Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 16, 2017, 01:48 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  AV Club
| | |-+  TODAY I WATCHED...
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 Print
Author Topic: TODAY I WATCHED...  (Read 293238 times)
du_Man
Nevermind, Just Another Jerk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1840 on: July 07, 2017, 04:39 pm »

also the god-out-of-water stuff was funnier in THOR to me because Hemsworth has better comedic chops.

This is true, but it was also the one thing saving the flopping, dying fish of a middle act. (I liked Thor, but Hemsworth really had to carry that midsection single-handed)

Comparing the action to BVS, though... the action in BVS looked expensive, but it was never involving. In fact, outside of the warehouse fight (which was admittedly well done) and the cool-looking but pointless dream sequence, the action was pretty generic beneath the extreme burnt-orange-and-black color scheme. There's not really any story going on in them, they're just random punching and explosions until whatever anticlimactic finish they build to. And it's utterly undermined by the awful, stupid protagonists. Points for weirdness, but weirdness alone does not competent storytelling make. Batman & Robin is ten times as brazen, weird, and memorable as that dull, endless slog.

Whereas I actually cared about the action in WW.

I have been meaning to get to xXx iIi, though. That sucker sounds wacky as hell.

What the hell is wrong with you people? Cashews are the worst nut.
du_Man has been banned
DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

#1 Internet Content Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: July 07, 2017, 06:47 pm »

which brings me to my next point: folks, Schumacher's BATMAN films are underrated,

du_Man
Nevermind, Just Another Jerk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1842 on: July 08, 2017, 10:17 am »

I actually won't argue with you on that.

What the hell is wrong with you people? Cashews are the worst nut.
du_Man has been banned
DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: July 16, 2017, 10:08 pm »

THE BIG SICK is funny and cute. It's the same as every Apatow production but it's also got a great 9/11 joke + Ray Romano & Holly Hunter as hashtag goals. this one, i give a thumbs up

Navigator2001Plus
Richard "Dick" "The Dickman" Dongman, professional dong-man
Admin

That's what she said.

View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: July 24, 2017, 04:26 am »

Today I saw Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. More like Boredom and the City of a Thousand Visually Stunning Set-pieces But Not Much Else! I wish I liked it, and I wanted to like it, but this is no The Fifth Element. Warning: Mild spoilers to follow, but who cares, this film isn't very good.

To start with, Dane DeHaan (Valerian) and Cara Delevingne (Laureline) are boring as the film's two leads. There's no charisma and no chemistry between them. At no point does the film manage to make you care about either of them. Replace them with cardboard cutouts, and you wouldn't be losing any amount of emotional resonance. I mentally vomited in my brain-mouth when he asked her to marry him only minutes into the story.

The film also has issues with pacing. For 90% of it, information and clues about what's really going on are spread razor thin, and then right at the end you get a huge infodump from some aliens that explain what's going on. Which wouldn't be as bad if the film didn't waste time with pointless filler that exists only to look cool and pad out the run-time.

At one point, there are back to back sequences where Valerian and then Laureline are in peril, and the other has to save them, but first, they each have to put a jellyfish on their head. I may be grossly oversimplifying there, but that's literally what happens. The worst part is that Valerian puts the jellyfish on his head in order to avoid a diplomatic incident, but ends up scalping an alien king and killing all his bodyguards anyway. But hey, at least before that happened he got to watch Rihanna (jellyfish #2) do a striptease while Laureline was in imminent mortal danger.

Other random bad things: This film has not one, but TWO MacGuffins. There's a sequence where Valerian busts through an outer wall of a structure and starts to fall, but that structure is the space station city and he's now in open space so he should just be floating there. There's a character that comes into the story to do literally one thing and then gets killed immediately after, and there's a heartfelt scene where we're supposed to care but don't. At the end of the movie, the bad guy gets knocked the fuck out inside a tiny spaceship that's inside a giant spaceship, but after the giant ship blasts off, somehow the bad guy is left behind for the authorities to deal with, hanging from the ceiling DOWN INTO the area the giant ship previously occupied, tied up in some dangling wires or something. Also, Valerian suddenly turns into a by-the-books douchebag at the end just so there can be a little conflict between him and Laureline, after which he changes his mind and decides to do the right thing.

The only thing this film really has going for it is some very amazing looking and creative set-pieces. The opening montage that establishes the film's universe (set to David Bowie's Space Oddity) is very cool, and the first big action sequence is one of the most creative things I've seen in any sci-fi film. It's everything else that drags it down. Overall, I feel like this film is a 2/5, but I'll bump it up to 2.5/5 just for looking so fucking cool. Honestly, it's not quite bad enough to hate. It's just kind of bland and boring when it comes to the story and characters. I recommend skipping it, at least in theaters. Might be worth it if it comes to Netflix just for the visuals.

And it's too bad. Recast the leads, trim some of the fat (or give more compelling reasons for some of the later set-pieces to exist), and you'd really have something here. And oh yeah, don't have Valerian's body be inhabited by a time-traveling alien ghost.

<Skeletonic> nav is very important to me
<SuperCalvin> So as I was saying, navigator is handsome
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: July 24, 2017, 05:48 am »

Today I watched Wonder Woman!

Actually I watched it two weeks ago but I instantly forgot I'd seen it.

An important cultural artifact for opening the Aeon of Ma'at maybe, but a flat, lame movie.
Remington Lonespear
#buttchat
Deathfat

Neil deGrasse Tyson for the motherepic shit win

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1846 on: August 01, 2017, 05:39 pm »

The new Apes movie is really good. Best in the series. The whole trilogy is maybe the best overall film trilogy in recent memory. I guess what I'm saying is I really like those Ape movies.

[18:30] <JonasSalk> lee was bring nerds together forever
DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: August 03, 2017, 02:39 am »

the best film trilogy in recent memory for me is Fast Five-Fast & Furious 6-Furious Seven

DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: August 03, 2017, 02:41 am »

WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES was real good it made me cry like 2 or 3 times. i just watched the whole series recently and my favorite is maybe CONQUEST where Roddy Mcdowall goes off as o.g Caesar

Mr Gale
Unbannable
Admin

I am Poirot

View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: August 19, 2017, 08:02 am »

Defenders - a criminal lack of Collen Wing.
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: August 20, 2017, 07:30 am »

I don't see why we needed the Iron Fist character to be an immortal kung fu warrior AND a billionaire AND a McGuffin AND an unlikeable douche when he was totally peripheral to the entire plot and could have easily been replaced with a glowing jewel or a big rusty old key
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: August 20, 2017, 07:34 am »

Also Elektra and The Hand are lame as fuck and suck any tension or excitement out of every scene any of them are in, which is 70% of this show
evilspud
Street Smart

View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: August 24, 2017, 11:28 pm »

I just got back from seeing BABY DRIVER

It's a freaking blast.  Everyone in it is great.  I give it all the drum solos and the flute solo out of Hocus Pocus by Focus.

C'mon stop being a dick just screenshot the best bits for us.
Citizen Snips
♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖ ♙♙♙♙♙♙♙♙ ♟♟♟♟♟♟♟♟ ♜♞♝♛♚♝♞♜
Probably a postbot

Der Zorn Gottes

View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: August 29, 2017, 06:20 pm »

Navigator2001Plus
Admin

That's what she said.

View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: August 30, 2017, 01:41 am »

fuck anthony bourdain

laktose
Unbanned

SLAM DRUNK

View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: September 01, 2017, 03:02 pm »

The same episodes of Sunny I'm always watching. Pondy's the coolest.

i love too laugh with, my pals on this web sight
Kybard
society's stared-at man
Mod

HOW ARE YOU

View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: October 08, 2017, 07:21 am »

Blade Runner 2049

Roger Deakins should cinema all of the tographies

this movie definitely had some issues but it's gorgeous and moving and probably better than every non Rutger Hauer portion of the original

but it's not so great when you consider that it's coming from an alive lady
Navigator2001Plus
Admin

That's what she said.

View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: October 10, 2017, 01:46 am »

Yeah, Blade Runner 2049 was great. I was skeptical when I first heard they were doing a sequel way back, but this movie really feels like it's earned its right to exist.

DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: October 14, 2017, 03:40 am »

BRAWL IN CELL BLOCK 99

WATCH IT

Mr Gale
Unbannable
Admin

I am Poirot

View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: October 26, 2017, 07:46 am »

Thor 3 is pretty great, replace plots and character growth with none stop jokes and wacky events is a solid fit for the Thoriverse. Like guardians wacky space hijinx meets spidermans comedy over action approach, take out anything approaching character arcs, got gold.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length