathering

i like the game quite a lot, more than the first one. there is still some UI bullshittery but it felt more fun. there also (felt like) less arenas of generic chest high cover walls that turned into arenas.

the card game thing is for the survival mode, the cards are power ups/challenges or whatever. i haven't really messed with it.

i've been meaning to get the DLC for this because I really do like the game quite a lot.

if loving me is wrong, everybody is right
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 05:17 pm »

Some of the environments are exceptionally detailed.

Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length