Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 16, 2017, 01:40 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Games and Stuff With Wires
| | |-+  Small World (forum/board game)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Small World (forum/board game)  (Read 31414 times)
dustbuster
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2012, 12:57 am »

Small World is a board game that chronicles the rise and fall of civilizations throughout the history of a fantasy realm.  Players assume control of such proud peoples as the Swamp Dwarves and Commando Wizards and attempt to conquer as much of the world as they can.

At the start of the game you will choose an army from a limited selection.  Each army is made up of an archetypical fantasy race paired with a random special power, like so:

Don't get too attached to your Merchant Skeletons, though, as all great civilizations must eventually fall. When you find that your empire is overextended and your numbers are dwindling, you may choose to put your current race in Decline, select another, and begin conquering anew.  You'll be awarded points at the end of each turn for the territory you occupy.  After 8 turns, the player with the most points is the victor.

You can check out the manual here.  The actual rules span only four pages and are pretty basic.

A 5-player game shouldn't last more than a couple weeks, provided nobody disappears for long stretches of time.  Every turn can be handled with a single postfrom each player, as there aren't many isolated little decisions to make a la Game of Thrones.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 04:19 pm by dustbuster » Logged
BSam
Vice Douchelord

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 01:13 am »

Sounds good. I'm in.
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer
Contextually Post-black Pop-star Rapper

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 08:05 am »

I haven't read the rules yet, but I am in because it feels like forever since I've actually played in a game like this and those pictures are pretty.
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 10:20 am »

Update: I have read the rules and this game seems both super easy and super fun (to the extent I am considering picking it up if it's as fun as it sounds as a way of breaking the ice between Scrabble/Bezzerwizzer/Quelf type games into proper boardgames at my game nights) and three more jerks should sign up to play it so we can start. It taes about five minutes or so to read the rules, and I reckon each of your eight turns will take that at most to plan out and send to dust.
Remington Lonespear
#buttchat
Deathfat

Neil deGrasse Tyson for the motherepic shit win

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 11:52 am »

I have always wanted to play Small World as I hear it's great.  I haven't read the rules yet but consider me signed up.

[18:30] <JonasSalk> lee was bring nerds together forever
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 12:30 pm »

Man, what kind of an asshole signs up before he's even read the rules. Dust, I send all my Skydancer Goblins to plunder Lee's villages.
Remington Lonespear
#buttchat
Deathfat

Neil deGrasse Tyson for the motherepic shit win

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 12:44 pm »

You've activated my trap card!

[18:30] <JonasSalk> lee was bring nerds together forever
TheDarkFlame
Uselessness Personified
Fart Wizard

Go on. Touch it. You know you want to.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 12:47 pm »

I would be up for this. Looks pretty fun, and I like that you can create an empire and then ditch it for a better one while still earning something from them.

Rolling all the ones, forever.
FizzlePop
All yours
Fart Master

Why do we want to eat the people we love

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 01:13 pm »

In this to win this
SteelFan714
Bandage Sniffer

The Icon of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 01:24 pm »

That spot is already filled, sorry.

Lee called dibs.
FizzlePop
All yours
Fart Master

Why do we want to eat the people we love

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 02:44 am »

Man, what am i doing, i have finals in 2 weeks. Yeah no, i was dumb, i can't do this now.
dustbuster
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 03:25 am »

Alright, well let's begin anyway and hope we get a fifth player soon.  Here's the starting map:

You all start with 5 Victory Coins to spend or hoard as you see fit.

DarkFlame it is your turn and you may choose from the following races:

Flying Ghouls (10 tokens): You may attack any region, not just adjacent ones.  Ghouls remain on the map and may attack even when in Decline (but do lose their Flying ability).
Forest Skeletons (10 tokens): You collect a bonus Coin for each forest region you occupy.  You may redeploy an extra Skeleton token for every two occupied regions you conquer that turn.
Mounted Amazons (11 tokens): You conquer any Hill or Farmland region for 1 less token than usual.  You have four extra Amazon tokens to use for conquest.
Heroic Elves (11 tokens):  You may place 2 Hero tokens that make your regions immune to conquest and your opponents' powers.  
Merchant Sorcerers (7 tokens): You collect a bonus Coin for each region you occupy.  Once per turn per opponent, you may substitute a lone race token for a Sorceror from your reserves to conquer an adjacent region.
Dragon Master Dwarves (8 tokens): You may use the Dragon to conquer a single region using a single token.  You collect an extra Coin for each Mine your Dwarves occupy, even in Decline.

You may claim the race at the top of the column (Flying Ghouls) for free, or spend Victory Coins to choose one lower on the list.  Forest Skeletons cost 1 Coin, Mounted Amazons cost 2, and so on.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 01:11 pm by dustbuster » Logged
TheDarkFlame
Uselessness Personified
Fart Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 03:44 am »

Okay, I'll pay three to start as Heroic Elves.

My eleven Elves are invading the board at:
28 (two)
34 (three)
41 (two)
42 (three)
43 (one + reinforcement roll)

And then I'll place my two Heroes at 28 and 43. If, this time, it isn't stupid and wrong again.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 04:12 am by TheDarkFlame » Logged

dustbuster
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 04:02 am »

Your reinforcement roll came up blank (the die has three blank sides, and three sides numbering 1-3), so that invasion fails.  Now you can redeploy any of your race tokens and also place your Hero tokens.
TheDarkFlame
Uselessness Personified
Fart Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 04:10 am »

I think Haphazard Elves would be a better description of how this is going to turn out.

So, I'll place my Heroes at 28 and 41, with one Elf at each. I'l also put four Elves at 34, and my other five Elves at 42.

Last attempt at not being stupid? Don't put money on it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 04:25 am by TheDarkFlame » Logged

dustbuster
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 04:36 am »

DarkFlame gains four Victory Coins from occupying four regions.

The new race is Fortified Wizards (8): Once per turn you may place a Fortress in a region you occupy.  The Fortress provides +1 defense and is worth 1 bonus Coin.  You collect one bonus Coin for each Magic region your Wizards occupy.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 02:33 am by dustbuster » Logged
BSam
Vice Douchelord

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 04:43 am »

If I'm doing this right then I pick Mounted Amazons and will invade the following.

6 (two)
11 (one)
16 (one)
10 (three)
14 (three)
9 (one)
13 (two)
8 (one + reinforcement die)
dustbuster
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 04:47 am »

You rolled a 1 on the reinforcement die and your last attack succeeded.  Go ahead and redeploy.

By the way, if I don't happen to be online when you submit your turn, please include your redeployment orders as well.  You'll have to come up with two sets of orders based on whether or not your final attack succeeds, but that shouldn't be a big deal.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:47 am by dustbuster » Logged
BSam
Vice Douchelord

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 04:51 am »

My redeployment is two units at 6, 11 & 8. One on each of the rest (16, 10, 14, 9 & 13).
dustbuster
Technocratic Libertarian

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 05:12 am »

BSam gains an impressive eight Victory Coins from occupying eight regions.

The new race is Swamp Humans (9): You gain 1 bonus Coin for each Swamp or Farmland region you occupy.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:28 am by dustbuster » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length