Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2017, 07:46 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Sanctum Sanctorum
| | |-+  Emma Czornobaj
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Poll
Question: Which is Dumber?
The Trial   -5 (26.3%)
The Defendant   -14 (73.7%)
Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Emma Czornobaj  (Read 10419 times)
Karlski
ಠ_ಠ
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 08:27 am »

is it because fuck motorcyclists with their freedom and their looking cooler than me

<TDF> Karlski only has one rule
<TDF> And that rule is "get fucked"
HyperGlavin
bridge and tunnel dyke
Probably a postbot

I'm a cool guy irl

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 08:52 am »

Could be. Could be that JRB is actually Campbell Newman.

Yes, come on, get a dog up you, you rapscallion.
Navigator2001Plus
Mr Pedanto McLiteratureProfessor
Admin

That's what she said.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2014, 11:14 am »

Under what circumstances is the operator of a vehicle not responsible to operate that vehicle in such a way as to avoid obstacles (even unexpected ones) ahead of them?

I once hit a wrecked car that was sitting sideways in the left lane of a highway at night in the rain with a semi in the middle lane kicking up even more water and I didn't see the wrecked car until it was too late. The car didn't have its hazards turned on, and I couldn't see it until the lights of the semi right beside me were on it. It was pretty damned unexpected, and all I could do was hit the brakes and watch as I slammed into the side of it.

Are you saying that was my fault? And if it is my fault, can you explain how I was reasonably supposed to be able to prepare for that situation?

To be fair, I'm not entirely blaming the driver of the other car here, because I'm sure they didn't plan on wrecking their car, and I can forgive someone bailing out of their car and in a panic forgetting to turn their hazards on, but allow me to put forth a hypothetical here: What if that person had instead deliberately parked their car in the left lane in my situation, as that woman did to save those ducklings. Whose fault would that be, JRB? I'm really interested in hearing your thoughts on this.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 11:43 am by Navigator2001Plus » Logged

<Skeletonic> nav is very important to me
<SuperCalvin> So as I was saying, navigator is handsome
Navigator2001Plus
Admin

That's what she said.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2014, 11:17 am »

Also, JRB, what if I had a sweet spy car and I swerved in front of you and dumped caltrops out of the back and your tires popped and you wrecked? Would that be your fault?

As you said:
Under what circumstances is the operator of a vehicle not responsible to operate that vehicle in such a way as to avoid obstacles (even unexpected ones) ahead of them?

jimbob
AKA Billy
Fart Robot

Chelonoidis nigra

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2014, 02:43 pm »

If you're driving in poor conditions and visibility you have a responsibility to moderate your driving to those conditions.

I don't think we have to find one party and blame them. There's definitely some responsibility for someone who hits a stationary object, but obviously there's also some responsibility for someone who leaves an object on the highway.

Truck Thunders
Fart Wizard

foquet

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2014, 02:58 pm »

The guy driving the motorcycle may have been momentarily distracted over something, but by the key eyewitness account the woman created a serious driving hazard.

“I shouted to my kids [in the car], ‘What is she doing there? She’s going to get killed,’ ” Tessier told the jury.

She testified that, moments later, she was staring down a car, completely stopped with no hazard lights on, with the door open on the driver’s side.

“It was close enough that I knew I didn’t have time to brake,” Tessier said. Instead, she swerved to get around the car. Then she looked back in her rear-view mirror and saw something else hit the vehicle.

From here.

So it sounds like the way this woman's car was parked, it was almost impossible to spot and very nearly caused two accidents instead of just one. It also sounds like the guy on the bike never even saw the parked car until the woman swerved out of the way, so he had no chance to get out of the way in time. And yeah, maybe the guy on the bike should have been driving further back for just this reason, but god damn, the car shouldn't have been sitting there to begin with.

It's also worth noting that the driving conditions were perfect, but the eyewitness woman still almost rear-ended the car.
HyperGlavin
bridge and tunnel dyke
Probably a postbot

I'm a cool guy irl

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2014, 10:47 pm »

It's also worth mentioning that road rules exist partly so that everyone drives in a predictable manner, to lessen the risk of accidents that arise through human error. Relying on individual motorists' judgement and ability to avoid obstacles for themselves does less to prevent these sorts of accidents in future than enforcing the rules.

HyperGlavin
bridge and tunnel dyke
Probably a postbot

I'm a cool guy irl

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2014, 10:50 pm »

Basically, the highway is no place for libertarians.

Captain Wacky
Sucks at High Fiving

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2014, 11:21 pm »

This whole argument is missing the most obvious culprit: the ducklings.

A gang of duck youths, lurking around a highway at night with no adult supervision seems pretty suspicious to me. There's currently no evidence that these ducks weren't high on drugs, but will the liberal media tell you that? Of course not.

As far as I can tell, these so-called ducklings weren't even called in for questioning about the incident, let alone charged with anything.

A photograph described as a dog that was burned saving a family from a house fire is actually a dog with a slice of ham on its face.
Navigator2001Plus
Admin

That's what she said.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2014, 12:03 am »

If you're driving in poor conditions and visibility you have a responsibility to moderate your driving to those conditions.

Please check out the following link:
http://www.driveandstayalive.com/info%20section/stopping-distances.htm

I mentioned being right beside a semi when the accident occurred. I'm not exactly sure from how far away I was able to see the car, but I was about halfway up the length of the semi and only saw the car when the lights of the semi were on it. Maybe 100 feet or so?

Exactly how slow do you expect people to drive at night in the rain in the highway? As indicated by the second chart for wet pavement, even if I had been going as slow as 30 mph, I still would have hit it. The car had no hazards on, no lights on of any kind. Please explain in detail how one would moderate their driving to the point where an accident such as this could have been prevented.

I don't think we have to find one party and blame them. There's definitely some responsibility for someone who hits a stationary object, but obviously there's also some responsibility for someone who leaves an object on the highway.

I am certainly glad the law does not agree with you here in all cases. The other driver in my accident whose car I hit was cited as the responsible party and his insurance paid my claim.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 12:10 am by Navigator2001Plus » Logged

yowhound
Sucks at High Fiving

Fuck, yeah

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2014, 03:11 am »

Sounds to me like you were driving to the conditions. Let's face it, you were in the passing lane, trying to get past a truck throwing massive amounts of spray onto your windshield and are still breathing after hitting a car? Either you have lightning quick reflexes, a guardian angel that deserves a bonus, or you were driving with due care for the road conditions.

On topic - the woman was a total dipshit. What sort of moron stops in the passing lane and doesn't put their hazards on, at the very least.
jimbob
AKA Billy
Fart Robot

Chelonoidis nigra

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2014, 03:50 am »

You're never going to be able to prevent all accidents with the tech we have at the moment unless you seal off the road against animals and have self-driving cars. They decided you weren't at fault, I'll take your word for it that you weren't.
You're only expected to make reasonable assumptions about the road ahead, not to be ready for anything.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length