Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2017, 05:33 am

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Let's all quit smoking you guys
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Let's all quit smoking you guys  (Read 19718 times)
Illiterati
sex fucker
Deathfat

ʕノᴥʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2010, 10:35 pm »

After having been a regular half-to-one-pack-a-day smoker (double or triple when drinking) for about five years or so now, I have decided on this very day to quit.

I am quitting because I noticed my lung capacity drastically decreasing these past years. Where a few years ago I would be able to run eight or ten kilometers in a brisk jogging pace without even once stopping to catch my breath, nowadays I'd be lucky if I can manage fifty meters. I am also scared of getting lung cancer and emphysema and AIDS and whatnot.

I know all the perils involved in trying to quit cold turkey as I have been through that exercise several times before. The longest was one time in college where I managed to stop smoking for three whole weeks. All throughout those three weeks I had been coughing really badly and expelling some pretty nasty chowder from my lungs, and during the third week I came down with a really high fever that went on for about two days. I then smoked a cigarette and in a few hours the fever was gone.

Also one time I managed to stop smoking for a week but then on the eighth day I turned into a werewolf. That didn't turn out too well.

So basically what I am wondering is has this happened to any of you who have also tried quitting cold turkey? Also give me words of encouragement so that I may finally kick this habit. I am a pussy and do not wish to die gasping for breath and coughing blood.

8====D~~~~~~~~~~(( |
boron
Mod

let me live my anime life

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 10:39 pm »

Stop smoking cigarettes you prissy little bitch.

boron
Mod

let me live my anime life

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 10:40 pm »

Also, good luck!

spaceboy
just some guy
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 11:23 pm »

I smoked for six years, and I tried to quit at least 100 times before it finally stuck. I've been a non-smoker now for seven years. I don't know why I finally quit and it worked, but it was a cold-turkey attempt.
Illiterati
sex fucker
Deathfat

ʕノᴥʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 11:26 pm »

I am craving a cigarette right now. How do I overcome this?

8====D~~~~~~~~~~(( |
Technohawk
Spacesquatch
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 11:30 pm »

Smoke a dick.

It's the only way.
DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

#1 Internet Content Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 11:32 pm »

Chew a piece of gum instead. (I guess that is what they say to do)

Then every time you get a craving for a cigarette, continue to chew gum.

Eventually you will become addicted to gum. Good luck kicking that habit.

Driscoll
Admin

Huge Cowardly Nerd Shitball

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 11:33 pm »

I already quit smoking, is that cheating?
Daisho
Potential Friend

Lose yourself

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 11:34 pm »

Eventually you will become addicted to gum. Good luck kicking that habit.

You can always try smoking to get rid of the chewing habit.

Asian face. White body. Redneck smile.
Illiterati
sex fucker
Deathfat

ʕノᴥʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 11:34 pm »

FUCK YOUR CHEATING FACE DRISCOLL

8====D~~~~~~~~~~(( |
oball
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 11:35 pm »

I just never even started smoking in the first place.  You should try that, it works quite well.

BUTTS FOR THE BUTT GOD
Illiterati
sex fucker
Deathfat

ʕノᴥʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 11:36 pm »

Also yeah, I guess I can do gum. But I am on the phone a lot at work so it might sound annoying to the people on the other line.

What I am saying is smoking is the only solution.

8====D~~~~~~~~~~(( |
Illiterati
sex fucker
Deathfat

ʕノᴥʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 11:39 pm »

I am a paragon of self-control because I just denied myself a smoke like a fucking viking warrior who denies himself a smoke.

I am now 2 hours and 38 minutes into day 1 of quitting.

8====D~~~~~~~~~~(( |
Driscoll
Admin

Huge Cowardly Nerd Shitball

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 11:44 pm »

My advice on quitting is to just be badass about it. Just stop altogether. Maybe go run around the block if you really want one. Don't be fooled by gums and patches, those work really poorly, because you aren't even quitting nicotine when you use those.
Illiterati
sex fucker
Deathfat

ʕノᴥʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 11:48 pm »

Thanks for all the advice guys. I agree that cold turkey really is the best way to do it. My mother used to smoke since she was in her teens, and then just one day when she found out she was pregnant with our youngest brother (she was about 33 at the time) she stopped and that was that.

I'll try to run around the building now.

8====D~~~~~~~~~~(( |
spaceboy
just some guy
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 12:03 am »

Seriously, one thing that helped me quell my cravings was drinking one huge cold glass of water. It was something physical that I could feel, and it was replacing a bad habit with a good one. Sounds silly, but it was helpful.
MWB
Nevermind, Just Another Jerk

1 trick of a tiny belly

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 12:45 am »

One time maybe 15 years ago I got really drunk and had I think two puffs off a cigarette. But today, I am smoke-free! Let my story be an inspiration to you.
Benny B

Sawed-off Thought-gun

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 02:03 am »

I never started smoking, but I kinda share your pain here, Lit.

I recently went to sell some plasma(because I am all kinds of poor), and as part of the screening process they check your blood pressure. Now, I've always been a big guy, but despite that my blood pressure has always been at perfectly acceptable levels.

I clocked in at 175/99. One heart beat per minute below the legal limit for donating blood.

While not entirely Walking-Corpse level, it is still Holy Shit Serious level. I turn 22 in a week. Both sides of my family have a history of high blood pressure, but I thought I'd lucked out, since my last check a few years ago was something like 130/80.

I've now gone a week with no fast food, which was tricky, and no pop or caffeine, which was fucking ridiculous. I've also been downing water like crazy. I'll be working healthier foods into my diet once I get my next paycheck, and I'm going to try to exercise more often, but mainly my goal is to avoid that stuff until I get some insurance and can afford some blood pressure medication.

So yeah, hang in there Lit, and let's try not to die and stuff.
Mile Star
Sucks at High Fiving

Like Jason Bourne, only retarded

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 02:25 am »

Tell people in your surroundings about your goal, and that will motivate you to succeed in that, fearing you will disappoint the others and come out as a major wuss if you lose control.

Good luck, man.
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 02:27 am »

Kill a homeless man. He is possibly worth nothing to society and the years you spend in jail can give you the limitations you need to prevent you from smoking
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length