Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2017, 04:55 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  AV Club
| | |-+  TODAY I WATCHED...
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 Print
Author Topic: TODAY I WATCHED...  (Read 267728 times)
DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

#1 Internet Content Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: June 30, 2016, 01:13 am »

THE SHALLOWS

Great shark movie, Badass capable protagonist, breakneck pace, marred by horrible denouement. Jaume Collet-Serra continues to be a b-movie king. Really fascinated by the integration of technology in his pictures, especially the use of Instagram and GoPro here. Solid 4/5 .

Bettytron
Fart Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: July 25, 2016, 09:24 am »

Ghostbusters
Super charming and fun and silly. I thought Melissa McCarthy and Leslie Jones were both a bit underwritten but brought a lot to what they were given. The pace didn't leave much room for character moments to breathe, but that is a pretty minor complaint. Kate MacKinnon is a dreamboat. I was more affected than I expected to be just by seeing women on-screen, being competent and supportive of each other, in functional clothes, and making jokes. By MacKinnon's big action scene towards the end I honestly was tearing up a bit. So refreshing.

Stranger Things
I loved the 80s style/homage and it made me want to dig out the Stephen King books I re-read obsessively as a tween, and the cliffhanger endings successfully manipulated me into binge-watching the entire series. By the end, though,
(click to show/hide)

In an interview with The Duffer Bros, they talk about how films like Stand By Me or E.T. really hit home when they were kids because they were reminded of their own friends and family. But rather than create a story inspired by real friendships, with all the little quirks and details that bring those to life, they created a story inspired by stories inspired by real friendships. The quirks are all recycled from film tropes; no character ever does or says anything that is outside of the specific types that they've resurrected from these existing films. Ultimately disappointing.

Citizen Snips
♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖ ♙♙♙♙♙♙♙♙ ♟♟♟♟♟♟♟♟ ♜♞♝♛♚♝♞♜
Probably a postbot

Der Zorn Gottes

View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: July 25, 2016, 12:31 pm »

I've only seen the first episode of Stranger Things but that's definitely the vibe I get. Still, I love that aesthetic, so I dig it.

My favorite thing so far is how it's inspired a bunch of genealogy lists on Letterboxd: http://letterboxd.com/search/lists/stranger%20things/

Bettytron
Fart Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: July 25, 2016, 02:02 pm »

Vulture did a solid A-Z of references too: http://www.vulture.com/2016/07/stranger-things-film-reference-glossary.html

I loved the kid actors, especially Eleven, and the aesthetic was executed pretty much flawlessly (though I wish they had used practical effects- the CG pulled me out of it, even though it was decent for a tv budget). If you're enjoying the atmosphere, it's totally still fun to watch. Just don't hold your breath for it to resolve with any kind of coherent logic!

Skeletonic
Skeletronic
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

FIGHT ME IRL

View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: July 25, 2016, 05:50 pm »

I disagree, it was great.

if loving me is wrong, everybody is right
Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: July 25, 2016, 06:27 pm »

I liked it a lot too. Felt Eleven's actress (Millie Bobby Brown, whose parents should have reconsidered the middle name) deserved an Emmy nom. Might be eligible for next year.

I read a lot of the effects were actually practical, including most of the stuff in The Upside Down. The more obvious thing I don't care to spoiler tag was obviously not.

Betty's points are definitely valid but I choose to ignore them less they spoil my enjoyment, ya buzzkill.
EFHRK
ABORTION FORESTFUCK
Hurker

I am a huddled mass

View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: July 25, 2016, 08:00 pm »

I also watched Stranger Things, so here's my opinion (aka the one that matters)

Jk I agree with almost everything Betty said. The vibe was cool, the aesthetic and soundtrack set up a nice little world, but a lot of the plot elements felt incredibly unsatisfying. There was some cool sci-fi stuff hidden in the story, but it just felt so bogged down by the predictability, the subplots feeling rushed or not making sense, and nearly everything involving those fucking teens. I truly don't care who got drunk at the party and fucked who omg such drama. It's tiring and feels completely disconnected from everything else going on. They should have cut all that out, made every episode 10 minutes shorter, and used that budget to up their CGI a little more.

This is one of those things that makes me want to say "This was ALMOST really cool." It borders on greatness constantly and always comes up short, and it's disappointing because they had a really interesting premise to work with. In the end it just felt like a mediocre effort.

I'd give it like a 3/5. I can see why some people like it, but I'll probably never desire to check it out again.
DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: July 25, 2016, 10:33 pm »

I like the opening credits. the kids are good actors but have no defining character tics other than "here are some nerds" so far (I am only on episode 6.) Chief Hopper is like bargain bin Tom Atkins and would be way cooler if he was just played by old man Atkins. or if they just brought in Velcoro. Winona is good because Winona. everyone else is boring and I hate fake Dane Dehaan. the monster stuff would have been awesome if it was just one x-files episode probably. I zone out a lot while i'm watching I guess the 80s nostalgia stuff isn't really for me.

DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: July 25, 2016, 10:34 pm »

sorry i'm typing this on mobile so i'm just sort of pouring out stream of consciousness thoughts

evilspud
Street Smart

View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: August 14, 2016, 09:41 am »

Sausage Party

Hmmmm

Jokes that were amusing without being horrible or disgusting:
(click to show/hide)

Jokes that were amusing despite being horrible and/or disgusting
(click to show/hide)

My rating:

Uh/Uhhhh.

C'mon stop being a dick just screenshot the best bits for us.
EFHRK
ABORTION FORESTFUCK
Hurker

I am a huddled mass

View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: August 18, 2016, 11:05 pm »

i watched suicide squad and it was fucking trash ok thank you
Navigator2001Plus
Richard "Dick" "The Dickman" Dongman, professional dong-man
Admin

That's what she said.

View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: August 19, 2016, 01:32 am »

i watched suicide squad and it was ... ok ...

<Skeletonic> nav is very important to me
<SuperCalvin> So as I was saying, navigator is handsome
Johnny Roastbeef
Novice LARPer

View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: August 20, 2016, 07:22 pm »

I watched the first episode of the new Amazon series of The Tick. It was ok, but not fantastic. Interesting that they seem to almost be making a Wilfred thing of it, but there was nothing super catching about the first episode. We'll see if it goes up or down from there.

Because freshness is expected of any hip-hop artist, I avoid using traditional techniques.
DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: August 21, 2016, 12:56 pm »

now watch Jean-Claude Van Johnson

Illiterati
sex fucker
Deathfat

ʕノᴥʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: August 30, 2016, 07:07 am »

I am also watching Stranger Things and I think it's good. I think every character is a cliche but in the spirit of 80s films where everybody is also a cliche then it's very loyal to its influences.

8====D~~~~~~~~~~(( |
Navigator2001Plus
Richard "Dick" "The Dickman" Dongman, professional dong-man
Admin

That's what she said.

View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: September 03, 2016, 03:59 am »

watched the shaun the sheep movie at a friend's. it was pretty funny, and had lots of clever little references here and there.

<Skeletonic> nav is very important to me
<SuperCalvin> So as I was saying, navigator is handsome
Skeletonic
Skeletronic
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

FIGHT ME IRL

View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: September 03, 2016, 07:09 pm »

Green Inferno is bad, ty

if loving me is wrong, everybody is right
Remington Lonespear
#buttchat
Deathfat

Neil deGrasse Tyson for the motherepic shit win

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1797 on: October 18, 2016, 01:32 am »

yw

[18:30] <JonasSalk> lee was bring nerds together forever
RummyLu
The PUNisher
Probably a postbot

View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: October 25, 2016, 03:34 am »

Stranger Things did nothing for me and left me cold.

Except for Barb.

"Ill retract the rape complaint from the wombat, because hes pulled out."
Mr Gale
Unbannable
Admin

I am Poirot

View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: October 31, 2016, 09:16 am »

I went to see Dr Strango Unchained.

It was pretty good. Very much in the standard Marvel mould with good mix of action and comedy - but generic villain/origin story issues, but it had some more interesting visual stuff than normal and a slightly more creative ending.

Doctor Strango was very good, and as was Tildy Swintz (racist appropriator or not) and just a really strong cast in general.

There was a reference to..

(click to show/hide)

If anyone knows?
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length