Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2017, 02:55 am

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Sanctum Sanctorum
| | |-+  Rape Culture
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 Print
Author Topic: Rape Culture  (Read 45363 times)
Commodore 64
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 11, 2013, 05:19 pm »

Sorry, I see that my first question has already been answered in detail. It's times like this I wish I'd taken the time to learn to read.
jimbob
AKA Billy
Book Smart

Chelonoidis nigra

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 19, 2013, 08:45 pm »

Reminded of this

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApOFiuxiU_g" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApOFiuxiU_g</a>

Danny G
Fart Master

Workplace Sex Criminal

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 19, 2013, 09:40 am »

This is probably old news, but I'm just now seeing it...

Anyway... Serena Williams: Awful Person

Logjammin'
Remington Lonespear
#buttchat
Deathfat

Neil deGrasse Tyson for the motherepic shit win

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: June 19, 2013, 11:07 am »

FUCK SERENA WILLIAMS HOLY SHIT

[18:30] <JonasSalk> lee was bring nerds together forever
Karlski
ಠ_ಠ
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 19, 2013, 05:34 pm »

I don't really have anything to add other than man, I really wish that people who play multiplayer games would get another metaphor. So sick of winning a game of World of Tanks and seeing some moron saying "gang rape" over and over in the chat window

it's like, geez, stop being twelve

<TDF> Karlski only has one rule
<TDF> And that rule is "get fucked"
thermus aquaticus
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 20, 2013, 12:54 am »

This doesn't have anything to do with any topic at hand, but the word "twelve" reminds me of it. In tech school, our class would often run in formation with cadence. Our class NCO, let's call him Barry, had these super annoying songs along the lines of, "I wish all the ladies / were pies on the shelf / and I was the baker / I'd eat 'em all myself."

One day I'm calling cadence. I usually made up stupid ones on the spot, (or had you guys to write them for me), but this one I'd planned. That's how annoyed I was. I'd been up all night thinking about Barry's "all the ladies" songs, just going "errrgh", scribbling notes furiously. So I call, "I wish all the ladies / were pies on the shelf / and I was Barry / I'd kill myself / These songs are funny / maybe if you're twelve."

He didn't call them as often after that. I won a victory for comedy.

Wooer et ass, 2013
Metsfan
Book Smart

I like to get intimate with inanimate inmates.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: September 19, 2013, 09:01 am »

Cracked article about rape culture. What.

Won't somebody think of the nerds?
Navigator2001Plus
Richard "Dick" "The Dickman" Dongman, professional dong-man
Admin

That's what she said.

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 19, 2013, 12:15 pm »

So I guess Wong now has to ban everyone involved in writing the article, right? Since as he's said, rape culture isn't a real thing and talking about it is banworthy?

<Skeletonic> nav is very important to me
<SuperCalvin> So as I was saying, navigator is handsome
Metsfan
Book Smart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: September 19, 2013, 03:33 pm »

No see, it was about video games. The comedy world was untouched so it's okay to exist there. If someone is making a joke you should just laugh at it instead of being critical because god forbid if jokes are criticized.

Metsfan
Book Smart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: September 19, 2013, 03:44 pm »

And to be totally clear here, this was a bannable post

This is how Wong feels about rape culture

Come on, guys, let's not get sucked into this tumblr "invent shit to get offended by" bullshit. There are real problems in the world.

EDIT: If you use real rape victims as a club to bash web comics or comedians you don't like, YOU are the asshole. Go donate to a women's shelter, or do something else that will actually have an impact. Using rape as a tool to win petty internet arguments is evil.

This is cracked's latest article

Rape culture" is the normalization of sexual violence against women, treating it like something that just happens and blaming or shaming the victims. You see it in the news: If you can replace "rape" with "rain" and the story still works, that's rape culture. Was the woman wearing too little? Out too late? Would she have been fine if she'd stayed at home reading a nice book on etiquette for ladies? When a story focuses on anything the victim was doing (look for words like "party girl") instead of how the rapist was raping, that's rape culture. If victims truly justified crimes against them based on where they were, what they were wearing, and what they were showing off, the entire country would...

Citizen Snips
♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖ ♙♙♙♙♙♙♙♙ ♟♟♟♟♟♟♟♟ ♜♞♝♛♚♝♞♜
Probably a postbot

Der Zorn Gottes

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 19, 2013, 03:55 pm »

This is how Wong feels about rape victims who were raped because of "what they were wearing":

Quote from: David Wong
If you walk barefoot in my yard, I'll probably tell you to put shoes on, because there is broken glass in the yard, because sometimes passing cars chuck beer bottles out.

Bettytron
Fart Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 19, 2013, 04:24 pm »

More good quotes!
From now on, accusing members of promoting "rape culture" will get you banned. That's such a ridiculous bullshit thing to say. You know it's bullshit, we know it's bullshit, and you're using other women getting raped as a cheap debate tool to shut up anyone who insults a woman.

I'm sure somewhere there's a forum full of people amazingly stupid enough to fall for that bullshit, but thankfully it isn't this one.
http://www.cracked.com/forums/index.php?topic=16633.msg2032069#msg2032069

And

Quote from: Bettytron on August 28, 2011, 04:32 PM

(and, he's assuming, in the eyes of his audience [whom he clearly misjudged]).

Watch the video. The audience stopped his story multiple times to roar with laughter. He was playing up the story to make himself sound like a creepy loser ("She turned out to be stronger than me").

He's like the walking embodiment of rape culture

Come on, don't get silly. If there is such a thing as a "rape culture" (in which case I guess we also have a murder culture, and a theft culture, and a burglary culture, and a fraud culture) I don't think it involves guys getting pinned down by stronger women who then have sex with them. Going to the opposite crazy extreme doesn't do anybody any good. Overreacting to the small stuff makes people not listen when the big stuff comes along.
http://www.cracked.com/forums/index.php?topic=92262.msg1993436#msg1993436#ixzz2fNNWK4cP

Metsfan
Book Smart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: September 19, 2013, 04:46 pm »

Don't be silly, Betty. Unless it's about rape.

the only reason the rape stuff entered into it is because the guys on the stage were playing it up for the comedy angle,

Because seriously fuck that ego driven thought.

Truck Thunders
Fart Wizard

foquet

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 19, 2013, 05:39 pm »

This is how Wong feels about rape victims who were raped because of "what they were wearing":

If you walk barefoot in my yard, I'll probably tell you to put shoes on, because there is broken glass in the yard, because sometimes passing cars chuck beer bottles out.

I like that even in his own analogy, people only get hurt because Wong is too much of a lazy asshole to clean the broken glass out of his yard and make it safe for other people.  "Fix the problem?  Screw that -- blame the victim!"
Truck Thunders
Fart Wizard

foquet

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 19, 2013, 05:42 pm »

wait, no, not love, the other thing

vomit
Not A Spatula
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 19, 2013, 10:56 pm »

More good quotes!
From now on, accusing members of promoting "rape culture" will get you banned. That's such a ridiculous bullshit thing to say. You know it's bullshit, we know it's bullshit, and you're using other women getting raped as a cheap debate tool to shut up anyone who insults a woman.

I'm sure somewhere there's a forum full of people amazingly stupid enough to fall for that bullshit, but thankfully it isn't this one.

I know his name is synonymous with level-headedness and honesty, but for anyone who missed it at the time this surprisingly never happened! I actually made a point that a lot of the posters there seemed way too focused on putting down victims of police brutality because they weren’t likeable enough, they fussed too much afterwards, they could have possibly been dangerous (even though they weren’t), and other non-points in stark contrast to the continued apologia every cop in that thread was receiving. I then implied the direction of the discussion could stem from some of the same social mechanics in place that helped contribute to rape culture.

Because I used that taboo phrase and voiced an opinion pretty vehemently opposed to Dave’s earlier assertion that every police brutality story ever has been taken out of context, he reinterpreted my argument as a radicalized non sequitur he could dismiss while maintaining the thread's illusion that only self-important wackos get uncomfortable when innocent people are clubbed or pepper sprayed or tasered or shot unprovoked.
Matt
Fart Wizard

Quoth the raven, `Hmmm.'

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 20, 2013, 01:26 am »

After reading this and having a gander at the comments I've decided that there is definitively no hope for the human race. Anyone want to help me build a doomsday device?

Citizen Snips
Probably a postbot

Der Zorn Gottes

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 20, 2013, 07:13 am »

It already exists, it's called humanity.

Citizen Snips
Probably a postbot

Der Zorn Gottes

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 20, 2013, 07:13 am »

*bong noises*

StumpNasty

can't burg

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 20, 2013, 07:26 am »

What the fuck

i fuck like T.T. Boy you don't know what i do
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length