Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2017, 11:44 am

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Games and Stuff With Wires
| | |-+  Forum Game - The Genius (Win Real Money!)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: Forum Game - The Genius (Win Real Money!)  (Read 40706 times)
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer
Killer Blob Supporter

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2014, 07:15 pm »

It’s been awhile since we had a forum game to play ‘round these parts, but I’ve been wanting to start one for awhile. After BSam got me hooked on a Korean show called The Genius, it seemed the perfect one to pick, since 1) it is amazing; 2) it is combination of logic and social elements I love to watch making it still fun to moderate for me; 3) three elements which will help with a problem of petering out some of our other forum games like GoT and Resistance have had -- player elimination, meaning anyone who loses interest will be eliminated instead of hanging about and slowing the game down; the game being played changes each round, preventing it from becoming repetitive and boring; the incentive of winning cold, hard (well, digital) cash. The only way the game seemed it could work properly to me is with actual cash on the line, since a key element in the game are “garnets” which players can spend for help in a particular match, but also which are worth prize money in the end for the winner, creating the delicate balance of whether spending money to help on the current game is worth lowering your reward for success. For our purposes, every garnet at the end will be worth $1US, payed out via paypal. The two winners in the real show pulled home prizes around ~60g, so we aren’t talking world-shattering money since I’m not rich or nothing, but hopefully enough to still make it seem fun and worth playing for while also not being anything that will be hard on me to set aside in small amounts over the course of the game. So, without further ado, the overview of the game.

The Genius Format Overview

Every round of The Genius takes place in two parts, the Main Match and the Elimination Match. Every player participates in the main match, competing to ideally win the match, or at least not be the loser. I will include the rules for what would be the first main match below this overview, just as an example of what one type of game would be, although there is a fair amount of variety with everything from solo games to team games to games with the help of players not competing for the prize.

Each main match will be timed out to take place in roughly a week, though some may be a few days shorter or longer, and at the end, one or more players will be declared winner and given a reward of garnets and immunity, while another player will be declared the loser. The losing player must then choose one other player without immunity to participate in the Elimination Match with them. These matches are a head-to-head, where the winner gets the loser’s garnets, and the loser is eliminated. Each of these matches will be a shorter game, completed in real-time at a time which works for both players. Lather, rinse, repeat until a final two is reached, at which point they compete in a best-of-three competition of Elimination Matches for the grand prize.

(click to show/hide)

There are 13 spots in the game. Ideally I'd love to fill them all since it will ensure all the games are played saving me trying to finagle with the garnet allocation, and because some of my favorite games are the higher ones. If not, however, the good thing about it being an elimination game is we can just start at the game assigned for however many players we have. As for time, obviously more time spent on chatting and plotting will help, to a point, but most games could be played with just a PM each round (and sometimes not even that will be absolutely required.)

1) BSam
2) BondFiction
3) DangerViking
4) Nicol
5) JRB
6) jimbob
7) dustbuster
8) TDF
9) du Man
10) Rev
11) Snips
12) Coxwroth
13) Joey
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:32 am by SteelFan714 » Logged
BSam
Wikipedia Nazi Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 07:30 pm »

Fighting!
DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

#1 Internet Content Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 08:30 pm »

I will play this shit, this old bullshit

Joey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 09:51 pm »

3) Joey

-joey
BSam
Wikipedia Nazi Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 02:55 am »

For anyone interested, you can watch the subtitled episodes here.
http://bxrme.tumblr.com/post/69603754319/the-genius-1-2-subbed

Also to take away any advantage that I (and possibly Nicol and anyone else who has seen it) may have from seeing some of the games before.
Jerbwyn
Dr. Internet
Potential Friend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 04:39 am »

I'll join if I can use a giftcard or something

[15:30] <Ryzhaya> this guy seems alright
Nicol
Time Vampire
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 05:24 am »

I don't know that this can be translated to text well but I love the show so I am in.

i came up in this world so cold. that's why my heart's on froze
Johnny Roastbeef
Novice LARPer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 06:46 am »

I'll play.

Because freshness is expected of any hip-hop artist, I avoid using traditional techniques.
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer
Killer Blob Supporter

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 08:17 am »

Yeah, that works, DV. Although Nicol has already won the avatar game so I'm prolly just giving him the money regardless of who wins.
BSam
Wikipedia Nazi Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 12:21 pm »

Although Nicol has already won the avatar game

"To be honest, I don't feel like seeing the night sea today, at all."
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer
Killer Blob Supporter

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 05:01 pm »

Over half the spots are filled now, so hopefully I can con six more rubes and we can get going. Also a point of clarification I had with DV, I can pay out winnings whatever way works for the winner that is doable online, and nobody is required to chip in anything for the prize pool in order to play.
dustbuster
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 10:54 pm »

I can do this I guess.
TheDarkFlame
Uselessness Personified
Fart Wizard

Go on. Touch it. You know you want to.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 12:01 am »

If it doesn't require me knowing what I'm doing, I'm in. Should be interesting.

Rolling all the ones, forever.
du_Man
Nevermind, Just Another Jerk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 12:19 am »

I am slightly baffled, and totally in.

What the hell is wrong with you people? Cashews are the worst nut.
du_Man has been banned
Nicol
Time Vampire
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 06:41 am »

I believe we can get 3 more people!

i came up in this world so cold. that's why my heart's on froze
dustbuster
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 11:19 am »

After watching a couple episodes of the show (which is pretty great), this seems ridiculously ambitious.  You're trying to organize and play about 20 consecutive forum games with people who normally wouldn't get through one.  Playing the thing in its entirety would probably take half the year.
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer
Killer Blob Supporter

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 11:46 am »

We've had problems finishing games which require the full starting hoard to play for months. In the past when we first did elimination games like Mafia and the various other variants of it, those were always seen through to completion because if somebody lost interest they quickly were weeded out. Certainly ambitious and maybe it won't work, but hopefully the money and elimination will be able to see it through, and if for some reason it isn't, since every "round" is its own contained week-long game, at least we will have played a few fun forum games.

Also, it's technically ~11 rounds of forum games, and I think if we get through 4 or 5 there's pretty good odds of getting the whole game done, since the games get shorter and easier to have come off as the numbers remaining diminish.

Anywho, still want to give a little time to try and fill those three spots, because a full game would be best. If not, 10 or so we can still have a pretty darned good run of it.

EDIT - another thing to increase the chances of completion is that most of the games are pretty easy to continue on even if somebody doesn't get their stuff in, meaning we won't have the huge delays of other games. Like, for example, in the opening Food Chain game, if a player doesn't submit a room, they just move back to their home space. In the Zombie Game a few rounds later, if you don't "touch" with somebody in the window, the rules state you automatically are turned. I think and hope this will keep the games moving and allow us to finish them.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 11:51 am by SteelFan714 » Logged
Reverend
Potential Friend

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 07:24 pm »

Player of games, me. Lemme in.
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer
Killer Blob Supporter

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 07:40 pm »

Only two more players for a full game. Failing that, one more and we can keep the first two games which are, respectively, one of the best in my opinion and the one which is responsible for putting in the biggest garnet infusion to the prize pool, and just chop out what would have been the third game. So, come on two (or at least one) more people! Sign up!
Reverend
Potential Friend

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 09:14 pm »

i volunteer coxworth and will inform him tomorrow of his mandatory participation
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length