Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2017, 04:01 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Spaceboy asks stupid questions and you answer them!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Spaceboy asks stupid questions and you answer them!  (Read 16744 times)
spaceboy
just some guy
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2010, 11:16 pm »

QUESTION:
What is a poof? I gather it is British slang for something derogatory. Mr. Gale is apparently one.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 08:13 am by spaceboy » Logged
oball
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 11:18 pm »

It is slang for someone born in the North of the country, or "Past Old OxFord." 

It is derogatory because people from the North are subhuman and barely better than beasts.

BUTTS FOR THE BUTT GOD
Illiterati
sex fucker
Deathfat

ʕノᴥʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 11:22 pm »

It is a magazine for magicians.

8====D~~~~~~~~~~(( |
spaceboy
just some guy
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 11:26 pm »

It is slang for someone born in the North of the country, or "Past Old OxFord." 

It is derogatory because people from the North are subhuman and barely better than beasts.

ANSWERED
spaceboy
just some guy
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 11:31 pm »

QUESTION:
Is styrofoam recyclable? Some chick came to my door peddling eco-crap about banning styrofoam and wanted me to sign a treaty or something. I said I always put my styrofoam in the recycling bin because it had this on it:

And she told me that only displays what type of plastic it is, not that it is actually recyclable.  What gives? Is mother earth dying at my hands unbeknownst to me?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 08:13 am by spaceboy » Logged
MechaSpider
Internet Person

Snacks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 12:00 am »

Styrofoam can be recycled, but its too expensive for anyone to bother doing it. However, it can be reused as a flotation device. I would recommend saving all of your styrofoam until you have enough to construct a private island in Dubai.

Or you could build a house:
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/12/home-dome-repurpose.php
spaceboy
just some guy
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 12:51 am »

Styrofoam can be recycled, but its too expensive for anyone to bother doing it. However, it can be reused as a flotation device. I would recommend saving all of your styrofoam until you have enough to construct a private island in Dubai.

Or you could build a house:
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/12/home-dome-repurpose.php

ANSWERED
spermus
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 02:08 am »

Hey. What's the damage styrofoam does to the environment anyway?

That was not the bear I was expecting in a gay blowjob.
DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

#1 Internet Content Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 02:19 am »

I haven't stopped burning mine long enough to ask.

spaceboy
just some guy
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 08:12 am »

Hey. What's the damage styrofoam does to the environment anyway?

Apparently it takes billions of years to decompose, and it floats around in the ocean until then. I guess there is an island of styrofoam off the coast of San Francisco right now. But Marines hate San Francisco anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Think about it though, you could get all the floating styro-islands together and create a styrofoam-based theme park!!
spaceboy
just some guy
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 08:14 am »

QUESTION:
If ad-blocking software is the same thing as stealing, and stealing is illegal, why haven't I seen any discussion about making the construction and usage of ad-blocking software a crime?
Tim
Potential Friend

You like Tim

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 08:35 am »

QUESTION:
Is styrofoam recyclable? Some chick came to my door peddling eco-crap about banning styrofoam and wanted me to sign a treaty or something. I said I always put my styrofoam in the recycling bin because it had this on it:

And she told me that only displays what type of plastic it is, not that it is actually recyclable.  What gives? Is mother earth dying at my hands unbeknownst to me?

The symbol means it's made of polystyrene which is recyclable. I believe it is the process of turning the polystyrene into a foam that is especially damaging. And then the foam is a bitch to do anything with.
Fiction
I'M GONE STING
Posthulhu

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 08:49 am »

QUESTION:
If ad-blocking software is the same thing as stealing, and stealing is illegal, why haven't I seen any discussion about making the construction and usage of ad-blocking software a crime?

It really isn't. Just because you go to a person's website doesn't mean you HAVE to look at their ads. It's just bad for their business.
spaceboy
just some guy
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 08:55 am »

I'm not so sure about that. If I created a device that attaches to your TV and completely blanked out all commercials, then I sold that device to thousands of TV-watchers, I'm certain I would get sued.

What's the difference?
HyperGlavin
bridge and tunnel dyke
Probably a postbot

I'm a cool guy irl

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 09:14 am »

You'd get sued for inventing TiVo?

Yes, come on, get a dog up you, you rapscallion.
MadPiper6
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 09:17 am »

Well yeah, it's copyrighted.
spaceboy
just some guy
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 09:19 am »

You'd get sued for inventing TiVo?

Of course not. I'm defining the equivilent of ad-blocking software for television, which would be something that only showed a black screen with no sound during any time commercials would play on TV. It would also blank out advertisements on the walls of arenas at sporting events, etc. That is not what Tivo does, although I can see your argument.

The main goal of ad-blocking software is to block ads on the internet. If I created something that did exactly the same thing for television, I do believe I would get sued.

What I would really like to see is evidence that this discussion has taken place at a legitimately high level in some government or corporate body. I can't believe that people haven't already attempted to outlaw ad-blocking software.
Mr Gale
Unbannable
Admin

I am Poirot

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 03:11 pm »

You see, tivo does exist and allows you to block (or skip) ads. And theres no legal problems there. Your analogy of a machine that just blanks out ads doesnt make much sense as tvs already have that option, its called changing the channel or muting the tv, the reason why the legal problems of a tv ad blocking machine havent come up is that its a ridiculous invention that nobody would buy.

The second analogy, a device that blanks out ads in a football ground would be a better fit to what you're saying and that device is impossible, so hard to argue legality.

Im sure illegality of adblockers hasnt become an issue because the internet itselfs nature under law is such a hotbutton issue, the notion of net neutrality and every country trying to police something which cant be controlled without some serious fascism (see china and australia.) Also adblocking can be a security concern, ads on the internet can be malicious. The best solution would seem to be websites finding a way to block content for users using adblocks, who can then decide if they trust the website. But that would require some sort of standardised microsoft adblocker and the internet being the internet people would just ignore it. Im sure people are still much more concerned about filesharing as an internet legal concern than the rather marginal issue of adblocking.

You arent obliged to watch tv adverts, you dont enter a contract to do so when you buy a television. The same is true of the internet, for now.
spaceboy
just some guy
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 04:50 pm »

You see, tivo does exist and allows you to block (or skip) ads. And theres no legal problems there. Your analogy of a machine that just blanks out ads doesnt make much sense as tvs already have that option, its called changing the channel or muting the tv, the reason why the legal problems of a tv ad blocking machine havent come up is that its a ridiculous invention that nobody would buy.

The second analogy, a device that blanks out ads in a football ground would be a better fit to what you're saying and that device is impossible, so hard to argue legality.

Im sure illegality of adblockers hasnt become an issue because the internet itselfs nature under law is such a hotbutton issue, the notion of net neutrality and every country trying to police something which cant be controlled without some serious fascism (see china and australia.) Also adblocking can be a security concern, ads on the internet can be malicious. The best solution would seem to be websites finding a way to block content for users using adblocks, who can then decide if they trust the website. But that would require some sort of standardised microsoft adblocker and the internet being the internet people would just ignore it. Im sure people are still much more concerned about filesharing as an internet legal concern than the rather marginal issue of adblocking.

You arent obliged to watch tv adverts, you dont enter a contract to do so when you buy a television. The same is true of the internet, for now.

WHATEVER
Honest Abe
Chairman, Pug Club Local 80085
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

join pug club! ask me how!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 05:27 pm »

in the beginning, tivo actually didn't just skip commercials, it skipped over them without you having to pay attention and click play again. it essentially deleted them. they got strong armed into changing it to a "fast forward" type thing.

mythtv has the ability to outright remove commercials.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length