Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 25, 2017, 12:34 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Games and Stuff With Wires
| | |-+  The DM Online Board Game Club for Cool Kids Who are Popular
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: The DM Online Board Game Club for Cool Kids Who are Popular  (Read 32521 times)
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer
Killer Blob Supporter

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2012, 11:36 pm »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

I was going to toss this in the board games thread, but I figured if it's something people are interested in doing it would be nice to have a first post I could update with future planned dates and the games/players signed up on them.

Anyhow, I was thinking that maybe we should do a little bit more planning on online games. I know a bunch of us are down for playing online, and we can usually cobble together a run of games that lasts for a week or two when we find some new fascination, but with so many different schedules we also end up with loads of "yeah, that is definitely a game we should play" that goes on for months without ever actually playing it. So, what we should do is set up a regular game night (or game day for some people) that would be a recurring thing on whatever frequency works for people (I'd be down for weekly, but bi-weekly, monthly, etc., whatever is all good for those of you with lives and shit) so that rather than putting together a game with whoever happens to be on, we can more easily fit time into personal schedules to get in on games, kind of like how there was the set weekly window for Travesty TV. If people of different schedules are interested we could obviously set up more than one recurring time. But this way if somebody wants to play a certain game, just like with Travesty where people came in with good movies, we can post it here, find a spot for it and then people interested can sign up for it with a few weeks notice to ensure you don't miss out on a game you're really itching to play because the one time people happened to be on to play it you were at work.

If this is a thing people would be into, we should probably start with our times we'd be available to see what timeslot(s) works best.

I'm awake from ~2 PM GMT* to ~6 AM GMT* (9A-1A EST), though that's flexible to waking up a couple hours earlier or going to bed a couple hours later. I also generally work about 6-8 hours or so Monday to Friday, starting shortly after I get up, but that's also pretty flexible within the week where if need be I can rearrange the time of day or day of the week for one of my sessions to match others' schedules. Also, if this happens I will finally stop being a tightass and get a mic.

* - or an hour later on each of those during times like now where we have that period of only being GMT-4 instead of GMT-5 because our daylight savings dates don't align

Also, some games I am interested in currently (with several pages of that column still to go through)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 11:53 am by SteelFan714 » Logged
Johnny Roastbeef
Novice LARPer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 07:44 am »

I would be interested in something like this, but my schedule probably isn't flexible enough to do it every week.  So I guess put me down as an enthusiastic, but infrequent party crasher.

Because freshness is expected of any hip-hop artist, I avoid using traditional techniques.
BSam
Wikipedia Nazi Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 08:07 am »

I can't guarantee being about, but I usually am.

Also, battlestar galactica? i'm watching the show now and really into it. curious how the game translates
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer
Killer Blob Supporter

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 08:35 am »

I haven't played it but from the reviews it's Red November mixed with Resistance, where everyone is working to fix threats in order to survive to make a jump through space, but in the beginning one player secretly becomes a Cylon out to ensure that doesn't happen. Then, halfway through there is another chance where you are again given role cards making it possible for a person to think they are good only to find out halfway through they are a Cylon and need to fuck shit up.

JRB, the weekly is how often I'd be willing to set aside time where I know "hey, if you want to go do something you'll be missing your game night, nerd," but I assume if we do end up with a time that works it will likely end up being less frequent than weekly since other people want to do dumb things like be with their kids and loved ones. But yeah, even if it is that frequent, or if we don't even find a recurring time but just use this to plan for bigger games with enough warning t get full numbers, just popping in whenever works and the game seems interesting is what I imagine most people would be doing most likely. Though if there's a specific game you'd be interested in that's coming up, the advanced warning would likely mean we could probably do a decent job of accommodating whoever wants to play by finding a good common time.

BSam, if we do find a good recurring time block, are there any particular days/times that work more or less often for you, or is your schedule always varied?

EDIT - Also, Middle Earth Quest is on my list. One player is Sauron, the other three are good heroes trying to stop his madness. If I recall right, the rules are also super simple, and the game was both highly recommended and one that read like it would be very fun.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 08:42 am by SteelFan714 » Logged
BSam
Wikipedia Nazi Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 08:58 am »

Monday and Tuesday are generally better, i think that's sunday and monday night for you guys.

Gitro
Sucks at High Fiving

Feminazi Manhater

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 09:00 am »

I'm free almost every Tuesday, other times vary by the week. That's monday night, I think, in America.

Australia has a serious gap in its defence against timber refugee boats because over-the-horizon radar can't pick them up and current ship and aircraft radars have limited range.
Johnny Roastbeef
Novice LARPer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 11:15 am »

Well in that case I would also be interested in seeing Small World some time.  I have a group of real world board game nerd friends and they do not own that one, so I thought I might pick it up, but I would like to try it out first.

Because freshness is expected of any hip-hop artist, I avoid using traditional techniques.
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer
Killer Blob Supporter

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 11:22 am »

Small World is great fun, and played really well and simple on Vassal when we played it.
Johnny Roastbeef
Novice LARPer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 11:37 am »

Got a rules link on Small World?  Maybe I'll take a look.

The other game I would suggest is a fun 40-45 minuter called Acquire.  It was a big favorite from back in my college days.  There's actually even a web client for it i.e. you don't have to implement the rules and keep score on your own the way some Vassal games are.

SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer
Killer Blob Supporter

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 11:46 am »

Dust actually ran a game on the forum here with the rules also in the first post so you can read the rules then see a bit of a game playing out (we only managed a few turns, I think.)
Remington Lonespear
#buttchat
Deathfat

Neil deGrasse Tyson for the motherepic shit win

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 11:48 am »

Small World (rules here) is simple and very fun.

As I mentioned in IRC I am working on school stuff most nights but I am always in IRC as a result (I'm doing an online degree program).  If Monday nights happen to work best for everyone I can probably take a night (or a few hours) off every week to dedicate to some sweet sweet board gaming.  I'm usually home around 6:15 PM (Pacific).

[18:30] <JonasSalk> lee was bring nerds together forever
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer
Killer Blob Supporter

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 12:05 pm »

My sleep schedule has been skewing later recently, so if that ends up being a time that works I'd have little-to-no problem managing until the 3 or 4 in the morning here if need be.
JonasSalk
Still Alive And Now 22
Hurker

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 12:11 pm »

On Monday and Wednesday, I am at school but I usually get home around 7:15 pm. And also, have work now, but that shouldn't really get in the way, because I think they're gonna have me working mornings and afternoons for the most part.

Board games are fun. I want to play board games.

One day I'll say something special.
EFHRK
ABORTION FORESTFUCK
Hurker

I am a huddled mass

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 12:26 pm »

I am open from 6pm-2am CST most nights. Sometimes earlier than that. Sometimes I'm super busy and can't make it at all though.
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer
Killer Blob Supporter

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 01:19 pm »

So, it seems like Monday nights in the US/Tuesdays in Australia is a time when a lot of people are around to maybe make that a good game night. Starting around 10-11 PM EST would then be 7-8 PST, and with an assist to Calvin ~noonish for the Oz folk. While next Monday would be too early for the planning in advance thing, would a tentative first go at this of Monday the 12th/Tuesday the 13th be a thing people would be on board with?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 03:59 pm by SteelFan714 » Logged
BSam
Wikipedia Nazi Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 02:24 pm »

do you mean
Monday the 12th/Tuesday the 13th

That should be alright for me, except i finish work at midday, so a touch later if possible.
Remington Lonespear
#buttchat
Deathfat

Neil deGrasse Tyson for the motherepic shit win

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 04:21 pm »

I'm on board, if you get what I'm saying.

[18:30] <JonasSalk> lee was bring nerds together forever
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 04:24 pm »

You're saying it is soon time for an evening of TRAINSAMERICA?
BSam
Wikipedia Nazi Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 04:29 pm »

Also, don't forget Fiasco!
Joseph Nistal
Shogun
Admin

lep

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 07:47 pm »

I'm usually working during the times you guys mentioned but should that or the times change, definitely count me in.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length