Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 04:09 am

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Games and Stuff With Wires
| | |-+  Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator 2 - On Steam
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator 2 - On Steam  (Read 22174 times)
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2012, 12:44 am »

Artemis simulates a spaceship bridge by networking several computers together. One computer runs the simulation and the "main screen", while the others serve as workstations for the normal jobs a bridge officer might do, like Helm, Communication, Engineering, and Weapon Control.

Artemis is a social game where several players are together in one room ("bridge") , and while they all work together, one player plays the Captain, a person who sits in the middle, doesn't have a workstation, and tells everyone what to do.
Artemis Space Bridge Simulator is a game where you take the role of a bridge officer in a sci-fi capital ship. You are Sulu, you are Data, you are Worf, you are Tuvok, you are Tasha Yar, etc.

How do you play?
This quote from the game's website does a good job of explaining it:
"This is Star Trek through the Rock Band filter. You are playing together as if you were on a ship."

In other words, the game works best when you gather a group of 6 friends, pretend to be a Starfleet officer, and save the galaxy from the comfort of your computer. To assemble a full bridge crew, you need people to fill these roles:

• The Captain
The Captain is simultaneously the most important member of the crew and the least involved in terms of physical game play. In an ideal setup with a full crew, the Captain doesn't manage any of the bridge stations, instead focusing his/her efforts on monitoring the main screen, prioritizing targets, and timing the interactions of the crew. The Captain needs to maintain order among the crew members so the whole affair doesn't become a shouty mess where you go warping into some bad-guys grill just to immediately eat a dozen photon torpedoes.

Ideally the Captain should be a complete asshole with a really awesome chair.

• Helms Officer

The helms officer flies the ship, maneuvering in battle for optimal positioning, going to warp/jump when its time to haul ass, and managing the displays for the main screen. Careful helms play is essential for successful battle, helping to get the drop on enemies, avoid fire, and gain target lock. Helms officers also share control of the main screen display and shields.

• Weapons Officer

The weapons officer manages the phasers, torpedoes, nukes, mines, and shields for the ship, locking onto targets and blowing them to hell when the Captain commands it. Weapons officers have to prioritize which sort of torpedoes to load into the tubes, with a selection of Mines, Homing Torpedoes, Nukes, and ECM. Weapons requires a good deal of coordination with Helms and Engineering to be successful, setting up the shot and then giving the Weapons systems the power necessary to make it count.

• Engineering

Engineering controls the very beating heart of the Artemis, managing the power systems and usage for the entire ship. If a given system has no power dedicated to it, it doesn't work. Engineering can add more power to something to make it work better, e.g. make the ship turn faster, beams fire faster, etc. Doing this will cause that system to overheat, so engineering manages cooling systems. Engineering also manages the damage control systems, prioritizing ship's repairs when damage is taken in battle. Interaction between engineering, helms, and weapons will make or break any given combat, as a sudden loss of power to steering, weapons, or shields can have drastic consequences, and an extra boost can give you a big advantage over a more powerful ship.

• Communications Officer

The comms officer can transmit orders to friendly vessels, request a space station build a type of ordnance, and snoop on enemy communications. Comms can also taunt enemy ships, getting them to attack your ship instead of a space station or friendly vessel. Comms can also order them to surrender. Finally, comms can signal RED ALERT! (which doesn't do much aside from blasting a really annoying sound from everyone's console, and making the radar retical turn red)

Comms should hit RED ALERT a lot.

• Science Officer

The science officer runs the advanced sensors of the Artemis, detecting and assessing enemy ships as well as finding space anomalies for the Artemis to investigate. Science's ability to scan the shields of enemy ships provides Weapons with vital information need to prioritize targeting, and its ability to find anomalies can grant your ship a much needed power-up when you don't have time to dock with a space station.

What are the system requirements
A DirectX 9 capable Windows XP or later computer. It's really not much.

What do you need to play
You need the game and some form of internet talking abilities. Communication is the most important part so if you don't have headphones, a microphone, and the ability to use these two things for talking over the internet, don't bother. The game is only sold in 6-packs at $40. I own a copy of the game with the 6 licenses, allowing me to give some away.

How many people can play?
Each ship has 5 bridge stations and a captain, the server allows for 6 ships. Multiple stations can be controlled per player, but you should have a minimum of 3 players and there is a hard maximum of 36 players. Whether those ships are friends united in defense of the sector or foes dedicated to destroying each other is entirely up to you.

I own a copy of the game and the 6 licenses that comes with that. I want to play, if you want to join in, post in here and we'll figure some time to play.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 09:16 pm by fermun » Logged
JonasSalk
Still Alive And Now 22
Hurker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 12:48 am »

I'd love to play this. I think I'd be the best Communications Officer, because I'm really good at hitting buttons and taunting people.

One day I'll say something special.
Gitro
Sucks at High Fiving

Feminazi Manhater

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 12:52 am »

I would like to get in on this and maybe not be responsible for the crew all dying or something.

Australia has a serious gap in its defence against timber refugee boats because over-the-horizon radar can't pick them up and current ship and aircraft radars have limited range.
HyperGlavin
bridge and tunnel dyke
Probably a postbot

I'm a cool guy irl

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 12:54 am »

I am interested in this. It sounds rad.

Yes, come on, get a dog up you, you rapscallion.
Remington Lonespear
#buttchat
Deathfat

Neil deGrasse Tyson for the motherepic shit win

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 01:18 am »

I'm in

[18:30] <JonasSalk> lee was bring nerds together forever
Remington Lonespear
#buttchat
Deathfat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 03:40 am »

After 1 game of not knowing how to do absolutely anything and 2 games that ended with us crashing into random space objects, we finally managed to finish a game.  It was pretty awesome.

BSam
Vice Douchelord

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 05:01 am »

Fuck yes I want to play this.
TheDarkFlame
Uselessness Personified
Fart Wizard

Go on. Touch it. You know you want to.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 05:04 pm »

This looks like a lot of fun, hopefully we can get a game in tonight.

Rolling all the ones, forever.
TheDarkFlame
Uselessness Personified
Fart Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 10:08 pm »

Do not make Jonas a captain. Just don't.

JonasSalk
Still Alive And Now 22
Hurker

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 10:20 pm »

What? I was a great Captain. I led us into defeat bravely and with a grace usually unknown to someone of my stature.

fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 10:36 pm »

Vote for me for captain, I will lead you on a glorious journey through the stars and you will come home with pockets full of irradiated space whale blubber.
TheDarkFlame
Uselessness Personified
Fart Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 10:50 pm »

Who cares about space whales anyway? It's not like they're endangered. Or at least, not anymore.

BSam
Vice Douchelord

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 12:24 am »

If you're struggling to know what your role needs to do, this helps a lot.

http://artemiswiki.pbworks.com/w/page/39352315/FrontPage

and if you're having trouble knowing how to communicate, here's a decent video of a game.

http://www.rocketjump.com/?video=lan-party-artemis
warning: nerds.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 12:43 am by BSam » Logged
Gitro
Sucks at High Fiving

Feminazi Manhater

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 12:57 am »

Space Monster for president.

Australia has a serious gap in its defence against timber refugee boats because over-the-horizon radar can't pick them up and current ship and aircraft radars have limited range.
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 01:56 am »

Space Monster will save humanity, and only demand one little space station in return.
JonasSalk
Still Alive And Now 22
Hurker

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 03:14 am »

I think that is fair, and, since I was the captain, that is what we gave it.

oball
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 07:36 pm »

So I know a bunch of people from another forum who have played this in the past, and I have the vague idea that at some point in the future we should have a game of interforum space warfare against them.

BUTTS FOR THE BUTT GOD
Remington Lonespear
#buttchat
Deathfat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 07:37 pm »

That would be most excellent.

JonasSalk
Still Alive And Now 22
Hurker