Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 19, 2017, 07:14 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Games and Stuff With Wires
| | |-+  The DM Online Board Game Club for Cool Kids Who are Popular
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: The DM Online Board Game Club for Cool Kids Who are Popular  (Read 40022 times)
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer
Contextually Post-black Pop-star Rapper

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 07:55 pm »

When are you around? I know there's other people who've been semi-regular players who haven't checked in so while this window definitely seems like a good one which a lot of people can play, that doesn't mean we can't set up another one as well that fits other people.
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 05:57 pm »

So, what game for Monday? While I do intend to get a mic ASAP if this is going to be a thing, with Sandy having taken out power for a week and me being somebody who both relies primarily on the internet to make money, and relies on his freezer to stay cold and store the frozen foods I tend to eat, ASAP is not before Monday, so as much as I really want to play Pandemic, that would probably be best waiting until a day where my having to type in everything isn't so prohibitive. Similarly, Battlestar Galactica and Ghost Stories are games high on my list but probably not ideal for Monday.

Betrayal at House on the Hill - I mentioned it in the opening of the thread, but basically everyone starts out exploring a randomized mansion together until a point where one of them is converted into one of many different possible bad guys, at which point they begin to work against the other players.

Middle Earth Quest - (1 vs. 1-3 players) - One player controls the forces of Sauron, while the others each control their own good heroes. The good heroes on their turn move about the world trying to complete quests or take down threats, while the Sauron character attempts to advance all that is bad with the help of some generals, and battles ensue when the two forces come face-to-face.

Fortress America - (1 vs. 1-3 Players who are also kinda vs. each other) - One player controls the United States, the others control opposing forces looking to take over the country. In the beginning, the US is caught off guard and the advantage is firmly with the attackers. As play progresses though, the US gains in strength, and it's up to the invaders to do enough damage early that they reach their goal before the United States has amasses too much power to be stopped. For extra fun, if the invaders win, one will have scored the most individual points, meaning you are also competing and considered enemies during the game.

Cosmic Encounter - (3-6 Players) - I know some people from here have played the online version before. Each player is in control of a random race of aliens (there's like 60 of them, each with a unique rule-breaking power) on a random space system (only seven, the slackers.) The goal is to get a base on five planets or moons in systems owned by other players. Alliances and negotiations are in play, each with their own pros and cons and general risks.

Starfleet Captains - I haven't gotten to read the rules on this for any in-depth look at it, but it's a Star Trek game where you are captain of a fleet. Come on, that should have been obvious.
BSam
Vice Douchelord

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2012, 09:24 pm »

Rushed home from work to realise I don't know how days work.

About this time tomorrow right?
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2012, 09:41 pm »

~20 minutes from this post is the front side of the window listed. Give or take time to accommodate Lee.

I've started putting rules of games in the first post as well, and did a rules-in-brief on Fortress America if that's what we decide play. Tested it out with one turn of solo-play controlling all the sides and it was pretty simple. Working on one for Middle Earth Quest as well.

Anybody got any preferences on what to play, from what I posted or anything else?
JonasSalk
Still Alive And Now 22
Hurker

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2012, 10:49 pm »

I'd like to play Middle Earth Quest.  Really it doesn't matter, I just hope we start at 10. That way I could play as long as possible without having to jump out. Next week, I will hopefully be hooking with Clear and then I can play forever and ever.

One day I'll say something special.
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2012, 11:39 pm »

That would also be my first choice since as mentioned it works well for me to be Sauron and you guys can still talk things out on Skype and stuff. It may take a bit of getting used to what's what for the set-up phase (it seems, but I can't be sure until I'm in a connected game with both sides, that a card each side gets at the beginning is drawn to them by the other side in this module, I guess to keep people from peeking ahead) maybe. That said, the game itself, as I remember it and as far as I've read right now, is beautifully done in that it's very deep but not overly complicated.
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2012, 02:05 am »

Okay, I finished re-reading them and doing an in-brief rules list for them. I whole-heartedly vote for this game. The main mechanic sees the two teams both trying to advance a timeline for their side and also complete a mission. If the first team to advance their timeline far enough has done their mission too, they win. If not, then the game is instead decided gladiator style, with the heroes picking one champion to battle the Ringwraiths, who are either stronger or weaker than normal based on which side was winning. That is rad as hell.
Gitro
Sucks at High Fiving

Feminazi Manhater

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2012, 07:55 am »

I would like to play this but have a doctor's appointment about an hour after we're likely to start. Is it hard to set up everything if I don't know anything about the game/vassal to begin with?

Australia has a serious gap in its defence against timber refugee boats because over-the-horizon radar can't pick them up and current ship and aircraft radars have limited range.
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2012, 08:42 am »

This is the most self-contained vassal module I've seen so far, in terms of how much work to get started it would take in real-life relative to the game. All the many different decks that get used are already all in place and, as far as I can tell, automatically shuffled. Set-up basically entails removing the two hero pieces not being played from the board, and then each side drawing the opposing side's mission card for them. And then go play the game. In your case throw in an "install vassal" step.

While you never know how long a game takes until you try it, while I would say with 99.9% certainty we couldn't play a whole game in an hour, I also think once we get the hang of it that it won't be the longest game ever, so it's possible if we play this we could always do two different games. If myself, Lee, Bsam and Jonas are all able to play, that would be enough for one game, but I also know EFHRK has said he may be around and Doc mentioned stepping in when Jonas has to leave, so if it wasn't too late when the first finished I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to get a second group of four after the first finishes.
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2012, 11:57 am »

Tested it today with Jonas, it's easy as expected to operate. He wasn't on the 1.2 module which meant he couldn't see one thing, though seemed to work anyhow otherwise (and all that would mean is one of the other heroes would have to tell him what the mission was) but to be safe, everyone make sure you have version 1.2 downloaded before tonight.

Also, since the first four people in are me, Jonas, Lee and BSam, if the three of you want you can choose which hero you want to be and claim them here, or just choose at random. I look forward to crushing you under my evil fist. Also, outside having seen one mission each when testing, I know nothing about what kinds of powers cards and stuff will grant, or what possible missions there are, so I look forward to all of us being totally unaware of just exactly what powers the other side has. That seems fitting.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 12:02 pm by SteelFan714 » Logged
EFHRK
ABORTION FORESTFUCK
Hurker

I am a huddled mass

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2012, 01:40 pm »

I am running all over the place right now so I haven't had time to read this thread really (I'm typing this while I walk down the street) but whatever we're doing I should be able to make it.
BSam
Vice Douchelord

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2012, 01:54 pm »

I'm happy for random heroes, that way if i get a shit one i can't blame my hero selecting skills.
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2012, 02:02 pm »

Cool, I'm going to try and handle all the set-up before we start so we can jump right in, so if Lee and Jonas want to choose there's they can, and then I'll put the other names into random.org for you and anyone else who wants random.

Also, I had to correct a few things in the rules if you read them earlier. Although "Draw Plot & Shadows" allows Sauron to draw multiple of each, he only keeps one plot. There is no limit on the length of a chain from a stronghold, only a limit of strength on that chain where no space can have more than the strength at the stronghold.
Remington Lonespear
#buttchat
Deathfat

Neil deGrasse Tyson for the motherepic shit win

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2012, 02:20 pm »

What time are we playing again?  And who are you people?

[18:30] <JonasSalk> lee was bring nerds together forever
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2012, 02:48 pm »

7-8ish your time. I believe you're the last one to be available (though it's possible Jonas is) in which case whenever you're around we'll start. Do you have a preference on a hero to play or do you also want to go random?
Remington Lonespear
#buttchat
Deathfat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2012, 03:51 pm »

I choose Optimus Prime (I haven't read the rules so if he's not in this version I'll take random too)

SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2012, 02:34 am »

Thing we learned from Middle Earth Quest:
 - A round of turns takes about 20 minutes if you know what you're doing.
 - A round of turns takes over an hour if you don't know what you're doing.
 - Jonas does not know what he is doing.
 - Lee is one racist SOB.
 - BSam can stay awake for a whole* game if there's a board to play with.
 - It seems like a game that would be fun if played again when everyone had a general idea of rules going in and when it doesn't get broken by a player leaving right as we figure it out. Still not sure why Doc couldn't take Jonas' spot even after I kicked him. I guess maybe he has to abandon it first.
 - I am willing to give advice on the best strategy to carry out in a game even when my total experience with a game is just having read the rules.

We also played Small World after MEQ broke. Dust won because he is a cheater. I'd definitely be down to make this a more-often thing, whether it's weekly, bi-weekly whatever. For new games picking a game more than a day in advance would be good so people can skim the rules, which we didn't really provide time for with choosing MEQ so late. I'd also definitely like to give MEQ another go with people who know what they're doing sometime if you guys or other people who wanted to play but missed out are interested, because as we slowly clunked along I definitely saw why it's a game I've seen people rave about beneath our struggling to make sure we were doing the right things, particularly as we figured it out in the end. I especially like the way the two sides play two completely different games. Sauron's strategy and available options are so different from the heroes that I'd like to try each at least once eventually.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 02:43 am by SteelFan714 » Logged
Remington Lonespear
#buttchat
Deathfat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2012, 01:12 pm »

Dust won

I'm pretty sure if you go back and look at the final state of the game I had 500 VP so I don't think this is true.

SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2012, 02:57 pm »

Well if we're getting technical, a recount that occurred after I'd kicked you found that your points had been grossly over-counted, while I was underrepresented in early findings.
Remington Lonespear
#buttchat
Deathfat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2012, 03:29 pm »

If we're getting technical, up yours

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length