Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 25, 2017, 08:32 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Sanctum Sanctorum
| | |-+  So Scotland may very well leave the UK
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: So Scotland may very well leave the UK  (Read 18935 times)
Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2014, 12:46 pm »

Here's a mini-doc from CBC about the hypothetical day after a successful separation referendum in Quebec, and how clueless everyone was with regards to what would happen. I imagine it's much of the same in the U.K.

Embed doesn't seem to want to work for me.
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2014, 12:49 pm »

Osborne et al violated the purdah today by making new deals after the vote has started (they called off the third debate for precisely that reason, reckoning the purdah began with the postal vote). The BBC happily assisted them in violating the purdah.

Not illegal, but perhaps a big red flag that the UK government basically doesn't give a shit about the rules.
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2014, 12:57 pm »

Here's a mini-doc from CBC about the hypothetical day after a successful separation referendum in Quebec, and how clueless everyone was with regards to what would happen. I imagine it's much of the same in the U.K.

Pretty much, there's so much smoke and disinformation being blown around from all sides that it's clear that nobody's got a clue. It's all very exciting, it'll be like starting a new Dwarf Fortress.
Wibblewobble
Pug Club President

May contain nuts

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2014, 02:59 pm »

Living in London is like living in a separate city state, and we're pretty much uninvolved in everything that goes on in the rest of the Cursed Earth (or 'the UK' as I believe it's also known).

Are you going to be a Republic? President Salmond?

fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2014, 03:26 pm »

Pretty much, there's so much smoke and disinformation being blown around from all sides that it's clear that nobody's got a clue. It's all very exciting, it'll be like starting a new Dwarf Fortress.
I recommend bringing an anvil, I know you don't need one because you can usually trade the first fall, but I find it a whole lot easier to trade for more seeds and stuff and just take the anvil to start with.
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2014, 03:51 pm »

Living in London is like living in a separate city state, and we're pretty much uninvolved in everything that goes on in the rest of the Cursed Earth (or 'the UK' as I believe it's also known).

Nope, we're keeping the Queen. Fuck knows why.
Ishliquor
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

Fives at High Sucking.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2014, 07:37 pm »

Well, it's because we know where our meta-allegiances lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojUa332pcoY

Seeking a vomitorium from the arena of the unwell.
Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2014, 07:42 pm »

constitutional monarchies wuddup
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2014, 08:33 pm »

If Scotland goes independent, don't form an alliance with France, as that didn't work out well last time.
Ishliquor
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

Fives at High Sucking.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2014, 09:26 pm »

Your father was a dieu et mon droit and your mother smells of honi soit qui mal y pense.

Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2014, 09:43 pm »

I hope your Scottish is better than your French.
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2014, 02:26 am »

constitutional monarchies wuddup

I suppose an independent Scotland will be heavily based on the way Denmark does stuff so already having a toothless monarch is one item off the list
Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2014, 06:06 am »

Denmark has proportional representation as well, which would probably be quite suitable for a region the size of Scotland. Is there much buzz about democratic reform too or is it largely just a separtist conversation?
Ishliquor
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

Fives at High Sucking.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2014, 12:11 pm »

I hope your Scottish is better than your French.

Naw man, ah'm aye spraffin' pish.

And the context of the two phrases is that they both appear on the royal coat of arms of the United Kingdom (adopted 1837):

Dieu et mon droit was apparently used as far back as the 12th century by Richard I (he of the Lionheart). Couldn't find much about "honi soit..." in terms of how old it is. Anyway the post was a silly, throwaway joke that doesn't withstand scrutiny.

On a more topical note, I think Chez San's point about it being good that people are becoming more politically engaged is right. Also, the top story on the BBC website today is about the next royal baby, so there's that too. Guess they don't want to have to re-brand as the E(&W&N.I.)BC.

Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2014, 12:45 pm »

Denmark has proportional representation as well, which would probably be quite suitable for a region the size of Scotland. Is there much buzz about democratic reform too or is it largely just a separtist conversation?

Democratic reform is the whole reason we're doing this, it's got nothing to do with nationalism, ethnicity, anti-English sentiment or what have you -  we've been controlled by so many unelected governments over the years that it can be argued that Scotland is not a democracy at all. The Conservatives are essentially a fringe party here with as much influence as the Monster Raving Loonies yet they still get to lob insane anti-poor taxes at us which we have to mop up with whatever spare change we can find down the sofa.

Are we a country or a province? Should we really be handing over our entire GDP to Westminster in exchange for pocket money? Do we trust the London establishment to have our best interests in mind and act accordingly? That's what people are asking themselves at this point in time.
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2014, 12:47 pm »

Also our national animal is the unicorn and we can put it on our flags, which will be awesome
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2014, 12:55 pm »

What will the UK do about their flag?
Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2014, 01:14 pm »

There are a bunch of fucking wacky possibilities, apparently.

A lot of commonwealth countries incorporate the british flag into theirs, which makes it even more difficult.

I dunno.
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2014, 01:46 pm »

I like this one best. Go with that one, UK, should Scotland dump you.
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2014, 01:50 pm »

That one's a bit NSDAP
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length