Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2017, 01:20 am

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Games and Stuff With Wires
| | |-+  oculus rift
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: oculus rift  (Read 1658 times)
Kybard
society's stared-at man
Mod

HOW ARE YOU

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2016, 10:07 am »

I got one of these

it is fucking incredible

but it's not so great when you consider that it's coming from an alive lady
Kybard
society's stared-at man
Mod

HOW ARE YOU

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 10:08 am »

to be more detailed here is an email of random thoughts I sent to my friends earlier today

- surprisingly one of the funnest things so far is playing pinball in VR. I play it standing up and it's eerie how natural it feels to play pinball when you can lean in, watch the ball from different angles, peer up to the top of the table to see what the hell's going on with all the random shit that always happens in a pinball machine

- I have a virtual desktop app that lets me mirror my PC screen within VR, and I have the xbox app that lets me stream my xbox to my PC, and combining those I can play xbox one games on a giant home theater screen in virtual reality. it is super neat

- the racing game I got will be much more awesome whenever I have enough money to buy a racing wheel, but it's already kind of amazing. the problem with first-person racing games is always that you can't really see anything, or not nearly enough to drive a car properly. getting actually inside the car, being able to use peripheral vision and your side-view mirrors, is so cool. the game's a little glitchy though since it wasn't initially built for VR-- I took a turn badly and rammed into a guardrail and the game shoved me outside of the front windshield, and I couldn't get back without restarting the whole game

the positional tracking (being able to lean in/peer around corners) is absolutely mind-blowing. the resolution is not perfect -- you can see pixels if you're looking for them -- but most of the stuff designed for the Rift is built to minimize those problems so you don't really notice after a while. the built-in headphones are great and do a good job with positional sound so that stuff behind you sounds like it's behind you and so on.

Johnny Roastbeef
Novice LARPer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 10:45 am »

Nerd.

Because freshness is expected of any hip-hop artist, I avoid using traditional techniques.
Citizen Snips
♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖ ♙♙♙♙♙♙♙♙ ♟♟♟♟♟♟♟♟ ♜♞♝♛♚♝♞♜
Probably a postbot

Der Zorn Gottes

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 12:53 pm »

I took a turn badly and rammed into a guardrail and the game shoved me outside of the front windshield, and I couldn't get back without restarting the whole game

Sounds like an accurate representation of that experience to me.

Kybard
society's stared-at man
Mod

HOW ARE YOU

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 04:25 pm »

well yeah but usually while your entire torso is on the wrong side of the window you can't just continue driving and steering as normal

Johnny Roastbeef
Novice LARPer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 04:43 pm »

Driving, flight and space games (anything with a cockpit I guess) seem to me to be the place where this will really be a revolutionary technology. That's a place where everyone is reasonably familiar with the real life equivalent of operating a vehicle, and like you said, the ability to naturally use peripheral vision and reverse angles seems like it will make such a difference.

Because freshness is expected of any hip-hop artist, I avoid using traditional techniques.
evilspud
Street Smart

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 12:32 pm »

Before i get one i have to upgrade my i5 2500, which means a new motherboard on top of a new CPU and maybe even a new heat sink.  Goddammit i am not looking forward to that at all.

C'mon stop being a dick just screenshot the best bits for us.
Kybard
society's stared-at man
Mod

HOW ARE YOU

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 12:06 am »

touch controllers are excellent and help bring things of lasting value to the world https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5hibyw/what_an_amazing_new_artistic_tool_go_forth_and/

evilspud
Street Smart

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 09:25 pm »

I ALSO HAVE TO BUY DDR4 RAM FUCK ME

C'mon stop being a dick just screenshot the best bits for us.
Kybard
society's stared-at man
Mod

HOW ARE YOU

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 09:58 pm »

but seriously the touch lineup of games is outstanding, partially just because the experience is so novel but also because oculus sunk so much money into making sure these games had the funding to feel polished

SUPERHOT VR is the most amazing experience I have ever had playing a game. same mechanic as normal superhot -- time only moves when you do -- but so crazily satisfying as a VR experience. it makes you feel like a god, or like Neo from the matrix, when you literally lean back and watch a bullet slowly whizz by your face and then retaliate by throwing a stapler so hard that it explodes a dude's face. I played this game for ~20 minutes at one point and then while outside a few minutes later at a crosswalk, came alarmingly close to just standing in the middle of traffic because I just expected the oncoming cars to freeze as long as I didn't move my head

the other one I've been playing the most is THE CLIMB which is mountain climbing in VR. thrilling and genuinely a little physically taxing since you've got your hands up in the air pretty much the whole time. also just a gorgeous game for looking around as you play. I finished one climb of an arctic mountain, stood on the summit and had to hold my hand up to not have to squint at the sunset, then heard rumbling behind me and watched a sheet of ice fall off a huge iceberg, and when it hit the water a big ol' pack of adorable puffins flapped away toward the sunset, and I just stood and stared with my hand half-blocking the glare, and it was completely crazy and amazing

Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length