Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2017, 04:55 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  AV Club
| | |-+  TODAY I WATCHED...
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 Print
Author Topic: TODAY I WATCHED...  (Read 267726 times)
evilspud
Street Smart

View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: January 29, 2017, 08:55 pm »

Watch the episodes Preboot/Reboot, Two Swords, and Do No Harm, and you should be okay.

C'mon stop being a dick just screenshot the best bits for us.
evilspud
Street Smart

View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: January 29, 2017, 10:13 pm »

And I thought it was better than Stakes.

Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: February 21, 2017, 08:40 pm »

John Wick 2 was great, but I still think I prefer the first out of the two.

The scene in the art gallery reminded me of of the intro to The Man With The Golden Gun a little bit, but that's a pretty common trope now.
Citizen Snips
♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖ ♙♙♙♙♙♙♙♙ ♟♟♟♟♟♟♟♟ ♜♞♝♛♚♝♞♜
Probably a postbot

Der Zorn Gottes

View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: February 23, 2017, 03:05 am »

http://goldeneye.wikia.com/wiki/The_Man_with_the_Golden_Gun

???

Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: February 23, 2017, 11:39 am »

I more meant the wacky hall of mirrors art exhibit but I guess that works too.
laktose
Unbanned

SLAM DRUNK

View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: February 25, 2017, 04:48 am »

The hall of mirrors was cool as hell and he murdered so many dudes, I really liked John Wick 2.

i love too laugh with, my pals on this web sight
Navigator2001Plus
Richard "Dick" "The Dickman" Dongman, professional dong-man
Admin

That's what she said.

View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: February 26, 2017, 11:37 pm »

Get Out is really good! Go see it!

John Wick 2 is also good! See that too!

<Skeletonic> nav is very important to me
<SuperCalvin> So as I was saying, navigator is handsome
evilspud
Street Smart

View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: March 11, 2017, 11:37 pm »

Got to get back.  Back to the past.  Samurai Jack.

(Season 5 premiere is great)

Navigator2001Plus
Admin

That's what she said.

View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: April 22, 2017, 05:09 am »

i watched sausage party on netflix and it's fucking trash.

i thought there had to be more to it than food being ethnic stereotypes and saying "fuck" but i was wrong. i don't understand how this movie had so many good reviews. 83% on RT, seriously? the best i can say for it is that it's not literally the worst movie i've ever seen.

the only time i chuckled was at the start when the food was saying "fuck" every three seconds and i laughed thinking about what some of you had said about the only "jokes" being the food saying "fuck", but i don't think that counts. i don't think i laughed or smiled the entire rest of it.

the part where i knew for sure the movie wasn't going to get any better was near the beginning when some german food product was talking about exterminating the juice. GET IT? JUICE SOUNDS LIKE JEWS! i'll wait if you need a minute.

i give it a 1.00000000001/5

HyperGlavin
bridge and tunnel dyke
Probably a postbot

I'm a cool guy irl

View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: April 23, 2017, 12:31 am »

Rotten tomatoes is a bad website.

Yes, come on, get a dog up you, you rapscallion.
evilspud
Street Smart

View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: April 24, 2017, 06:42 am »

Adventure Time has another new miniseries out called Elements and it's pretty good, but not as good as Islands or Stakes.  Lumpy Space Princess is pretty great in it, though.

I laughed pretty hard when
(click to show/hide)

DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

#1 Internet Content Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: April 29, 2017, 03:48 am »

to me MAGIC MIKE XXL is maybe the greatest film of the past decade

evilspud
Street Smart

View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: April 29, 2017, 06:31 pm »

It happened a month ago but I would just like to say that the three episode third season of Review was the greatest thing to happen in the history of television, and Andy Daly has more than earned his place as a national treasure.

Navigator2001Plus
Admin

That's what she said.

View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: May 14, 2017, 10:52 pm »

Finished Iron Fist on Netflix. Aside from some of the fight scenes looking a little janky, it's really not too bad.

laktose
Unbanned

SLAM DRUNK

View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: May 16, 2017, 02:33 am »

the part where i knew for sure the movie wasn't going to get any better was near the beginning when some german food product was talking about exterminating the juice. GET IT? JUICE SOUNDS LIKE JEWS! i'll wait if you need a minute.
Finally got it! Thanks for waiting!

i love too laugh with, my pals on this web sight
du_Man
Nevermind, Just Another Jerk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1835 on: June 08, 2017, 12:08 pm »

Wonder Woman was awesome.

It's far from flawless, but like Donner’s Superman, it absolutely nails the main character, the love story, most of the set-pieces, and, above all, the heart, and so gets away with all manner of flaws that could have taken down most movies. (the first act, in particular, is pretty rough, but it pretty much all comes together as soon as Steve Trevor shows up) Gal Gadot is just perfect -- her physicality perfectly conveys the power of this demigoddess, but she also conveys her complexity, her naivette, her femininity, her passion and her compassion. And Chris Pine is absolutely wonderful as Steve.

The romance between Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor is honestly the best love story in a superhero film outside of Donner’s Superman. Not that those are usually the strong point, but they did a phenomenal job with it.

The fight scenes are largely done in Zach Snyder’s style, but Patty Jenkins does it so much better than he does. The slow-motion bits are used to show off the grace and precision of Diana or the other amazons (something Snyder does), but it’s not overdone. Nor do the fights go on forever; they’re carefully tied into story, emotion, and stakes. Jenkins really figures out how to make that style of action scene properly kick ass.

If Warners is smart, they’ll give her basically the deal they gave Nolan: run off and do your own thing (The Prestige, Inception), then come back and do the sequels, and do whatever you want. And pay her mightily for Wonder Woman 2.

I waited to see it until last night so I could see it with my mother. After it finished, I said, “That was pretty great.” She responded, “Shut your whore mouth! It was the best movie ever!”

What the hell is wrong with you people? Cashews are the worst nut.
du_Man has been banned
DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: July 06, 2017, 12:28 am »

i watched UNCLE SAM for Independence Day last night and the best part was that Isaac Hayes had a literal Revolutionary War cannon that shot explosives akin to bazooka blasts

Kybard
society's stared-at man
Mod

HOW ARE YOU

View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: July 07, 2017, 11:34 am »

Wonder Woman was awesome.

It's far from flawless, but like Donner’s Superman, it absolutely nails the main character, the love story, most of the set-pieces, and, above all, the heart, and so gets away with all manner of flaws that could have taken down most movies. (the first act, in particular, is pretty rough, but it pretty much all comes together as soon as Steve Trevor shows up) Gal Gadot is just perfect -- her physicality perfectly conveys the power of this demigoddess, but she also conveys her complexity, her naivette, her femininity, her passion and her compassion. And Chris Pine is absolutely wonderful as Steve.

The romance between Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor is honestly the best love story in a superhero film outside of Donner’s Superman. Not that those are usually the strong point, but they did a phenomenal job with it.

The fight scenes are largely done in Zach Snyder’s style, but Patty Jenkins does it so much better than he does. The slow-motion bits are used to show off the grace and precision of Diana or the other amazons (something Snyder does), but it’s not overdone. Nor do the fights go on forever; they’re carefully tied into story, emotion, and stakes. Jenkins really figures out how to make that style of action scene properly kick ass.

If Warners is smart, they’ll give her basically the deal they gave Nolan: run off and do your own thing (The Prestige, Inception), then come back and do the sequels, and do whatever you want. And pay her mightily for Wonder Woman 2.

I agree with all of this, esp. how much better and smarter jenkins is than the man himself about appropriating snyer's signature style.

re: gadot and naivete -- I thought that both the script and performance do a great job of doing the funny fish out of water stuff without ever making her seem silly or stupid. it's all just great reflections of how her personality and attitude clash with the world around her: carrying her sword and shield with the dress because why would you ever not be carrying your sword and shield? and treating the revolving door as some kind of warrior's feat of agility. it all serves to make her alien but also to emphasize how powerful and assertive and self-assured she is.

tilting that tone slightly in the wrong way could easily have made that whole sequence (and others) feel really condescending, but instead it's largely awesome

but it's not so great when you consider that it's coming from an alive lady
DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: July 07, 2017, 03:17 pm »

my favorite thing about WONDER WOMAN was that, despite starring a woman, its characterizations were still just as abhorrent as blockbusters with men. Germans portrayed as cackling Nazis despite the film taking place during WW1? check. taciturn Native American guy named Chief who seems supernaturally wise? got it. drunk Scotsman in a kilt? you betcha. and don't forget the horny little Middle Eastern man wearing a fez!

home run for equality this one was

DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: July 07, 2017, 04:06 pm »

also the god-out-of-water stuff was funnier in THOR to me because Hemsworth has better comedic chops. and the period war setting was more evocative in THE FIRST AVENGER to me because Joe Johnston is kind of an expert at that Golden Age/serial feel (Cf. THE ROCKETEER)

oh and if you think any of the action in WW looked better than the big Batman warehouse fight in BvS you're smoking the damn reefer!!! say what you will about that film, i mean its plotting was dumb as shit, but it was also brazen and weird and memorable. Lex Luthor feeding a guy a Jolly Rancher?? the piss jar?? what the fuck. with Wonder Woman there was such a strong feeling of deja vu... maybe if they had given one of these flicks to a lady sooner we wouldn't have seen all the origin clichés done to death first

i still enjoyed WW quite a bit but it has some big big problems.... i think where Jenkins most excels is the human element...the sad little chorus following the big town battle about halfway through being the best example. everybody gets a tragic character beat and the wordless exchange between Diana & Steve before they have sex is fantastic. i liked stuff like that and not so much the superhero stuff.

anyway the wokest blockbuster of the year is without a doubt xXx: RETURN OF XANDER CAGE, a rousing tale about multicultural badasses dismantling a secretive fascist arm of the U.S. government

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length