Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2017, 10:01 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Sanctum Sanctorum
| | |-+  My Little Kony: Viral Videos are Magic
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: My Little Kony: Viral Videos are Magic  (Read 14399 times)
Zach
Artist, Allusionist, Ape
Admin

Human, all too human

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 06:04 pm »

Matt
Fart Wizard

Quoth the raven, `Hmmm.'

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 10:33 am »

MadPiper6
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 10:50 am »

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2012/03/18/031812-news-kony-2012-folo/

Kony's wife explains the breakdown a tiny bit.
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 02:24 pm »

I'll go with that explanation. Everyone who didn't totally approve of his video was entirely to blame and should feel ashamed of themselves for making him go crazy, strut around nude and slap the ground like an orangutan.

Edit - heh, you said "Kony's wife"
MadPiper6
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 03:09 pm »

I read it more as "dude had a panic attack, not a chronic vicodin enthusiast, for the record"
locnar
Captain Obvious

My balls. Look.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2012, 03:34 pm »

As a chronic vicodin enthusiast, I can say I've never taken off my clothes and gone all orangutang on the sidewalk.

I mean, I've wanted to.  I've just never had the energy.

Evidently no one likes a quitter
or an old punk's bitterness
So I'm waiting for a tap on the shoulder
Because we're all getting older, not better
And the laughs are no longer with us
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2012, 03:44 pm »

TMZ has obtained more footage of Russell completely losing his shit

http://www.tmz.com/2012/03/18/jason-russell-video-naked-meltdown-kony/#.T2XvknnCeII

What's alarming to me is the amount of IC supporters deciding to blame this on Voodoo.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 03:55 pm by Chez San » Logged
MadPiper6
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2012, 05:25 pm »

Along another line - I have a lot of and therefore no opinions on this subject, almost none (all?) of which have anything to do with the actual stated purpose of Kony 2012.

That said, I have a question: is this how we treat idealism, or is the dismissive mockery that the effort receives genuinely out of a respect for the Ugandan crisis and the importance of accurate awareness-raising? Somewhere in the middle is also possible, I guess.
(I checked, it's not loaded).
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2012, 05:54 pm »

I think that almost all of the (vast) public support the Kony campaign has drummed up is a very positive reaction to its idealism, and that a lot of the dismissive mockery is a quite reasonable response from some people who suspect that they're somehow being duped. It'd be unfortunate if the end result of all this was to make people meaner to each other, but I don't really see it like that.
VoodooTissue
Butt Expert
Buddy Friend Pal

KNIFE PARTY JORTS REMIX

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2012, 09:24 pm »

TMZ has obtained more footage of Russell completely losing his shit

http://www.tmz.com/2012/03/18/jason-russell-video-naked-meltdown-kony/#.T2XvknnCeII

What's alarming to me is the amount of IC supporters deciding to blame this on Voodoo.

Innocent until proven guilty, baby.

But holy shit, that is some A-grade meltdown insanity. It seems really difficult to conceptualise what could make a person go from (presumably) perfectly reasonable to absolutely bat-shit insane in the space of a few weeks. Even if there was some sort of underlying instability that we obviously never got to see (not exactly a thing you'd highlight in an awareness campaign), it's just difficult to look at how composed he is in the videos and then to see him like that and imagine what the living hell happened in between to make him fly so far from sanity.

Nielsen
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2012, 10:05 pm »

I know I'm a bit late for the pcp party, but this is definitely my favorit video. It might not live up to the golden standard, but this dude has some insights!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kHtVICLjz4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kHtVICLjz4</a>
Starts at 1:02
DoctorShenanigans

DEFINITELY Not Qualified To Practice Medicine

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2012, 02:51 pm »

This is a pretty good article.

I am a mobile game designer, check out my NEW PORTFOLIO!
Bettytron
Fart Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 11:32 am »

That is a good piece.

This stood out.
People of color, women, and gays -- who now have greater access to the centers of influence that ever before -- are under pressure to be well-behaved when talking about their struggles. There is an expectation that we can talk about sins but no one must be identified as a sinner: newspapers love to describe words or deeds as "racially charged" even in those cases when it would be more honest to say "racist"; we agree that there is rampant misogyny, but misogynists are nowhere to be found; homophobia is a problem but no one is homophobic. One cumulative effect of this policed language is that when someone dares to point out something as obvious as white privilege, it is seen as unduly provocative.
Marginalized voices in America have fewer and fewer avenues to speak plainly about what they suffer; the effect of this enforced civility is that those voices are falsified or blocked entirely from the discourse.

CatAstrophe
Gay Dolphin Sex
Hurker

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2012, 09:36 pm »

That is an absolutely amazing piece.

fermun   haha, if killing babies offends you, this may not be the show for you
Luna Fortuna

Rock Stacker

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2012, 10:26 pm »

That article made me think very hard about how I should approach becoming a foster parent. I'm grateful you linked it and glad I read it.
jimbob
AKA Billy
Book Smart

Chelonoidis nigra

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2012, 11:03 pm »

That truly wonderful article has revealed to me the existence of G-d in all our hearts.

Chronicles
Recovering Alcoholic

Friend of the Future

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2012, 01:36 am »

Gay-dwarves don't actually exist

Zach
Artist, Allusionist, Ape
Admin

Human, all too human

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2012, 03:22 am »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1FKS1SHSsc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1FKS1SHSsc</a>

Lladnek
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2012, 01:18 pm »

Even Ugandan Victims of Kony Say Some ‘Kony 2012’ Methods Are Offensive

The ‘KONY 2012’ video will likely hit 78 million views by the end of today but Ugandans in the area affected by Joseph Kony the worst haven’t seen the video because there is no internet access. And the few Ugandans that attended an outdoor screening of the viral video this week were throwing rocks at the screen before the film was even over.

AlJazeera followed Victor Ochen of the African Youth Initiative Network to Northern Uganda for a screening of “KONY 2012” in Northern Uganda, the area worst affected by Kony’s rebel resistance army.

They interviewed a man who was abducted by the Kony’s army who said he supports the efforts to arrest Kony but went on to say some of the promotional tactics were insensitive.

Others complained that were no Ugandans speaking for themselves. The film upset them so much they were throwing rocks at the screen before the film was even over.

“It’s propaganda for a western viewer,” Tavia Nyong’o, associate professor of performance studies at New York University, said in an interview with Colorlines.com’s Jamilah King. “Any African watching it feels very strongly like we’re not in the picture—there’s no African complexity, and there’s certainly no African agency.”

“The way they present the facts and information and history of the conflict and their solution is not something that is by any means the common point of view amongst Ugandans,” says Nyong’o. “They say it’s ‘not about politics and it’s not about the economy’ [in the video], but it’s actually all about politics and the economy.”
fermun
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2012, 02:00 am »

Kony did the Boston Massacre.
>:(
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length