Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 25, 2017, 08:28 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Sanctum Sanctorum
| | |-+  Body Image Stuff
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Body Image Stuff  (Read 38588 times)
Danny G
Fart Master

Workplace Sex Criminal

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 09:07 pm »

I don't want to hijack your thread, so I won't.  I'm just going to put this here.  I'm sick to death of being fat so I'm going to do something about it (even if it kills me haha... no seriously, even if it fucking kills me).  Maybe if it's written down in public I'll stick to what I'm doing.

Anyway, serious congrats to you for getting the results you getting and for all the hard work.  That's quite impressive!  Keep up the good work, and keep us updated, dude!

Logjammin'
Benny B

Sawed-off Thought-gun

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 11:11 pm »

Dude, hijack away. If we want to just turn this into our general-purpose fat-off thread, I'm fine with that.

What kind of stuff are you doing to lose weight? I've pretty much just been using this tool to figure out how many calories I should be getting, eating at or around that number, trying to keep a diverse diet, and exercising. I cut out fast food, pop, and rarely drink alcohol-- but one day a month I invite a bunch of my friends out to dinner and the bar, where I don't count anything.

Also, yeah, posting stuff online is an awesome tactic. A lot of times I'll post early in the day on facebook, saying that I'll be running that night, or doing push-ups or something. That way I HAVE to do it.

Also pictures are helpful. I wish I had better 'before' photos to look at, so you may want to try that. Then this even-more-recent picture would look even more badass:

Good luck, Danny, and thanks to all you guys who cheered me on.
barco
Buddy Friend Pal

Life is a difficult process

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 10:06 am »

Congrats Benny B, and good luck Danny G!

Do your squats!

Anger at the Boner Funeral
Danny G
Fart Master

Workplace Sex Criminal

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 10:19 am »

Thanks, dudes.

So far, I'm just getting started...  I went out and bought an expensive bike, figuring if it wasn't cheap I'd be more apt to actually use it.  So far, so good.  I've ridden 5-6-7 miles a day almost every day since I got it.  I eventually want to get to where I'm riding 10 miles a day (minimum), 5 days a week.

I'm also just starting to use some of the p90x DVDs.  I know they are gimmicky, but they were free and they are better than doing the couch sitting that I have been doing.  I honestly thought I might die yesterday because of one of their workouts, and it was supposedly easy.

The last thing I'm doing is eating better.  I quit smoking 4 years ago, and that's when the weight gain started...  I quit drinking soda, but I had been eating like shit (lots of frozen garbage). The biggest thing is that I have just been sedentary too long.

Logjammin'
RummyLu
The PUNisher
Probably a postbot

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 11:35 am »

Nice one Danny! I look forward to someone else bitching about sweating on facebook!

"Iíll retract the rape complaint from the wombat, because heís pulled out."
Danny G
Fart Master

Workplace Sex Criminal

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 11:45 am »

Thanks!

I don't know what a reasonable goal is, but I want to set something to hit by the end of the year.  I dunno... lose 15 - 20lbs?  Does that seem reachable if I really work hard at this for the next several months?  I just worry that if my goal is too "easy" on myself, I'll lose motivation.  Of course, the same could be said about being too hard on myself, too.

I'd like to lose 35 - 40 total.

Logjammin'
norumaru
Columns: 2, Pillars: 4,

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 11:58 am »

Eating actual food instead of ACME Processed Lipid/Protein Globs(R) alone will go a long way, and save you money too! I had a time where I was just feeling very unhealthy, and what I did at that time was make a list of 5 essential things I would be able to buy pre-made (like bread, cold cuts, pickles etc.). Apart from that, I was allowed to buy only things that had a maximum of 3 ingredients (so pasta and canned corn were in, but tortellini, for example, were out). Anything else, I had to make myself.

It was fun, saved a lot of money and I ate much, much healthier. I stopped doing it when I started working on top of attending uni, because time (I ended up making my own curry paste at one point, which was fun and interesting, but also a pretty involved process). So if you have the time, do this! If you don't know what to cook, I hear there is a place not far from here where people talk food.

Don't discriminate, you retards, racism is gay
RummyLu
The PUNisher
Probably a postbot

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 12:01 pm »

I don't know about poundage goals, I shall defer to BennyB for that. I set goals like, "by next week I'm not going to feel like I'm dying after doing workout x" or "I will work towards being able to lift x amount, or perfect my right hook so I don't feel like a retard in front of my trainer."

It works for me because I exercise to help my mood and setting weight goals really don't help me on that front.

http://hundredpushups.com/ This plan was fun for me because it focused on strength and numbers that weren't scale based

Also, I strongly second the whole start cooking yummy things advice from Norumaru.

"Iíll retract the rape complaint from the wombat, because heís pulled out."
Danny G
Fart Master

Workplace Sex Criminal

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 12:15 pm »

I've actually put real food in my fridge for the last several weeks, but most noticeably yesterday.  It's sad that I can cook quite well and didn't really for a very long time.  I figured "meh, this hot pocket has less sodium than what my max daily intake is now, so it'll work."  No more of that.  Crazy thing is, the doc said he doesn't believe that my shit diet had anything to do with my heart stuff.

You'll have to teach me the saving money bit of that, norumaru.  It seems more expensive than what I'm used to for now.  Either way, I like this idea a lot "Apart from that, I was allowed to buy only things that had a maximum of 3 ingredients..."

And I like the idea of your goals, too, Rummy.  I have some that are similar.  For example, distance on the bike, or do ALL of the p90x workout, etc.  My major concern is not looking like a lardass to myself, I guess.

Logjammin'
Benny B

Sawed-off Thought-gun

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 12:19 pm »

Any weight loss at or below 1.5-2 pounds a week is a healthy goal. The calculator I linked gives you a target number that will keep you at a loss rate of, at maximum, 2 pounds per week. This is the most sustainable plan, and with better long-term results.

Depending on how overweight you are to start, 20 pounds in 4 months might be really easy or really hard. When I started I was 120 pounds over my "healthy" (by BMI standards) weight. So for me, it hasn't been too hard to maintain about 10 lbs. per month(a little faster than I should be.) That slows down/gets harder as you near your target weight.

Obviously if you're biking your ass off(good job, by the way), you can and should have more calories than if you are sedentary. Eating too little will make your body eat up your muscle, and fuck up your metabolism.

On that calculator, I personally fill it out with the "sedentary" option selected. That way I know that if I work out, I can go over that number. They have tools on there to figure out how many calories you burn with different workouts, as well.
Danny G
Fart Master

Workplace Sex Criminal

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 12:27 pm »

That calculator says I can have just over 1800 calories a day (light activity) and still reach my overall goal by my birthday next year (May).  I know there are other variables that that calculator isn't taking into account, but that's pretty encouraging.

Thanks for all the advice, dudes.

p.s.  That's a pretty sweet picture, Benny.

Logjammin'
barco
Buddy Friend Pal

Life is a difficult process

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2012, 12:54 pm »

I set immediate goals for each workout (lift x weight cleanly), and intermediate goals based on a 3 week string of successful workouts (since I go on a 3 week cycle). I think its important to acknowledge small improvements as well as having big, eventual goals.

Anger at the Boner Funeral
norumaru
Columns: 2, Pillars: 4,

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2012, 01:37 pm »

You'll have to teach me the saving money bit of that, norumaru.  It seems more expensive than what I'm used to for now.
I guess it depends on what you buy. Obviously, you can't make hot pockets from scratch for less than the processed ones are, but you can cook other, simpler foods for pretty cheap.

(click to show/hide)

I have never done any sort of goal-oriented training regime, but I too have to move my ass from time to time just to stay in shape. I don't get fat, but I get extremely skinny and wimpy instead if I don't workout. Gyms and the like never worked out for me, though, because I just got bored and getting fit by itself never motivated me for more than a month or two. Cycling is pretty enjoyable, so it seems like a good choice. The thing that ultimately keeps me going to training is that the body mechanics and form-learning involved in doing Silat is so interesting, so I recommend - if you haven't already found it in cycling - to go for something that you enjoy anyway and do it in a group or just harder and more often, or something that offers more than the promise of weight loss. It just takes much less discipline to go through with it this way.

If it sounds like I think you are stupid, believe me, I know more than one person who workout through sheer discipline, and many more who have just stopped working out because they didn't enjoy it, so this is apparently not that obvious (also, in all honesty, you are pretty stupid).

Don't discriminate, you retards, racism is gay
Danny G
Fart Master

Workplace Sex Criminal

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2012, 02:13 pm »

Thanks, that's actually really helpful.

Logjammin'
Danny G
Fart Master

Workplace Sex Criminal

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2012, 04:45 pm »

Okay, last question and I'll try to leave the thread alone for a bit.

I have to do my 'workouts' after work.  I usually get home at 530, and start them then.  I'm usually starving beforehand but haven't been eating first.  With it being that close to when I normally eat dinner I don't know when I should be eating. 

Should I eat before, after, or a little before and have an actual dinner after?

Sorry, I'm genuinely clueless.  The bit I underlined seems to make the most sense to me, but I'm regularly wrong.

Logjammin'
Benny B

Sawed-off Thought-gun

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2012, 04:59 pm »

I end up in that situation a lot as well. I like to have something light and sweet, like an apple or something, then work out. I'm not sure if there's a medically better way to go about it or anything, though.
oball
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2012, 04:59 pm »

I have started going to the gym after work recently, and my eating schedule is something like this:

Breakfast: Bowl of muesli or a banana (8am)

Lunch: Sushi roll and seaweed salad (anywhere from 11:30am-1:30pm depending on work)

Afternoon snack: Muesli bar (4-5pm)

GYM (7-8:30pm)

Dinner: Something with lots of vegies and legumes and not many carbs - at the moment, chilli (9pm)

I have the muesli bar in the afternoon (I keep a stash in my desk at work), about a couple of hours before I go to the gym, so that I don't collapse from low blood sugar when I get there.  I have no idea if this sort of schedule is nutrionally valid, though, it's just what works for me.

BUTTS FOR THE BUTT GOD
Danny G
Fart Master

Workplace Sex Criminal

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2012, 05:06 pm »

I guess I mostly wondered because some MMA dickhead I know said eating post 6pm is really bad if you want to lose weight.  And, I've also read that you WANT to eat within 45 minutes of a workout, and all kinds of other shit.  Basically what I'm saying is, there's too much conflicting advice on this and it's confusing.

BennyB, you've been getting killer results, so I'll probably do what you're doing and see if that works. 

oball, what I'm taking away from you is that A) you also eat before and after, and B) it's probably different for everyone.

I need to relax about it and just see what works.  I just don't want to inadvertently be erasing all of my workouts by eating at stupid times.  I KNOW I'm overthinking this.

Logjammin'
Benny B

Sawed-off Thought-gun

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2012, 05:12 pm »

Yeah, either way it's calories in vs. calories out. I get off work at 9, get home at 9:30, sit for a few minutes, work out, and then eat dinner anywhere from 10:30-11. Then I go to bed at 12 or 1.

Maybe I could be getting better results, but I'm still getting results.
oball
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2012, 05:23 pm »

I've also read that you WANT to eat within 45 minutes of a workout

I used to have a housemate who was into bodybuilding, and he said that for gaining muscle you should be getting protein into you within an hour of working out for maximum benefit, which is why you always see the meatheads at the gym toting around ziploc bags of protein powder (or possibly steroids).

BUTTS FOR THE BUTT GOD
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length