Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2017, 09:04 am

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Science! and Sports
| | |-+  The NHL 2015-2016 Hockey Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21 Print
Author Topic: The NHL 2015-2016 Hockey Thread  (Read 62304 times)
Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2013, 06:41 pm »

Jarome Iginla, arguably one of the best captains to be left in the game following Lidstrom's retirement, got traded to the Penguins the other day, meaning that an already stacked group of offensive lines is even more stacked, with salary cap to spare.

As Fermun noted in the random pictures thread, both Ovechkin and Crosby took pucks to the face over the past few days. No idea how fucked Sidney'll be. He gets a lot of flak for being 'a little bitch,' but he's the best player in the league regardless of whether that's true or not. Ovechkin's had a shitty year.

And fucking Toronto is poised to make the playoffs this year, which is garbage because fuck Toronto. At least Montreal is way up there too.

Are y'all watching the hockey this season?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:44 am by fermun » Logged
Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 06:44 pm »

Also who the hell will win the Stanley Cup this year? It's pretty well a toss up with how well so many teams have been playing. Won't be Colorado, which is too bad for Fermun, and it probably won't be Carolina, which is too bad for Skeletonic.
Captain Wacky
Sucks at High Fiving

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 07:02 pm »

This belongs in the food forum.

A photograph described as a dog that was burned saving a family from a house fire is actually a dog with a slice of ham on its face.
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 08:09 pm »

In general, I like the season setup. After so long without any hockey, it's really neat having the games packed a little bit closer together without any trips off to the east coast to do games against teams I don't care about even a little bit.

Iginla is a fantastic player and it's a shame to see him leave both the Flames and the western conference as a whole. Iginla really shined in the Vancouver Olympics and supposedly the way he and Crosby meshed there was what made him want to head to the Penguins. The Penguins are going to be incredible for a few years but fuck the entire Eastern Conference.

Ovechkin's year hasn't been terrible, he's still 10th in goal scoring and 20th in points overall, but obviously that's not the kind of year a star player should be having. Steelfan's probably pretty happy with Stamkos's performance though.
locnar
Captain Obvious

My balls. Look.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 10:14 pm »

I watch hockey.  It's an exciting time to be a pens fan.

I enjoyed how Iginla trolled Boston.

Evidently no one likes a quitter
or an old punk's bitterness
So I'm waiting for a tap on the shoulder
Because we're all getting older, not better
And the laughs are no longer with us
Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 12:11 am »

I'm not a Pens fan, but am excited for Iginla's first game with them, likely as a lot of people are. I'm not even a big Crosby fan even though he's from my region. Still going to be great games to follow.

Ovie's team is doing poorly, and for someone who is touted as a top 5 player it's still kinda rough. But yeah, more so the team than him, he's still done fairly well.

Cup final predictions? A lot of people are saying Chicago - Pittsburgh, but I really think that it's up in the air.
Skeletonic
Skeletronic
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

FIGHT ME IRL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 06:40 am »

As a Hurricanes fan, it has been a shame what has gone on the last month. The team really hit a stride, and then after being plagued with injuries for a while, we really haven't been able to bounce back. One of the main problems is for some reason our illustrious GM puts way too much hope in certain players that won't be named (Joni Pitkanen) to produce where they really aren't central to the team's success.

There is a lot of potential in the Hurricanes, but they have some serious issues they still need to address in the offseason (we have a single top 2 Defenseman on the entire team in Tim Gleason and he isn't an elite level player to begin with, and it will be a few more seasons before Justin Faulk is at that level).

We have excellent scoring potential in the Staal brothers (it would be nice if Jordan would produce more...) and Semin, who is proving to be a fantastic playmaker.

But we also have some dead wood that seriously needs trimming (Chad LaRose comes to mind. Fuck off already!)

All in all, our chances of bouncing back and actually making the playoffs look pretty slim, especially with Cam Ward injured.

It'll be another hard fought battle where we're right on the cut-off line with only a few points needed to make the playoffs.

All I know is we need to address these franchise issues in the offseason and make some more big moves, and smarter moves, because with the realignment and the division the Hurricanes have landed in, we can't afford to skate by.

I don't think I'm being contradictory when I say the last few seasons the Southeast has been the worst, and weakest, division throughout the season, so it's good that it has been broken up. I think in a more competitive div. the Canes have a chance to flourish, but we'll see!

ALSO: I am a Penguins fan as well, and man, such a stacked squad. Definitely poised for a deep playoff run and a main contender for the cup, but we'll have to see if the Pens decide to choke in the first round or not!

if loving me is wrong, everybody is right
Skeletonic
Skeletronic
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

FIGHT ME IRL

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 06:46 am »

I'm not a Pens fan, but am excited for Iginla's first game with them, likely as a lot of people are. I'm not even a big Crosby fan even though he's from my region. Still going to be great games to follow.

Ovie's team is doing poorly, and for someone who is touted as a top 5 player it's still kinda rough. But yeah, more so the team than him, he's still done fairly well.

Cup final predictions? A lot of people are saying Chicago - Pittsburgh, but I really think that it's up in the air.

Chicago has absolutely dominated the West all season and I don't see that changing much post-season if they stay healthy. I think the Sharks and the Wild stand the best chance at an upset, but last season, who saw the Kings coming? It's hard to say!

As for the East... I foresee Penguins/Bruins for the conference final, and I call that as a tossup, as both teams have the depth necessary for the playoffs. Vokoun has proven himself a solid backup so the Pens should be fine so long as Fleury is healthy and Bylsma isn't afraid to rotate him out when he drops the ball.

The Bruins, loathe as I am to admit, still have one of the most slid defenses in the league and their players have a lot of grit and aren't afraid to bang bodies. A shame they're so dirty. And from Boston. Gross, Boston.

You can't count out New Jersey. They lose a key player in Kovalchuck but you can't, and shouldn't, count them out as long as Brodeur is in net.

As to Jarome Iginla, he deserves to be with a competitive club, he deserves another chance at the cup, and that wasn't going to happen with Calgary. I'm happy for him and I'm glad to see him in the East!

codespyder
Unbanned

mmmmm

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 07:07 pm »

And fucking Toronto is poised to make the playoffs this year, which is garbage because fuck Toronto. At least Montreal is way up there too.

No no no. Fuck Montreal. And Ottawa too. How are they 5th with a bunch of scrubs from the AHL? I call shenanigans. 

I'm definitely excited that us Leafs might make the playoffs, although I'm still waiting for the final meltdown where we wind up 9th on a tie-breaker, or some shit like that. We may even get pretty far in the playoffs because LUPUL. (This is also based on the assumption that Kadri keeps his ego in check, JVR finally remembers how he managed to score goals earlier in the season, and Reimer doesn't take anymore Gionta-induced concussions.) Having said that, I'll be very pleased if we don't get swept in the first round. Most I can ask for as a Leafs fan.

Chicago is strong but I just get the feeling they can't sustain the momentum needed to go all the way this year. The Ducks haven't got the same publicity as them, but they've been quietly brilliant and could win it.

I think the Pens will win it because the depth is so tremendous, and if Crosby makes it back in time before the end of the playoffs, they'll be very tough to beat.

When I was 16 I got so drunk that I shit myself in a sleeping bag.
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer
Contextually Post-black Pop-star Rapper

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 01:20 pm »

Cory Conacher?!?!?!?!?!

:(
Skeletonic
Skeletronic
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

FIGHT ME IRL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 06:28 pm »

Hey SteelFan as a lightning fan maybe you can explain this to me:

Lightning places Adam Hall on waivers.

Carolina picks up Adam Hall.

Carolina trades Adam Hall to Lightning for a vet D-man (Bergeron) and a draft pick...

Lightning place Adam Hall on waivers.

Philly picks up Adam Hall on waivers.

What the fuck?

SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer
Contextually Post-black Pop-star Rapper

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 09:35 pm »

Playoff push in Syracuse, bro. You gotta take any risk you can to win that.
Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 11:04 am »

I retract my statements about Ovie slouching.
codespyder
Unbanned

mmmmm

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 11:25 am »

I think he heard you. And now he's coming to getcha.

fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 03:04 pm »

I retract my statements about Ovie slouching.

Ovie's comin' for you! I saw that hat trick this weekend, pretty nice. The thing is that Ovie was leading the league in shots when you had said he was slouching, he just had about 1% lower scoring rate than he normally has.
Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 03:26 pm »

Yeah I'm an idiot and wasn't paying attention. Anyways. A Japanese guy who lived in my building moved home this morning. He came to Canada exclusively to play hockey and to experience Canadian culture. He was a huge Ovechkin fan. I was sad.

Chicago and the Pens have clinched playoff spots. I'd be alright with that final, but I'm really praying Montreal will go the distance this year.
codespyder
Unbanned

mmmmm

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 10:07 pm »

The Maple Leafs have made the playoffs for the first time in nine years. In that time, I've finished junior high, high school, and university. That feels very very odd.

Doubt it will happen with the way things are shaping up, but I hope we face Ottawa or Montreal in the first round. We really seem to love rubbing it into the faces of other Canadian teams, for some reason.

Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 11:22 am »

I would love a habs-leafs series. but there is a chance I would have to experience heartbreak if the Habs can't turn their play around. Hasn't been great of recent.
Skeletonic
Skeletronic
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

FIGHT ME IRL

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 02:02 pm »

hurricanes suck, time for a front office do-over. Rutherford needs to go, and after two half seasons I'm just not sold on Muller. I feel like maybe give him a chance... A whole season, in a new division, we'll see.

The problem is, defense, and then also, defense, and then also paying players that sucks lots of money (especially if they play defense, and are named Joni Pitkanen)

Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 05:23 pm »

At least Eric Staal was pretty dope this season.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length