Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 24, 2017, 07:10 am

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Dumbtown
| | |-+  put all PWoT/Cracked stuff in here (and not in other threads)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: put all PWoT/Cracked stuff in here (and not in other threads)  (Read 11198 times)
evilspud
Street Smart

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2015, 04:06 pm »

Yeah, how dare they. I miss the old cracked days when rape culture was just tumblr drama that didn't actually exist.

C'mon stop being a dick just screenshot the best bits for us.
laktose
Unbanned

SLAM DRUNK

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2015, 05:55 pm »

Unless the victim is a child, female-on-male rape is considered so absurd that the only time we really see it is when it's being portrayed as a carousel of slapstick wackiness in mainstream comedies.

i love too laugh with, my pals on this web sight
evilspud
Street Smart

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2015, 07:00 pm »

Maybe if the article was "Ten Wackiest Stories of Female on Male Rape (That Actually Happened)," your shock would make sense. But honestly I didn't read anything in that article that treated the issue as terribly as you make it sound. If it's just your opinion that cracked does too many silly articles to tackle a darker subject then whatever, I guess. It's still been pretty clear that their personal experience pieces deal with heavier stuff than their typical lists (and are, in fact, get covered by their own team of writers!).

laktose
Unbanned

SLAM DRUNK

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2015, 07:18 pm »

I just don't think a site that does a lot of silly pop culture listicles (which is fine, really) should apply that same format and attempts at humour to articles about things like rape. It seems gross.

i love too laugh with, my pals on this web sight
evilspud
Street Smart

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2015, 07:31 pm »

That's fair. Like, I can that the list format was designed for that silly pop culture stuff and shifting it over to the serious business seems really, really weird; no one should be going into a rape discussion with the same mindset they have when thinking about funny celebrity haircuts. I'm not an editor, but I know that they are really serious about sticking to the cracked list formula. Apparently articles that veer away from that tend to do really poorly on the site?

I will give props to Amanda Mannen though, since I thought she did a really good job covering it. If you remove the list subtitles and pictures, it really does read like a solid interview.

Metsfan
Book Smart

I like to get intimate with inanimate inmates.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: February 01, 2015, 08:30 pm »

The Cracked format is literally designed to be read over your morning coffee and forgotten about later in the week. And no one is actually against them doing their format, it just doesn't lend itself to subjects that should be taken (at least somewhat) seriously and not talked about in the same vein as every other poop/dick joke article on the site. What you get at the end of the day is a serious piece that reads like a joke because they are unwilling to change their tone about any subject at all.

I'm not even saying they have to do a serious interview that's completely devoid of humor, but it's still the same voice (and it's not even a good voice) that is used in every single listicle, no matter what. The article becomes awkward at that point because, as a reader, I have no idea how the author felt on the matter. We end up with a product that's immature and in poor taste.

That's not even to say Amanda didn't work hard on the article, or the writers don't have an interest in writing mature pieces, it's just the Cracked format dumbing things down to an absurd level. So gross.

Won't somebody think of the nerds?
DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

#1 Internet Content Poster

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2015, 10:48 pm »

#ProtectTheBrand

EFHRK
ABORTION FORESTFUCK
Hurker

I am a huddled mass

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2015, 10:59 pm »

Cracked.com - Your number one source for fart jokes, video game photoshop contests, and mature editorials on rape survivor stories.
codespyder
Unbanned

mmmmm

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2015, 11:05 pm »

cracked dot com? more like cRAPED dot com amirite?

When I was 16 I got so drunk that I shit myself in a sleeping bag.
HyperGlavin
bridge and tunnel dyke
Probably a postbot

I'm a cool guy irl

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2015, 11:42 pm »

More like crapped.on

Yes, come on, get a dog up you, you rapscallion.
BSam
Wikipedia Nazi Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2015, 01:11 am »

Cracked.com - Your number one source for fart jokes, video game photoshop contests, and mature editorials on rape survivor stories.

that's like the only good thing you've said
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer
Killer Blob Supporter

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2015, 12:44 pm »

I dunno, I also don't think this is stop the presses terrible stuff. It's a bit weird and off-putting to most of the people here because most of the people here 1) don't read Cracked. 2) Do read more academic things on rape and rape culture.

From what I've gathered, most of the editorial staff at Cracked (with the obvious rape-culture-is-trolling exception) are progressive people who would ideally like to use their huge platform for good reasons. I know I remember DOB doing a thing about taking down his first novel from its blog online because he wrote it as a young dude and didn't like the messages it reinforced, for example. So, they have a readership with huge swaths of young people, with geek-oriented interests. A lot of people who will read that article as a Cracked thing in the Cracked voice wouldn't be out there reading pieces that are entirely serious in tone, and if it serves as an in for some of them to actually learn and start realizing that "hey, there's this real problem in the world I had never really considered a real thing," then all the better.
pingollum
Fart Wizard

the one with the sex-toylet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2015, 03:33 pm »

so cracked dot com just published another hilarious article that i'm not even going to provide a link to because seriously cracked, what the fuck are you even thinking anymore

i'm sure you guys can guess which one it is (hint: it's the one that gets you on FBI watchlists)

evilspud
Street Smart

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2015, 11:01 pm »

It was pretty weird to see that article framed with the "holier than you because we're giving pedophilia a fair shake" stance.

Like I don't think anyone here is anti-helping people with a mental illness.

EFHRK
ABORTION FORESTFUCK
Hurker

I am a huddled mass

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 08, 2015, 11:40 pm »

i am
Skeletonic
Skeletronic
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

FIGHT ME IRL

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2015, 01:07 am »

C'mon, EFHRK. It's okay to ask for help if you really need it

if loving me is wrong, everybody is right
smashington
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 10, 2016, 05:43 pm »

hey can I join the Cracked-is-a-cliquey-wad-of-jerk club

I know this discussion is like an entire year old but I wanted to put in a quick two cents re: rape survivors posting their stories on comedy websites. Humor is a survival tool and it's super hard to be a functional human being when you can't try to make jokes about the horrible things in your life. That's all.

Also, super happy for the reminder that current Cracked folk can see this forum. It's very tempting to blargh about everything that's led to me coming here but considering the circumstances I'd like to make my life a little bit easier and like...not blargh where certain people can see me.

So uh hey guys I guess I'm here now
spermos thermos
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2016, 08:02 pm »

Excellent teeth.

Fuck science and fuck Jesus.
evilspud
Street Smart

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 10, 2016, 09:19 pm »

Good to be reminded that PWoT still has some piss fucking scumbags still kicking around there.

smashington
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 10, 2016, 10:01 pm »

Good to be reminded that PWoT still has some piss fucking scumbags still kicking around there.

I have the feeling that pfs' kick around anywhere there's people gathered. Pretty sure I tick off some of the finer points of pfs'. But I'd be lying if I said I don't still love the whole of Cracked and many of the people in it. It's a great, open platform that has been used for good. It's just that very same sort of dumb, blind drive for JUSTICE and BLAHBLAH that's kind of getting in the way.

Weeeeee

Excellent teeth.

Thanks, I Facebook-stickered it myself! I am very talented.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length