Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 23, 2017, 07:05 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Games and Stuff With Wires
| | |-+  Hearthstone, magic the gathering for nerds who don't want to leave their house
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Hearthstone, magic the gathering for nerds who don't want to leave their house  (Read 15722 times)
FizzlePop
All yours
Fart Master

Why do we want to eat the people we love

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2014, 02:32 pm »

Hearthstone is the new Blizzard ordeal, it just got into free open beta and it is actually a really good card game. The core principles play like a very stripped down magic the gathering and the number of available cards is still pretty low. But having played an hour or 2 of it, it's actually a lot of fun.

And while it is based on a bunch of world of warcraft shit that i have no idea of what it is, the core gameplay is very easily understood and i assume that most world-of-warcraft references are just in the names of the cards and in the fact that there's crap like the murlocs.

Like most blizzard products, it is very polished and really pretty looking, simple cartoony graphics and a ton of little things that make the normal niggles of an online CCG less obvious. The simple, skill based, opponent finder, the strict time limit that makes it so you don't have to wait 5 minutes while your opponent went to take a pee or goes afk in hopes that you concede.

It has micro transactions, but they are fairly standard, a few bucks for packs of cards that you can also get by playing a bunch. And while they aren't cheap, it's about on par for most micro crimes in our micro wallets. It's free and if you like card based games with other peoples you should try it.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/
Remington Lonespear
#buttchat
Deathfat

Neil deGrasse Tyson for the motherepic shit win

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 02:49 pm »

eh

[18:30] <JonasSalk> lee was bring nerds together forever
VoodooTissue
Butt Expert
Buddy Friend Pal

KNIFE PARTY JORTS REMIX

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 08:42 pm »

It's a pretty good game. Arena mode will ruin whatever plans you had for the day.

FizzlePop
All yours
Fart Master

Why do we want to eat the people we love

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 04:08 pm »

I just did my first arena. I'm rather pleased really.

I will probably never reach this again.
Remington Lonespear
#buttchat
Deathfat

Neil deGrasse Tyson for the motherepic shit win

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 10:34 pm »

I am in this now apparently. I am Remington #1637. Friend and play me at card game

[18:30] <JonasSalk> lee was bring nerds together forever
dustbuster
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 05:40 pm »

Okay I'm playing this now too (Bradford #1805).  It's a pretty solid, if unimaginative, collectible card game.  I mostly play Arena mode, which is fantastic.
norumaru
Columns: 2, Pillars: 4,

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 03:07 am »

I got in on this yesterday, I have fuck all of cards and no idea what I am doing, and I already hate priests. My battle thing is aSaurus#2621.

Don't discriminate, you retards, racism is gay
norumaru
Columns: 2, Pillars: 4,

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 02:32 am »

the strict time limit that makes it so you don't have to wait 5 minutes while your opponent went to take a pee or goes afk in hopes that you concede.

Some people of course still manage. I've played the same person with a russian name 3 or 4 times now, and they seem to plan out their turn and then wait for the fuse to burn halfway down before they actually play it.

Beat him each time regardless.

Don't discriminate, you retards, racism is gay
Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 07:28 pm »

I am really bad at this and am Luke #11669
Johnny Roastbeef
Novice LARPer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 07:04 pm »

I decided to finally try this.  Can someone clarify that everybody is on an equal playing field for arena, in that im not limited to random cards that i own?

Because freshness is expected of any hip-hop artist, I avoid using traditional techniques.
Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 07:15 pm »

It's equal, randomized cards. I've stopped playing though.
locnar
Captain Obvious

My balls. Look.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 09:14 pm »

I have started playing this game, so it is therefore cool now, and safe to play.

Evidently no one likes a quitter
or an old punk's bitterness
So I'm waiting for a tap on the shoulder
Because we're all getting older, not better
And the laughs are no longer with us
Johnny Roastbeef
Novice LARPer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 07:20 am »

It was fun for about 2 weeks when I ran out of in-game gold and couldnt play the arena. Theres little point to playing the "regular" matches without laying down cash on cards, because the other guy will always have a better deck.

Because freshness is expected of any hip-hop artist, I avoid using traditional techniques.
VoodooTissue
Butt Expert
Buddy Friend Pal

KNIFE PARTY JORTS REMIX

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 04:18 pm »

so like every other TCG/CCG

Johnny Roastbeef
Novice LARPer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 08:12 pm »

Well, with the added caveat that you're matched against internet people rather than your own friends, and can't set friendly limits on the game to keep it fun, regardless of what you've dumped into it.

Joseph Nistal
Shogun
Admin

lep

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 03:37 pm »

I started playing this after I got back from my holiday, it's fun to practice my decks with casual matches on my laptop while I'm watching shows.

Although, it's currently 4 in the morning here and I've been playing for about 10 hours. I haven't seen a creeping addiction this bad since... WoW... Go figure.

It was fun for about 2 weeks when I ran out of in-game gold and couldnt play the arena.

I don't seem to have a problem with this (although I've only played 3-4 arenas with a best streak of 4). I just Farm each daily quest and play casuals/ranked to work up the cash I need.

Theres little point to playing the "regular" matches without laying down cash on cards, because the other guy will always have a better deck.

I can see what you mean about being concerned about decks that are just better because of the greater cards, but I still managed to finish quests in about 5-6 matches by looking up some basic build decks and tweaking them with the expert set cards I'd acquired through arena to achieve the goal of the build better. When I was sure they were viable through some practice, I took it to casuals. Rinse, repeat.

You may hit a few walls with players using expert decks, but you're bound to run into circumstances that'll allow for easier wins if you keep at it. Right now I'm playing ranked matches with a decent mage deck and getting 2-3/1 win/loss just by playing smart.

Johnny Roastbeef
Novice LARPer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 04:14 pm »

It's really that I didn't enjoy "farming" for gold to play fair matches.

Joseph Nistal
Shogun
Admin

lep

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 07:30 am »

I just did my first arena. I'm rather pleased really.

I will probably never reach this again.

Welp, I think I'm at the same stage:

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Gudamor
ಠ_ಠ
Mod

ಠ_ಠ

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 12:04 pm »

Gudamor#1563

its like they heard somebody over here was handing out asses and theyve known nothing but years of bitter ass famine
Kybard
society's stared-at man
Mod

HOW ARE YOU

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 08:41 am »

I started tentatively playing this game yesterday. it is basically magic for dummies, smartly paced and fun, but I have made some very dumb mistakes while playing because I keep forgetting the difference in the basic rules between this and magic (basically I repeatedly forget to attack, or allow myself to be attacked, because I forget that minion cards need to have taunt or whatever to actually shield the player from attack; also it doesn't occur to me sometimes that minion health damage is permanent)

anyways Kybard#1246

but it's not so great when you consider that it's coming from an alive lady
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length