Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2017, 10:12 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  AV Club
| | |-+  What book(s) are you reading right fucking now
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] Print
Author Topic: What book(s) are you reading right fucking now  (Read 59699 times)
Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: July 10, 2015, 11:54 am »

I finished The Martian a few weeks ago and liked it. My only gripe was that the main character just didn't seem realistic. It's like the author tried to write himself in as he wishes he could be. Still good. The movie trailer looks great visuals wise too. 7.5/10.
Johnny Roastbeef
Novice LARPer

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 11, 2015, 06:56 am »

I'm currently reading The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August. I'm about halfway through and it's really awesome. Unless I come back in a couple days whining about it, assume the end was good too.

Ok so I hope someone else has read or is going to read this one, because the ending needs some talking about. I'm really torn.

(click to show/hide)

Because freshness is expected of any hip-hop artist, I avoid using traditional techniques.
FizzlePop
All yours
Fart Master

Why do we want to eat the people we love

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 07, 2015, 08:29 am »

I am reading beloved by Toni Morrison. It is a really good book.
Bettytron
Fart Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 07, 2015, 12:17 pm »

Ooh I just finished Beloved a couple weeks ago. So good. Morrison gets right to the heart of what freedom means to a person, what it means to have it taken away. She punctures the myth of "nice" slaveowners really effectively, too. It should be required high school reading.

Kybard
society's stared-at man
Mod

HOW ARE YOU

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 01, 2015, 05:59 pm »

earlier today I finished The Just City by Jo Walton. it's a fascinating, odd little sci-fi book: the Greek goddess Athene grabs a bunch of people from various time periods and dumps them into pre-sunk-into-the-ocean Atlantis to try implementing the city described in Plato's Republic. but really it's a story about Apollo, who decides to become human in that city in order to learn more about "equal significance and volition" after he's baffled by the fact that Daphne prays to transform into a tree rather than allow him to have sex with her

it is not the most plot-driven or propulsive thing, but that's to its benefit, especially once it's set everything up and basically proceeds to portray a series of Socratic dialogues that explore the implications of the premise from every possible angle. it is, at times, totally fascinating and compelling in a way a book hasn't been to me in a long time.

but it's not so great when you consider that it's coming from an alive lady
Frogbone
Captain Obvious

spook

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 25, 2015, 11:22 pm »

I finished The Martian a few weeks ago and liked it. My only gripe was that the main character just didn't seem realistic. It's like the author tried to write himself in as he wishes he could be. Still good. The movie trailer looks great visuals wise too. 7.5/10.

I also read this and liked it, but I felt like a lot of the main character's narration sounded like it was written by a teenager. Like the part where he describes retrofitting a spacecraft as "raping" it, or the part where he invents a new unit and decides to call it a "ninja-pirate". That stuff, I felt, was bad.

Anyway, I give it four ASCII boobs out of five. -> (.Y.) (.Y.) (.Y.) (.Y.)

bag of bubbling void ooze
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 08, 2015, 03:11 pm »

Walking in Ice by Werner Herzog. Fascinating intimate ramblings of a unique brain as he does a hobo tramp in the middle of winter.

The System of Objects by Jean Baudrillard. His ideas about the human desire to own things are illuminating, his prose is opaque and difficult.

I just finished Mr Mercedes and Revival. After Duma Key and Under the Dome I was pleasantly surprised to find that Stephen King has learned to edit himself more strictly. Both pretty well-written gripping yarns I thought.
evilspud
Street Smart

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 08, 2015, 10:32 pm »

I'm re-reading House of Leaves and digging into Broken Monsters by Lauren Beukes.

C'mon stop being a dick just screenshot the best bits for us.
FizzlePop
All yours
Fart Master

Why do we want to eat the people we love

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 28, 2015, 05:07 pm »

I am reading The Pale King by David Foster Wallace. It is incredibly well written and funny and has some gorgeous pieces of prose. But the IRS talk takes some getting used to
Kybard
society's stared-at man
Mod

HOW ARE YOU

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 02, 2016, 04:35 pm »

a couple weeks ago I read The Bell Jar, about which plenty has been written so I'll just say everyone who said good things about it is Correct because it is a Very Good book

just a few days ago I finished annihilation by jeff vandermeer, which is book 1 in a trilogy the second of which -- authority -- I'm reading now. it's about a creepy weird place that popped up out of nowhere along the coast, and the scientific expedition(s) to explore the surreal horrors inside. the first book I thought was a fantastic little piece of sci-fi/horror that is clearly never interested in answering the questions it's asking so much as using them to set a mood of encroaching inexplicable dread, under the pretense of an exploration/adventure story gone terribly, terribly wrong.

the second book's good so far with taking similar overtones into a very different kind of genre. thumbs up for now

Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 02, 2016, 04:49 pm »

Due to a kickass ebay auction I am reading The Road to Wigan Pier, to be followed by Down & Out, Burmese Days and the collected essays.

Edit: Wigan Pier Part 1 is 100 pages of utter relentless horror. If you ever feel bad about yourself or your life I suggest reading it.

Part 2 is less horrible and describes Orwell's awakening social conscience in terms his contemporaries flatly refused to listen to, dismissing this half of the book as "naive" and "repugnant". Reading it in 2016, I think he was dead on.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 06:01 am by Chez San » Logged
Citizen Snips
♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖ ♙♙♙♙♙♙♙♙ ♟♟♟♟♟♟♟♟ ♜♞♝♛♚♝♞♜
Probably a postbot

Der Zorn Gottes

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 04, 2016, 07:24 pm »

I'm trying to keep up with leisure reading while working through the mountain of largely turgid academic texts for grad school. Right now I'm reading Worlds of Exile and Illusion, a collection of Ursula K. Le Guin's first three Hainish novels, which are satisfying my craving for 1960s sci-fi. They're not as complexly developed as her later masterpieces, but the seeds her strengths as a creative writer are certainly there. They're also really short (100-150 pages each), so they're fun little book versions of those episodes of Star Trek where they go to the planets with weird societies that have eliminated crime at the expense of a child's life and good fashion sense.

88FingersLouie
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

Back to Abnormal

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 19, 2016, 06:00 pm »

I just finished Consider Phlebas, by Iain M Banks, the first novel in the Culture series.

Don't read this book if you need to be cheered up.

Your mother is so fat, she couldn't fit on a FAT32 file system. We solved the problem by upgrading to a more modern format, but sadly it's acronym does not lend itself to this joke.
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 20, 2016, 05:56 am »

What stayed with me about Consider Phlebas was how Joss Whedon repeatedly stole the Clear Air Turbulence crew
smashington
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 21, 2016, 01:43 pm »

I'm on book 16 or 17 (ya lose track after a bit) of the Discworld series after starting it about two months ago, which means I'm about halfway through the whole entire thing. Is there a longer book series out there? Can I kindle it? I have about 4-5 hours of riding buses and trains in a day to and from work so I have a shit ton of time to kill.
Author

slim sunny

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 21, 2016, 02:46 pm »

the hardy boys
jimbob
AKA Billy
Book Smart

Chelonoidis nigra

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 21, 2016, 05:48 pm »

left behind

Kybard
society's stared-at man
Mod

HOW ARE YOU

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 29, 2016, 12:55 pm »

oh I guess to follow up I did eventually read acceptance, the third book in the southern reach trilogy

better than the second which bogs down a bit too much in extended details that all turn out to be red herrings. closer to the first book and has (within the space of a single chapter) one of the most poignant, understated, and heartbreaking human-animal friendships I've ever read. some really fantastic weird-fiction imagery and language, closes things off emotionally and narratively in a satisfying way without betraying the fundamental (and crucial) inexplicability of the premise. it's good stuff

just a few pages into between the world and me [/i]by ta-nehisi coates. it is as beautifully written, intellectually rigorous, and emotionally charged as you might expect having read anything else by coates

Johnny Roastbeef
Novice LARPer

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 29, 2016, 03:22 pm »

I just finished Palace of Treason by Jason Matthews, which is the sequel to Red Sparrow. They're both really interesting spy adventures that focus on recruiting, managing and collecting information from a mole in a foreign government.

Because freshness is expected of any hip-hop artist, I avoid using traditional techniques.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length