Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2017, 12:21 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  AV Club
| | |-+  What book(s) are you reading right fucking now
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16 Print
Author Topic: What book(s) are you reading right fucking now  (Read 53752 times)
Otis P Jivefunk
Internet Person

Beards 1 - 0 Shaving

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 12:17 pm »

Because of a uni course, I've not had any time to read stuff other than what's on the reading lists.  Thankfully, the books are mostly awesome.

Am halfway through Hydriotaphia by Thomas Browne, a strange, rambing rumination about death, the after life and immortality.  Browne has some of the most beautiful prose I have ever read, but also, frustratingly, some of the most obscure.

Q, a book by Luther Blissett (4 kooky Italians, not the former Watford player) is an historical novel set during the Anabaptists movement and the German Peasants' Revolt in the 1520s.  It's all about the Reformation and whatnot - it's cracking.

I'm also rereading Utopia for a paper I have to write.  This is a wonderful piece of early modern satire and I urge anyone who has not yet read it to do so.

OP Jivefunk c Richardson b Marshall 0
Finlander
Captain Obvious

I am become Walrus, destroyer of goo goo ga joob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 12:53 pm »

Good Omens by the dream team, Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. It is, hands-down, the most hilarious book ever. The quality of the book makes my utter contempt for all the British hard to pull off.

The Necronomicon, by Abdul Alhazred. It's really interesting, though I've had some pretty serious headaches ever since I started reading it.

Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 05:04 am by oball » Logged

20:50   soberpiano   i guess i could sort of see the distinction if i choked myself until i could no longer understand the significance of language
moose malloy
Internet Person

Bedstead Polisher

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 01:00 pm »

The Raw Shark Texts, by Steven Hall. I don't get the chance to read much but so far so good.

Good Omens by the dream team, Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. It is, hands-down, the most hilarious book ever. The quality of the book makes my utter contempt for all the British hard to pull off.

You must read the discworld series if you haven't already. Absolutely brilliant.

I am the party,
the apperatchik and the grey bureaucracy.
I am the secret police,
manufacturing a consitiuency that doesn't answer back.
Finlander
Captain Obvious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 01:14 pm »

Actually, that's how I found out about Good Omens. I haven't read enough of them, though so far I think I'm up to twelve (DEATH is my favorite). After I heard that he co-wrote something with Gaiman (I'd read a loads of Sandman, so naturally was excited), I read American Gods, since Good Omens was checked out, and loved it. They're both goddamn amazing authors.

20:50   soberpiano   i guess i could sort of see the distinction if i choked myself until i could no longer understand the significance of language
Honest Abe
Chairman, Pug Club Local 80085
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

join pug club! ask me how!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 01:16 pm »

i just got finished reading shantaram. pretty decent book, made more intriguing by the fact that it's semi-autobiographical. about to start reading a collection of orwell essays all art is propaganda
Mr Gale
Unbannable
Admin

I am Poirot

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 01:31 pm »

I just finished Winstanley's Law of Freedom, as Otis sent it to me when we were discussing Utopia over PM as a similar read (if totally different in intent) and im about to reread Utopia (probably tomorrow at work, as I have a lot of quiet time when the students are work.)

My current reads are not always determined by Otis.
stressbunny
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2010, 01:44 pm »

What's the Escoffier book like? Is it anything remotely practical for the amateur cook?

It's kind of daunting, in a way, because there is nary a need for a can opener. Everything is from scratch, pretty much. And you must understand techniques, but the recipes themselves are glorious. Escoffier wasn't so much a great chef as a great organizer who happened to be a great chef. He standardized all the classic French recipes for restaurant cooking.
When I get it back from my neighbour I'll copy out some recipes if any one is interested. But he is credited with being the inventor of the Peach Melba, so you can find that one pretty much anywhere on the 'net.

But I gather you're in NZ, Castell, what's wrong with the Edmonds Cookbook? That's a classic, too.
Finlander
Captain Obvious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2010, 01:51 pm »

You visit your neighbor, and spend that time on a computer, visiting an internet forum full of weirdos and Technohwak, telling said weirdos and Technohawk about French Cookbooks? You must be fun.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:32 pm by Finlander » Logged

stressbunny
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 02:08 pm »

Sorry?
Mr Gale
Unbannable
Admin

I am Poirot

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2010, 02:09 pm »

I think he was calling you a fag. Shank him.
stressbunny
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 02:12 pm »

He's young, and I'm sure I can find a recipe for long pork somewhere. Okay. How does one shank? Is a sharpened toothbrush necessary, or could I just use a boning knife?
RummyLu
The PUNisher
Probably a postbot

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 02:23 pm »

Boning knife, tee hee!

"Iíll retract the rape complaint from the wombat, because heís pulled out."
Finlander
Captain Obvious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2010, 02:38 pm »

Yeah, I got my long pork right here, buddy.

*points to crotch*

moose malloy
Internet Person

Bedstead Polisher

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2010, 03:10 pm »

He's giving you a target.

I've always believed a shank should be creative. Sharpen a tree branch, break the leg of a Barbie, use a frozen Lizard.

I am the party,
the apperatchik and the grey bureaucracy.
I am the secret police,
manufacturing a consitiuency that doesn't answer back.
stressbunny
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2010, 03:17 pm »

Who are you calling 'buddy', small child?

I have cocktail sausages in my freezer undoubtedly more impressive than anything you are carrying in your Superman Pull-ups.

(Is this customary? As I said, never shanked anyone. Inexperienced and all that.)
sfer
Internet Person

Hyperbole is the best thing ever

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2010, 03:33 pm »

Make sure after you stab you twist a little bit. Then after a few shankings you can try the more complex wrist maneuvers

also: just started Dune

A place to use smileys?? HOT DOG! :D :D :D
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2010, 03:41 pm »

I've been buying 100-page novellas that I can theoretically finish in a day's commute but always end up reading them in bed with a mug of Ovaltine. Beside my desk lamp are: For The Good Of The Cause by Solzhenitsyn, The Old Man And The Sea, and The Following Story by Cees Nooteboom.
Jacob
Sucks at High Fiving

hijoputa y cabrůn

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2010, 04:30 pm »

In theory I am reading Pynchon's Mason & Dixon, but I haven't picked it up for almost a month now. It's a good book, but the prose is dense and bizarre; I just haven't been in the mood for putting much effort into my pleasure reading.

My actual current book is A Moveable Feast by Hemingway. It is pretty amazing.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 04:39 pm by Jacob » Logged

please be safe out there on the internet today
Susan
Potential Friend

Lazy.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2010, 12:34 am »

I am listening to the audiobook of the appalling Twilight Eyes by Dean Koontz. I don't know why I do it to myself but I'm committed now and I have to see it through to the end. Also I quite like it even though I know it's pablum.
jamiec
Nevermind, Just Another Jerk

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2010, 03:47 am »

Right now I am about halfway through John Dies at the End by David Wong.

The copy I have (Australian Edition) has a "thank you note" to a bunch of names in the back.
I have to ask; who here made the list?

I have the same habit as Disco Stu; I will often start one book before finishing the other.  I am also part way though;

The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne by Brian Moore.

Watership Down by Richard Adams.

Lord of the Flies by William Golding.

Breath by Tim Winton.

After reading this thread I think Iíll pick up Good Omens next.  I have read the entire discworld series, and I have also read American Gods, so Iím sure Good Omens will be awesome.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length