Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2017, 09:54 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Holy SHit, USA, what are you doing?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Holy SHit, USA, what are you doing?  (Read 9658 times)
Wibblewobble
Pug Club President

May contain nuts

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2016, 01:02 pm »

Welcome to the Brexitian world of insane populism, America.

Also:
Aberdeenshire business owner wins presidential election

Johnny Roastbeef
Novice LARPer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2016, 07:50 pm »

ready for the vaguest notion of "change" as long as it means being coddled to and told that their paranoia and xenophobia are legitimate and deserve a response

I think it's quite the opposite, a resistance to the vaguest notion of change. Coal miners don't want to hear that they might do better if they learned a new job, they want to be able to keep digging coal out of the ground no matter how empty the mine is. It's not begging for change, it's denying that the world around you has changed and you haven't kept up.

Because freshness is expected of any hip-hop artist, I avoid using traditional techniques.
88FingersLouie
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

Back to Abnormal

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2016, 08:23 pm »

I feel like Charlton Heston washing up on the beach at the end of Planet of the Apes.

They finally fucking did it.

Your mother is so fat, she couldn't fit on a FAT32 file system. We solved the problem by upgrading to a more modern format, but sadly it's acronym does not lend itself to this joke.
Kybard
society's stared-at man
Mod

HOW ARE YOU

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2016, 08:37 am »

I think it's quite the opposite, a resistance to the vaguest notion of change. Coal miners don't want to hear that they might do better if they learned a new job, they want to be able to keep digging coal out of the ground no matter how empty the mine is. It's not begging for change, it's denying that the world around you has changed and you haven't kept up.

sure ok

it can be both: fear of change/progress + desire for change/regression

but it's not so great when you consider that it's coming from an alive lady
Karlski
ಠ_ಠ
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2016, 06:36 pm »

The polling numbers don't match up with what you guys are saying. Trump didn't energise some kind of deeply angry otherwise-silent base. He got marginally fewer popular votes than Romney in 2012 - so, accounting for population growth, he lost a couple percent of the Republican base. The thing is, Clinton lost a massive chunk of the Dems base.

Now, what you put that down to is another question and I'll bet a crisp new pineapple it's a combination of things. Maybe some of the democratic party base bought into the emails bullshit. Definitely Hillary's ground game was inept (Bernie won Michigan and you didn't campaign there at all?!), defo the energised millennial demo' was pissed at how the Dems screwed Bernie over.

I will point out that you see a similar age group breakdown as Brexit, which is interesting since you'd have to be, what, 40? to have a personal memory of the previous Clinton administration. So what're the odds that a decent chunk of older Dem voters saw a Clinton and went "oh no, not again"?

It's probably just 'cause she's a woman tho.

<TDF> Karlski only has one rule
<TDF> And that rule is "get fucked"
pingollum
Fart Wizard

the one with the sex-toylet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2016, 07:26 pm »

you guys i'm sorry it was all my fault

i suck at watching stuff whenever i watch my team play any sports they lose and i was really intent on watching your elections, i don't even know why, i was positive it was an easy win

i'm so so sorry THIS ALWAYS HAPPENS

Skeletonic
Skeletronic
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

FIGHT ME IRL

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2016, 09:51 pm »

The polling numbers don't match up with what you guys are saying. Trump didn't energise some kind of deeply angry otherwise-silent base. He got marginally fewer popular votes than Romney in 2012 - so, accounting for population growth, he lost a couple percent of the Republican base. The thing is, Clinton lost a massive chunk of the Dems base.

Now, what you put that down to is another question and I'll bet a crisp new pineapple it's a combination of things. Maybe some of the democratic party base bought into the emails bullshit. Definitely Hillary's ground game was inept (Bernie won Michigan and you didn't campaign there at all?!), defo the energised millennial demo' was pissed at how the Dems screwed Bernie over.

I will point out that you see a similar age group breakdown as Brexit, which is interesting since you'd have to be, what, 40? to have a personal memory of the previous Clinton administration. So what're the odds that a decent chunk of older Dem voters saw a Clinton and went "oh no, not again"?

It's probably just 'cause she's a woman tho.

I agree with several of these points, especially the effect of distancing Bernie votes, especially after the DNC email leak. Emails in general didn't do Hillary any favors, especially attracting any of the invisible centrists she kept targeting. The Dems did a bad job of speaking to THEIR base the same way Trump spoke to his. Nothing he said was that radically different than the typical GOP message, it just wasn't sugar coated or code-worded. The Dems didn't do enough to get more latinos out to vote (other than "that wall tho, and Trump racism!"). While definitely off-putting, that's a case of "this is why you don't vote for Trump" and not a case of "what am I going to do for you and why should you vote for me". Same thing with the black vote--and, personally, I think a lot of women, as well. Dems were presenting status quo, and the best message they had was highlighting how awful Trump is which isn't something that needed highlighting. The man is an orange highlighter.

So, ultimately, the Dems took a lot of their base for granted and didn't get enough people to get out there and actually vote, and that's why we have a Trump presidency and a House and Senate Republican majority (and soon the SCOTUS).

So don't get mad at the Trump votes. I mean, do, because fuck you guys really, but those people were going to vote whether it was Kasich or Jeb or Zodiac or a slice of warm toast in a white collar shirt.

Get mad at the 49% of registered voters who didn't show up. Get mad at the clowns who threw their votes away for write-in jokes. Get mad at yourself for not doing more in your community to encourage your peers to vote. Because if you're angry, those people who didn't vote ARE your peers. That's what the numbers show.

I know, next election, I'm going to do a lot more. Volunteer, and push for a better tomorrow. That's the only thing we can do. If we learn nothing else from this election, it's that the only thing standing in the way of a backslide into 1950s hell America is about 2% more of Americans giving a shit.

if loving me is wrong, everybody is right
nameinuse2
Captain Nice!
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2016, 03:56 am »

I know, next election, I'm going to do a lot more. Volunteer, and push for a better tomorrow. That's the only thing we can do. If we learn nothing else from this election, it's that the only thing standing in the way of a backslide into 1950s hell America is about 2% more of Americans giving a shit.

That's great, but do all that stuff well before the next election, because even the concept of the "next election" is up for grabs at this point. It sounds hyperbolic, but what the fuck hasn't been hyperbolic about any of this?
nameinuse2
Captain Nice!
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2016, 04:29 am »

Also, before you do any of that stuff, encrypt encrypt encrypt fwiw.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 05:04 am by nameinuse2 » Logged
HyperGlavin
bridge and tunnel dyke
Probably a postbot

I'm a cool guy irl

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2016, 07:56 am »

Donald Trump is a fuck and America can eat my butt and all of its contents

Yes, come on, get a dog up you, you rapscallion.
Wibblewobble
Pug Club President

May contain nuts

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2016, 03:20 pm »

Get mad at the 49% of registered voters who didn't show up.

Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2016, 05:52 pm »

Donald Trump has the concentration span of a fruit fly and I'll be amazed if he hasn't quit out of boredom by Christmas 2017
CatAstrophe
Gay Dolphin Sex
Hurker

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2016, 05:53 pm »

I agree with Karlski and Skeletonic and fucking kill me.

fermun   haha, if killing babies offends you, this may not be the show for you
CatAstrophe
Gay Dolphin Sex
Hurker

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2016, 06:18 pm »

No wait, I'm not done.

I honestly have no fucking faith liberals and Democrats are going to fix their heaping piles of shit. I don't give a flying fuck about Clinton or Sanders at this point anymore, but the DNC did everything in their power to make them, with their various strengths and weaknesses, the worst candidates they've run in a while. 2008 Clinton was more exciting than 2016 Clinton and the DNC did everything they could to railroad Sanders.

Then you have Clinton diehards blaming Sanders for having run a campaign against her... like he was somehow supposed to fight for the nomination without ever saying a negative thing about her. Guess what? The McCain campaign used shit Clinton said about Obama in 2008 against him, stop being so fucking precious. I get it, misogyny fucking sucks but misogynists aren't going to stop being misogynists just because you tell them they are being naughty. Do something about it. Choose the right fucking candidate or make her more exciting. Same thing, with the whole "don't blame me, Trump voters are the bad ones." Shut the fuck up, Trump voters are not going to fix our shit. Same goes for the Bernie supporters. If you want to make the point about messed up of a campaign the DNC ran saying "If only it was Bernie..." isn't going to change shit. I don't even fully believe he could have pulled it off under this same organization if he somehow had the nomination but everything else remained intact (which would never have happened, but still) because of the sheer level of incompetence.

I was told Clinton had a great ground game so I just trusted because reading about the day to day ongoings of candidate I'm barely even lukewarm on is not my favorite past time, but holy shit, she never went to Michigan? The place where Sanders upset her? Don't ever tell me Clinton is some sort of political mastermind again. Brilliant at policy, intelligent, qualified, etc.? Ok, yes. But someone fucking failed her badly in this arena.

I hope Clinton disappears and I hope Sanders sticks around only to raise up and guide some progressive politicians, preferably not white men from the northeast.

And with all of this, I have never felt more compelled (well, I can't say I ever felt compelled before) to register Democrat in my life. Because Republicans managed to rebirth themselves under the shitshow that previously had that name, even if accidentally, so if we're stuck with the Democratic Party as our furthest left party I should probably stop complaining, get off my ass, and do something about it.

Now you can kill me.

fermun   haha, if killing babies offends you, this may not be the show for you
codespyder
Unbanned

mmmmm

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2016, 06:20 pm »

what did i miss

When I was 16 I got so drunk that I shit myself in a sleeping bag.
Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2016, 11:27 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zorJ4cClLU4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zorJ4cClLU4</a>
Katastrophikus
Hurker

Tequila fiend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2016, 01:02 am »

That is fucking amazing!
evilspud
Street Smart

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2017, 12:49 pm »

Uggghhh

C'mon stop being a dick just screenshot the best bits for us.
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2017, 03:53 pm »

During the prayer before lunch, the BBC News subtitle bot printed out "In the name of the Father, The Son, And the Holy Spirit - Ahmed" which coaxed a rusty hoot of laughter from my despairing lungs
evilspud
Street Smart

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2017, 07:39 pm »

My best advice to all of you right now is to buy up any land for sale in Nova Scotia or The Yukon because in about 50 years or so that shit is going to go from tundra to breadbasket and you'll all become wealthy land owners.  If you want to play even hard odds, look at islands in the southern hemisphere that won't likely be immediately desecrated by nuclear fallout.  For the biggest spenders, build a bunker at least 200 meters inside a mountain and within drilling distance of an underground tributary. 

C'mon stop being a dick just screenshot the best bits for us.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length