Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2017, 05:32 am

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Games and Stuff With Wires
| | |-+  Elite: Dangerous
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 5452 times)
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2015, 01:17 pm »

this game is really really orange

more exciting updates as they come in
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 02:52 pm »

holy god they just this second released an update that nuked all my progress and is forcing me to play through all the bullshit training missions. Fuck the training missions, particularly the Crimson Fury. What numbskull would ever get into an extended dogfight spending half an hour poking away at a worthless opponent with fixed mount pulse lasers? Fucking nobody, you'd just supercruise out of there or kill yourself and pay the tiny restart fee. This was my chillout game for the last couple of days and it's just made me really angry
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 05:03 pm »

Yay they fixed it, David Braben is evidently reading this thread :D

MY JOURNEY SO FAR:

I made my first 20K by trafficking in poo and toxic waste. Fined for speeding, fined for loitering, fined for reckless flying in a starport. Eventually the local despots took notice of me and I started being offered rebel transmission retrieval missions at 12K a pop. Ten of these bought me an Eagle with gimballed multicannons and I chanced upon a refinery system with two gas giants surrounded by asteroid belts. Three businesses are mining these belts and are constantly being hammered by the local pirate gang. Every time the pirates jump in, federal security fly up en masse and slaughter them. By sneakily picking off crippled pirate ships, I very quickly became a rich fragstealing turd with a shiny new Cobra Mk 3.

Thoughts:

Grinding through the trading system is as hypnotic & addictive as it always was

Being pulled over by the cops is really annoying.

One of the Federation recruitment missions is a blatant hazing. Smuggling highly illegal bioweapons into a Federal starport on silent running as your cockpit slowly boils you almost to death is a sphincter grindingly intense experience.

The wingman system is immense fun, especially if you hook up with conscienceless bastards of strangers who will almost inevitably stab you in the back the second they think they'll get away with it.

Multiplayer Elite isn't really the dream gaming experience I have long fantasised about but that's not the game's fault so much as other humans being annoying bags of shit

The orange is really going to drive me nuts
Johnny Roastbeef
Novice LARPer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 05:21 pm »

I wanted to get this but my primary hesitation is that it might not run on my 4 year old computer.

Do they let you land manually on planets in this or is it a "dock with the planet" to land thing?

Because freshness is expected of any hip-hop artist, I avoid using traditional techniques.
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 05:43 pm »

Planets are as yet not explorable, you dock with hi-tech orbital starports or black market backwater drilling-rig style platforms
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 05:52 pm »

E:D at the moment is an expanded, flashy version of the first game. There is a long series of planned expansions that will gradually add the planetary features from 2 and 3 and new stuff like spacewalking and manual boarding of other players' ships. Todays update increased the complexity of the galactic factions and added a bunch of Europa Universalis-type strategy stuff ticking away in the background. I was disappointed to see that everything is run by shitty old humans as usual, I wanted to see the procedurally generated fat furry felines and spiny red lobster people.
Johnny Roastbeef
Novice LARPer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 06:08 pm »

Oh so is this still in Early Access?

Because freshness is expected of any hip-hop artist, I avoid using traditional techniques.
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 06:34 pm »

I've been looking at this game but been holding off because space sims are so often buggy or in a state where the developers plan on working on the game for 3 years after release because it is their dream game. I'll probably pick it up when there's a big Steam sale and it's a ridiculously good deal, by then I imagine that they will have added a ton of features and all the bugs will have been squashed.
evilspud
Street Smart

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 07:37 pm »

Please let me know when I can fight and/or play as Zoidberg.

C'mon stop being a dick just screenshot the best bits for us.
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 04:53 am »

Oh so is this still in Early Access?

No, it's finished. All the expansions will be sequel material and they'll probably add optional content to the basic game every few months a la Minecraft.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 05:03 am by Chez San » Logged
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 05:01 am »

I've been looking at this game but been holding off because space sims are so often buggy or in a state where the developers plan on working on the game for 3 years after release because it is their dream game. I'll probably pick it up when there's a big Steam sale and it's a ridiculously good deal, by then I imagine that they will have added a ton of features and all the bugs will have been squashed.

I held off getting it for months for the same reasons but after playing it for a while Frontier I think have gone the opposite route to Star Citizen and first and foremost released a proper finished game. There's enough scope for as much future content as people want to pay for but I'm quite happy with it as it is. I can't wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone because I've loved Elite since I was 8 and am basically the exact target demographic.
evilspud
Street Smart

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 07:32 am »

Is this fun to play with a pleasant buzz?

evilspud
Street Smart

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 07:34 am »

EDIT: I ask because I want to sip Brandy while captaining a starship.

Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 08:45 am »

Certainly is. Unless motion sickness is a thing for you.
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 08:49 am »

I just dragged a movie star's luxury space liner out of supercruise and carved it up like a turkey while he wittered on about complicated lattes. Some gangsters then paid me for the privilege. Then, in an identical mission, they paid me to waste a space boy band.

All the pilots appear to have Nordic or Middle Englander names, eg Bjorn Thundersson or Alf Chumley
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2015, 06:50 am »

Left Elite on all night, came back to find it running at 12fps, the station full of wreckage, and my text messages full of the death screams of 29 pilots. Hooray for procedural gameplay!
evilspud
Street Smart

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2015, 03:54 pm »

I picked up this game on Tuesday, and whoever had the idea to have the player jump out of hyperspace into a goddamn impossible sun that churns like a hellish squall is a goddamned genius.

It's good fun. I'm spudfella, if you want to add me and shoot pirates together.

evilspud
Street Smart

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2015, 09:57 pm »

It's on sale on steam now for $40, as opposed to $60.

Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2015, 12:46 pm »

in case you don't want to associate with a total stranger called Blood Gasm, it's actually me
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2015, 03:44 am »

Apparently you can swap out the AI voice for that of Tom Baker, Norman Lovett or BRIAN BLESSED holy crap

http://hcsvoicepacks.com/

There's one that sounds the absolute spit of Ian McKellen but I can't verify if it is or not
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length