Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2017, 04:56 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  AV Club
| | |-+  What book(s) are you reading right fucking now
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Print
Author Topic: What book(s) are you reading right fucking now  (Read 58238 times)
Kybard
society's stared-at man
Mod

HOW ARE YOU

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2010, 08:35 pm »

(you can talk about comics/graphic novels if you want)

The Big Sleep, by Raymond Chandler, is like reading an awesome '40s noir film, only a billion times better because Chandler is a fucking amazing writer. Marlowe is the greatest badass in the history of literature.

Female Chauvinist Pigs, by Ariel Levy, is a harsh critique of modern "raunch culture" and of a particular kind of feminist thought that says that co-opting male chauvinism is empowering to women. It's interesting, usually moreso when it traces back the lineage of feminist thought through the 20th century than when it tries to make sweeping claims about mainstream culture using fringe subsets of the San Francisco LBGT community.

What about you?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 06:45 pm by Kybard » Logged

but it's not so great when you consider that it's coming from an alive lady
oball
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 08:40 pm »

Mechanisms of transcriptional repression by histone lysine methylation, Hublitz et alInt. J. Dev. Biol. 53: 335-354 (2009)

BUTTS FOR THE BUTT GOD
Captain Bravo
Captain Obvious

Mercenary Prostitute

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 09:02 pm »

Finally got a copy of Danse Macabre by Steven King. Pretty good read.

I'm going to begin Duma Key when I finish it.
Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 09:15 pm »

I wish I had more damn time to read. It takes me so damn long to finish a book, I've been halfway through Shakey the Neil Young biography by Jimmy McDonough forever now. I need to finish that.

I'm reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson too. Insane book.

When I'm done I plan to start Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.
Technohawk
Spacesquatch
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 09:35 pm »

I'm reading The Sign of the Four (the second Sherlock Holmes book) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

I had finished the first book, A Study in Scarlet last week and I'm planning on going through the entire series over the next month or two.

The style of the writing is quite easy and enjoyable to read.
Fontelroy
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 09:53 pm »

Female Chauvinist Pigs
I really liked that book, I thought it was one of the more interesting feminist books out there.

At the moment I am reading American Psycho, I am of two minds about it really; on the one hand the constant listing of possessions is an interesting way of establishing the character as a materialistic dick. But on the other hand it can be so boring, just listening to him talk endlessly about designer suits can be annoying. Then the violence came, and I was wishing that he would go back to talking about Armani suits, rather than stabbing people in the eye. I am yet to form an opinion on the book.
rawrsaurus_rex
Buddy Friend Pal

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 10:33 pm »

Barnouw, Dagmar.  Germany 1945: Views of War and Violence.  Indiana University Press, 2008.

Engels, Barbara Alpern.  Mothers & Daughters: Women of the Intelligentsia in Nineteenth Century Russia.  Northwestern University Press, 2000.

Lawton, Anna and Eagle, Herbert.  Words in Revolution: Russian Futurist Manifestoes 1912-1928.  New Academia Publishing LLC., 2005.

...I'm looking forward to having some summer reading time.
Coog
Captain Obvious

Man

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 11:00 pm »

Mechanisms of transcriptional repression by histone lysine methylation, Hublitz et alInt. J. Dev. Biol. 53: 335-354 (2009)
I'm reading this right now.

Wait till you get to
Role of polycomb proteins Ring1A and Ring1Bin in the epigenetic regulation of gene expression
Miguel Vidal Int. J. Dev. Biol.: 355-370 (2009)

I don't want to spoil anything, but let's just say those protein complexes have another thing coming.

A person who has oranges only wants one thing... to survive. I know that a lot of you "who think you're too cool" probably won't re-post this. But a very little amount of my friends will. Put this in your signature in honor of someone who died of orange, survived or is fighting against it now. ♥
Disco Stu
Potential Friend

Advertises quite a bit, actually.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 12:33 am »

I am currently part way through

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

At the Gates of Darkness by Raymond E Feist

A Confederacy of Dunces by Jogn Kennedy Toole

...And Another Thing by Eoin Colfer

I have a bad habit of not finishing one book before starting on another

Castell 9000
Internet Person

Water based varnish

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 01:29 am »

Art in Theory 1648 - 1815 An Anthology of Changing Ideas Edited by Charles Harrison, Paul Wood and Jason Gaiger. It's a collection of writings on art form the 18th century, pretty cool.

Rembrandt Drawings 116 Masterpieces in Original Color This book is mostly just pictures.
spaceboy
just some guy
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 01:35 am »

Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson
sfer
Internet Person

Hyperbole is the best thing ever

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 03:32 am »

Going After Cacciato-Tim O'Brien. His books are awesome.
Also, the Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury when I decide to get sci-fi depressed instead of war-depressed.

A place to use smileys?? HOT DOG! :D :D :D
RummyLu
The PUNisher
Probably a postbot

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 04:42 am »

Russian Criminal Tattoo Encyclopedia Volume 3 Alexander Sidorov
Australian Tragic Jack Marx (My mother left this at my place when she last visited, not having anything left to read I started it. I wish she hadn't left it here.
Vanity Fair Thackery (This has become my albatross. I really enjoy it, but for some reason just never get around to finishing it. I've been at it off and on for months now.)

"Iíll retract the rape complaint from the wombat, because heís pulled out."
Hypermanic_Zen
Sucks at High Fiving

Kick like a sleep twitch

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 04:44 am »

At the Gates of Darkness by Raymond E Feist

Is that any good? I picked it up, but I've so far refused to read it, because the last couple of books have left me mournfully convinced Feist is actually dead, and the books are now being ghost written. It's an easier conclusion for me to accept.

For myself, I'm reading I, Lucifer, by Glenn Duncan.

"I, Lucifer, Fallen Angel, Prince of Darkness, Bringer of Light, Ruler of Hell, Lord of the Flies, Father of Lies, Apostate Supreme, Tempter of Mankind, Old Serpent, Prince of This World, Seducer, Accuser, Tormentor, Blasphemer, and without doubt Best Fuck in the Seen and Unseen Universe (ask Eve, that minx) have decided - oo-la-la! - to tell all."

That is my favourite opening paragraph from any book I've ever read.
CB
ASCII Middle Finger

Unregistered Hypercam 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 05:01 am »

I got a collection of H.P. Lovecraft stories, and I'm currently reading The Call of Cthulhu, and I just finished reading The Dunwich Horror.

stressbunny
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 06:03 am »

Just finished Variable Star by Robert Heinlein and Spider Robinson and I've just restarted Job: A Comedy of Justice. And Very Bad Deaths, also by Spider Robinson.  I'm hoping to get my hands on Very Bad Choices soon.
 I'm also ploughing/planning my way through  The Escoffier Cook Book : A Guide to the Fine Art of Cookery by Auguste Escoffier

Castell 9000
Internet Person

Water based varnish

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 08:11 am »

What's the Escoffier book like? Is it anything remotely practical for the amateur cook?
Karlski
ಠ_ಠ
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 09:43 am »

Australian Tragic Jack Marx (My mother left this at my place when she last visited, not having anything left to read I started it. I wish she hadn't left it here.

No good? That's a bugger.

I am reading Shadows of the Mind by Roger Penrose. It is excellent if hard going.

<TDF> Karlski only has one rule
<TDF> And that rule is "get fucked"
barco
Buddy Friend Pal

Life is a difficult process

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 10:40 am »

I've been reading Tender is the Night by F Scott Fitzgerald. It is one of the prettiest books I've ever read.

Anger at the Boner Funeral
Eponine
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 10:53 am »

I decided last week I needed to remedy the fact that I have never read The Catcher in the Rye before, so I'm almost done. I was fully expecting to think it was a completely overrated piece of nothing because I always hear that that's what people decide, but I really, really love it.

I'm also slowly making my way through Lords of Chaos which is a non-fiction book about the rise of black metal.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length