Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2017, 09:16 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Linkies
| | |-+  Reality Pokemon Comics (and some comics that are actually good)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: Reality Pokemon Comics (and some comics that are actually good)  (Read 24021 times)
Joseph Nistal
Shogun
Admin

lep

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2014, 12:32 am »

Steve Lichman

Not A Spatula
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2015, 12:55 am »

A few artists I admire have been sharing and booing this essay. I like it.

http://www.tcj.com/2014s-critic-of-the-year/

There is a dad-ish tone there, some old man asides. There is also a good point, so whatever. The dialogue surrounding contentious works in comics usually IS shallow, and very fast to punish ambiguity.
Not A Spatula
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2015, 02:14 pm »

MLs repeatedly tell us that they critique art because they want to expose bad ideology and make a better world, noble goals we should all embrace. And yet, I’m not sure how being jerkish online elevates the community. How many people refuse to enter the conversation because they don’t want to get an ML smack-down? (Why try to silence moderate voices!?) I wonder why MLs default to mean? Does the medium encourage disgruntled messaging? Does it have something to do with the screen’s repressive and tone-less role as an unsympathetic intermediary between us and the world? (Do we create a fiction that “the world” is literally on the receiving end of our urgent missive, giving our tweets the world-shaping potential of a neutron bomb?) If we imagined the faces of our interlocutors and the people behind the art we critique (faces sometimes lined with the humanity of self-doubt), could we so easily attack them? Does the internet make bullies of us all? I don’t know, I don’t even have internet at home. As I approach my twilight years and get my affairs in order (i.e., finally box up my comic books by publisher, genre, title, number), I think, perhaps nostalgically, that away from all glowing-beeping-multifunctioning devices, holding in our hands a mono-purpose book whose textured pages bear witness to its natural origins, that somehow, at least potentially, we can be re-humanized.

Admittedly paragraphs like this are weak and make me feel uncomfortable giving the writer props. I can't endorse the article wholesale, but I do sometimes share the same feeling that preemptive cynicism can too readily become the default against artists who haven't built up a certain amount of goodwill beforehand.
HyperGlavin
bridge and tunnel dyke
Probably a postbot

I'm a cool guy irl

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2015, 06:03 am »

I recently discovered Hip Hop Family Tree and it is a real gem.

Here's the link to the first comic because Boing Boing's site navigation doesn't include a convenient archive fomat, like some kinda jerk

Yes, come on, get a dog up you, you rapscallion.
Not A Spatula
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2015, 06:45 am »

A little more on comics criticism, before I fold back into a drawer:

http://www.comicsandcola.com/2015/01/listen-1st-my-second-reply.html
David Brothers discusses the uneven standards and frequent dismissals that minority writers advocating newer critical approaches are expected to tiptoe around before being heard out.

http://whitelippedviper.tumblr.com/post/108010771622/threading-the-needle-on-contemporary-choices-in
Sarah Horrocks calls art powerful but not dangerous, warning that some criticism treads a thin line regarding artist accountability.

I won't turn this into the comic geek essay repository thread.
Metsfan
Book Smart

I like to get intimate with inanimate inmates.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2015, 05:52 pm »

Perry Bible Fellowship is updating again so that is alright.

Won't somebody think of the nerds?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length