They provide a few days rations and show where you are on the map. The capital lies about a day north. Lizard's Mound is roughly 2 days south. He also warns you that there is a group of bandits who ambush travelers a few miles north of your home, and their leader is "a total dickhole."
Here are a bunch of rolls I've stored up (and accidentally shared before realizing you guys might also not see Roll's errors and deleting them) about Roll's fun with map reading:
- Roll fails to identify they are at the wrong ruins (Terrible intelligence required, Nonexistent Knowledge, +0 Roll (-1, 1, -1; 0), -2 hubris of being the hero, Sub-nonexistent roll; Positive they are at the correct ruins)
- Roll fails to correctly read the map on the (incorrect) assumption you are at the correct ruins, and sends the group further off course
- Roll rolled a +2 for a Superb howl to scare off the Kobolds
- Helen botched (X, -, -, -; -3) and randomly hit Marsh
- Roll failed another chance to learn he was in the wrong place at the fork
- Roll fails to identify there are no longer four bandits approaching on the road
- Roll kills it with his song and dance (Beginners Luck, +3, +2, -1; +5; )[/li][/list]
Also worth noting the one time he correctly did navigate it was because he didn't try to use skill to pass the (very easy) map-making goals, but instead simply chose to be lazy and avoid having to walk to trees and the way the map was drawn that happened to be the correct way.