Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 04:10 am

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  AV Club
| | |-+  The Knick "When Will Clive Owen Hang Dong" Speculation Thread
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Knick "When Will Clive Owen Hang Dong" Speculation Thread  (Read 4423 times)
EFHRK
ABORTION FORESTFUCK
Hurker

I am a huddled mass

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2014, 01:48 am »

jk but rly tho

For those who don't know, this is a brand new Cinemax show directed by Steven Soderbergh, starring Clive Owen as a surgeon in the early 1900's in New York, when medical science was still developing and mortality rates were shockingly high.

FROM THIS POINT ON THERE WILL BE SPOILERS SO DON'T READ IF YOU AREN'T CAUGHT UP

Now that that's out of the way: I love this show. I am immediately hooked to see more. The acting, the Cliff Martinez score, the set design - all of it is amazing. I was actually surprised at how graphic the surgeries were. They really don't shy away from showing you everything, and given that a central topic of the show is how experimental the procedures they're doing are, it's cool you get to see them. And I like the very dark tone everything has looming over it. I don't think there was a single happy moment for that whole hour. Except for the drivers fighting over who gets the patient. That was pretty funny. I thought city workers brawling with each other was just a thing made up for Gangs of New York.

What did YOU think of it?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 05:25 am by EFHRK » Logged
boron
Mod

let me live my anime life

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 09:28 am »

i'm happy to have at least 10 more hours of soderbergh in my life. Thats assuming they wont lock him down for the entire second season as well which I dont really see happening.

but yeah so far this show is great

DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

#1 Internet Content Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 05:20 pm »

I thought it was marvelous. I'm a big time Soderbergh boy, and he was in top form tonight. I can't get that opening shot out of my mind, just Clive Owen's feet kicked up and half out of focus in that Chinatown whorehouse. Cliff Martinez's pulsating, weird electronic score kicked in and we got a killer montage of 1900 New York - seriously, the production design is out of this world. And then that opening surgery, which was shot & cut so impeccably that it was practically an action scene. The first 15 minutes alone had me hooked.

One caveat so far is that Dr. Thackery is such a standard cable TV series antihero - straight white male lothario who has his secrets and he rubs people the wrong way but dammit he gets the job done. However, Owen is really damn good in the role, and the filmmakers have done such a great job creating a solid supporting cast of characters and an amazing world set around the proceedings that the show seems like it won't have to rely on Thackery to carry it.

Pros clive owen gets liquid cocaine shot into his dick

Cons some familiar writing, hard to watch if you're squeamish, clive owen probably only gets liquid cocaine shot into his dick one time

boron
Mod

let me live my anime life

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 08:36 pm »

i'm happy to have at least 10 more hours of soderbergh in my life. Thats assuming they wont lock him down for the entire second season as well which I dont really see happening.

I was wrong. He's signed for season two. Fuck Yes.

Skeletonic
Skeletronic
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

FIGHT ME IRL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 06:45 am »

I really enjoyed the first episode. It looks great and sounds great. They make it super clear who you're supposed to like and not like in regards to certain characters, and I'm not quite sure what to make of Thackary yet but I thought Owen's performance was top. Wasn't quite expecting the whole "oh noooo negro doctor" plotline that came up but I'm interested to see where it goes. Can't wait for episode 2.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 08:29 am by Skeletonic » Logged

if loving me is wrong, everybody is right
EFHRK
ABORTION FORESTFUCK
Hurker

I am a huddled mass

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 05:52 pm »

Is anyone else still watching this shit cause its getting better and better. The characters are wonderfully mysterious and complex, and the medical stuff is shockingly gross and cool.

Despite Clive Owen's amazing performance, I think Edwards (black doctor) is easily the most interesting character so far. He's brought in as an outsider to this environment, and his struggles are somehow the same as everyone else's, yet from a completely different perspective. And his actions in the second episode, and now especially the end of the third (holy fuck the cinematography of that fight) I'm somewhat scared of what he is going to do next. I predict before the end of the season he is going to do something completely nuts that just fucks up everyone and it is going to be great. There is likely going to be even more clashing between him and Owen's character, perhaps even a challenge of authority/power. He did say they would be working together (sort of) in the next surgery. This will not end well.

Dong Watch 2014: not yet
EFHRK
ABORTION FORESTFUCK
Hurker

I am a huddled mass

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 09:33 pm »

I really hope people are still watching this show because episode 4 is probably the best one so far and a major turning point for almost every character and goddamn its SO GOOD
Joseph Nistal
Shogun
Admin

lep

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 01:57 am »

I really hope people are still watching this show because episode 4 is probably the best one so far and a major turning point for almost every character and goddamn its SO GOOD

I'm caught up to episode 3 and waiting until the weekend before watching 4. Definitely still digging this series but I'm in no rush to burn through it.

DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

#1 Internet Content Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 02:17 pm »

"Let’s take a moment to appreciate what we’re watching when we watch The Knick: the greatest sustained display of directorial virtuosity in the history of American TV, courtesy of the show’s primary and thus far only director, Steven Soderbergh."

I promised myself I wouldn't catch up until the season ended so I could burn through it, but I hear this show keeps getting better and I am very antsy

EFHRK
ABORTION FORESTFUCK
Hurker

I am a huddled mass

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 03:15 pm »

I'm still on like episode 4 I need to catch up because I saw the preview for the newest episode by accident and it looks like more and more shit is being thrown at the fan.
Chronicles
Recovering Alcoholic

Friend of the Future

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 07:41 pm »

I dunno if everyone caught this, but it's on HBO Go for a limited time. Also it is very good.

EFHRK
ABORTION FORESTFUCK
Hurker

I am a huddled mass

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 02:41 am »

lol I'm still on episode 4
Chronicles
Recovering Alcoholic

Friend of the Future

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 09:05 am »

Haha I wasn't even convinced the show was good until like episode 7

EFHRK
ABORTION FORESTFUCK
Hurker

I am a huddled mass

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 04:30 am »

Ok I restarted the show from the beginning and burned through the season in about 3 days.

I don't think I've ever been more excited for a second season of something.

Everything in this show is on point. The cinematography, the acting, the score - all of it. It starts off strong, gets even stronger, gets a little bit weaker just from the avalanche of drama, and then ends on the strongest possible note when everyone and everything is totally fucked.

Let's recap: Thackery is in rehab getting loaded up on heroin after killing a child, Barrow is trapped under the thumb of the opium den owner (who is apparently a fucking ninja), Robertson is now married just after having a secret affair and abortion, and Gallinger is stuck alone with Edwards (who is back in the habit of random street fights) after losing 2 children and committing his wife to an asylum. Oh, and the hospital is closing and moving up town.

This shit is gonna get nuts.
EFHRK
ABORTION FORESTFUCK
Hurker

I am a huddled mass

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 04:31 am »

also still no dong what up with that
codespyder
Unbanned

mmmmm

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 08:12 am »

Do you really want to see a penis riddled with needle marks?

When I was 16 I got so drunk that I shit myself in a sleeping bag.
Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 12:37 pm »

Well, one more couldn't hurt.
Skeletonic
Skeletronic
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

FIGHT ME IRL

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 01:50 pm »

I can no longer see my own penis so I have to live vicariously through the needle marked junk of other dudes

if loving me is wrong, everybody is right
EFHRK
ABORTION FORESTFUCK
Hurker

I am a huddled mass

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2015, 08:37 pm »

holy shit

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXxDK0s8hL0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXxDK0s8hL0</a>
EFHRK
ABORTION FORESTFUCK
Hurker

I am a huddled mass

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2015, 05:50 am »

Season 2 has begun

Shit is fucking crazy off the bat

Fuck I'm so excited
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length